Hong Kong Disneyland TR - Ep1 of Disney Around the World

Royal Consort

DIS Veteran
Last month I embarked on a ‘Disney Around the World’ trip where I visited numerous Disney parks and resorts in succession. I have begun posting my trip report of each resort in the corresponding board. Opinions given within these reports are purely subjective.

Episode 1: Hong Kong Disneyland
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52469028#post52469028
Episode 2: Tokyo Disney Resort
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52469087#post52469087
Episode 3: Disneyland Resort Paris
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52469155#post52469155
Episode 4: Disneyland Resort
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52514347#post52514347

The Disneyland Hotel.

We arrived in Hong Kong late one Thursday afternoon and decided to take a taxi directly to the Disneyland Hotel. As per my meticulous planning I knew that I was supposed to take the blue taxis but after waiting approximately half an hour at the airport in the heat and witnessing a grand total of three blue taxis arriving at the pickup spot, we thought we’d just spend the marginal extra and take the green taxi from the adjacent queue. Crisis solved. The trip itself was madness with an enthusiastically speeding driver who managed to take sharp turns at high velocity without injury. I felt I was getting into the Disney vibe by experiencing a version of EPCOT’s Test Track.
Upon arriving at the Disneyland Hotel I discovered that it was everything I had hoped. Surrounded by luscious vegetation and looking out onto the South China Sea we were welcomed to Disney style hospitality and friendly smiles. We had been very fortunate to book Kingdom Club rooms for our two night stay and found the lounge opulent and relaxing with its Victorian charm whilst never once feeling pompous or pretentious. The Disneyland Hotel is similar in design and concept to Walt Disney World’s Grand Floridian, however, I feel it far exceeds it in terms of style, elegant sophistication, and higher quality rooms. Its footprint is much smaller than its Floridian inspiration but that only adds to its charm as you’re saved navigating a sprawling monolith. Subtle and not so subtle Disney details are abound from the mural of Sleeping Beauty Castle in Paris to glass slippers adorning the chandeliers. The hotel felt like it justified its price. Something I take issue with at a few Disney properties such as the Grand Californian where I don’t feel you quite get what you pay for.

On our second day we treated ourselves to the Disney Dim Sum which I had wanted to do since I heard it was available. The Dim Sum was very cute and although I wasn’t taken by the flavours as much as I’d hoped, the pictures and novelty were well worth the time and effort. As far as décor goes the Crystal Lotus is semi-formal in style with a definitive Asian influence and a view that looks directly over the hedge maze and sea. I would definitely recommend a meal here. I was honestly surprised at how much tea I drank during this meal as I tend to avoid it.

Disneyland Park

I had a great deal of anticipation leading up to entering the Disneyland park (more than the Tokyo version). I had expected an adaptation of the Anaheim design with its own twist and flavour. I believe that this is the best description of the park. It looks and feels like a brighter, newer, Anaheim Disneyland. It’s as if one of those refurbishment TV programs came in and plussed the original park and this was the big reveal. It is known by friends that I tend to become disproportionately excited by a paved Main Street as it looks and feels so much nicer than cracked bitumen. Main St was enticing! The only disappointment was that much of Main St was still under tarps for refurbishment.
I scoff at Anaheim Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle. I do. I know that I have probably offended a vast majority with my daring heresy but as an anchor and icon it’s hardly visible from the end of Main St. Not so in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle is a direct replica of the Anaheim version (one with straighter lines and improved workmanship) and is clearly visible from the Main St station. There are two reasons for this: the first is that the castle is not obstructed by vegetation offering a direct line of sight, while the second (and I only think I’m right) is that Main St appears slightly wider for a full view of the castle. The castle removes any trees and bushes from either side allowing it to seem more a building and less a façade. The mountains behind the castle frame it in the most spectacular way ensuring that when you pass beneath the entrance tunnels and turn the corner, you cannot help but be wow-ed. I defy anyone to be unimpressed with the beauty of this park. With the exception of Disneyland Paris, this park is the most beautiful of all the magic kingdoms. It may be small but it makes up for it in design and aesthetic.
Guest anticipation whilst approaching a Disney park is of vital importance to me. For Paris its Fantasia Gardens and entry beneath the magnificent flagship hotel that builds the excitement before you turn the corner onto Main St. For Hong Kong it’s the stunningly beautiful fountain featuring the Fab Five leading you towards a higher, more visible, Main St Station with enough breathing space to make an impact.

Adventureland

Hong Kong Disneyland feels light on attractions but heavy on theming. Moving clockwise around the park Adventureland is the first stop. Anaheim’s Adventreland had become confused over the years and because of lack of space it has combined the Middle East with Africa/Asia in a bit of a hodgepodge. Hong Kong’s Adventureland is clearly defined as a jungle whereby trees and shrubs are plentiful. Combined with the heat Hong Kong’s Adventureland is the most transformative of the magic kingdoms. Within Adventureland exists a multitude of shops selling the same kitsch merchandise as everywhere else along with restaurants, Festival of the Lion King and one real ‘attraction/ride’ which is Jungle Cruise. Depending on the day I may consider Toyko’s newly refurbished Jungle Cruise as the most impressive but Hong Kong’s is pretty darn good. Various queues exist for the language of choice and the cruise ends with a spectacular finish that managed to scare the poor lady opposite me half to death.
The main focus of Adventureland is Tarzan’s treehouse. Whilst I generally find these attractions ‘one and done’ Tarzan’s Treehouse works well here as an icon and anchor point as it defines the land. The Jungle Cruise incorporates it into its ride and being on its own island provides a pleasing visual presence. It is also a wonderful way to enjoy the view over the magic kingdom.

Grizzly Gulch

Both Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point are challenging to access. They cannot be accessed via the hub and are situated behind Adventureland. The location is awkward but I understand that with an already established park they had no other alternative. It does ruin the ‘flow’ however as you either need to pass through Adventure or Fantasyland to visit. From Fantasyland you have to travel first through Toy Story Playland (a land I’ve never really enjoyed in Paris).

Not replicating Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was the best decision made. Big Grizzly Mountain, in fact, touches on all the same plot points that Big Thunder does while also making more obvious sense. Of course! Bears make their way into a mine train and cause chaos! A hybrid of Big Thunder and Expedition Everest (the Everest trains are used here- took a while to get used to) where you take the wrong turn, ride backwards, and are shot out a cavern as baby bear steps on dynamite. This is a multi ride attraction that’s whimsical and simply too much fun. The ride could be higher and it could be faster but they’re minor gripes for this is Disney doing what Disney does best; immersion.
The town of Grizzly Gulch itself is a great little ‘mini frontierland’ with lopsided buildings and gags galore. I am glad this is exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland as each park having an identity and attractions all their own makes them distinctly different and special.

Mystic Point

If you aren’t going to have a Big Thunder, why not disregard a Haunted Mansion and do something completely original? An elderly expat, a monkey with a not-entirely-defined relationship to said expat, an enchanted music box and a journey through a collection of antiquities. There are two rides I consider that showcase the best of Disney Imagineering and it is this and Sindbad in DisneySea. Albert the monkey is beyond adorable and the trackless technology is a novel approach to storytelling. The final room in this ride demonstrates one of the best climaxes of any Disney attraction. Jade sculptures coming alive, a storm occurring, walls blowing out and vases flying away left me feeling that I had experienced something unique and special. Unfortunately the lunch we bought at the Explorer’s Club next door didn’t dazzle to the same degree.

Toy Story Playland

…is there. I’ve never liked this place. I can understand what the Imagineers had attempted to do by shrinking guests down to the size of toys in a backyard surrounded by what seems to be grass but for some reason it doesn’t click for me. Perhaps it’s because I don’t care for the attractions which feel basic but it has always felt more an afterthought. Therefore we shall move right along. Tallyho!

Fantasyland

Fantasyland, oh Fantasyland. You’re supposed to be the heart of the magic kingdom. You’re the lure, the star. You’re the place where you can fly over London, you can go down a rabbit hole, you can drive wildly through cut out frogs or be constantly reminded to eat your fruit by senior citizens. You’re not meant to simply have Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, Teacups and Small World (and Phiharmagic) and call it a day. Without a doubt Fantasyland is the weakest part of Hong Kong Disneyland. Not because it’s unattractive, it’s stunningly beautiful. It’s just because very little is there. Where you’d normally find Snow White and Pinocchio you find a restaurant. The numerous restaurants within this park are one of my biggest gripes. For a park this size there doesn’t need to be so many. Some of the space used for the multitude of eateries could easily be used to house attractions. I was also surprised that the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride had not been updated for Hong Kong Disneyland. This was reinforced by experiencing Tokyo Disneyland’s brilliant version. Of all the lands we spent the least amount of time here. Although there’s very little to compare here to other parks A Small World was the best version of the ride. I wish the powers that be cared just a bit more about Fantasyland here rather than the ‘bare bones’ they left. It could be great.

Tomorrowland

The most divisive and controversial land in any Disney park has to be Tomorrowland. Gone are the days where Tomorrowland presented an interpretation of the future mixed with technological innovation. Now Tomorrowland is the place you stick your franchises that have anything to do with space or they just don’t fit anywhere else. This is an endemic problem in all magic kingdoms other than Paris. At least Tomorrowland here has been interpreted somewhat as retro but the ‘Discoveryland’ steampunk/speculative fiction concept gives an easier and more definitive theme to work with. Alas, Tomorrowland it is and Space Mountain sure looks cute and curvy! Onboard audio – check, smooth track – check, loading area with items that look slightly questionable from certain angles….ummm…
Space was fun. I missed the launch and wondered why that wasn’t incorporated from Disneyland’s version but from what I could tell, it seemed the same track. I wouldn’t go on Space Mountain as a child. I thought it would have been traumatic. If I could travel in time I would give myself different advice.

As far as parades go, I’m not sure I’m a parade person. Unsure if that is because I can’t be bothered with the wait any longer or whether the idea of a parade is more interesting than the execution. Flight of Fantasy though is kinetic. Floats filled with moving parts and characters swinging like pendulums. Probably worth a gander. It doesn’t get better.
…and so the sun begins to set on our two days at Hong Kong Disneyland. A ‘greatest hits’ or ‘sample size’ Disneyland that offers unique and varied attractions, some old and some new. What it doesn’t do is disappoint. My only criticisms are that too many restaurants have been built within the park to the detriment of attractions…and the poor merchandise. Having the opportunity to visit other Disney parks means I don’t feel I’m personally missing out by several staple attractions being left out in Hong Kong but it would have been nice for the regular guests and tourists. As a regular Disney park frequenter I’m more interested in the atmosphere within a magic kingdom park. The intricate theming, the beauty, and the gorgeous mountains framing this park make it the diamond of the magic kingdoms. It may not be as big as an emerald or ruby but it certainly sparkles. That, ladies and gentlemen, will be the most twee statement featured in my trip report.

Next, from one Asian park to another. Tokyo Disney Resort bound!

Thanks for taking the time to post. I feel like I have a better understanding of what to expect when I eventually visit HKDL.

I think this series of posts is my favorite thing I've ever read on the disboards. Such a fun read -- so well written with lovely pictures and just the right amount of information to get a good overview without a bunch of spoilers. Thank you!

Great TR. I think you decribed HKDL perfectly. I loved the resort area, the walk from the hotel to DL (but perhaps you didn't do this as you were there during there summer!) the beautiful landscaped gardens and both hotels are stunning, far above par with the American Disney hotels. I'll pop over to your Tokyo TR!

Great report. How were the crowds? It looks quiet in the photos, but they may have been taken early! What were the wait times like?

Thanks for the TR - a well rounded review for the Disney veteran! :) I look forward to reading the others. popcorn:: Thanks for posting.

I've been thinking of a trip to Tokyo - haven't been there yet.

Awesome trip report. I cannot wait to read the other TRs you've written. I completely agree with you on the beauty of HK Disneyland. Size doesn't always matter. DL Hong Kong for me captured my heart by its amazing island setting by the sea. The breath taking mountain scenery framing the castle makes the smaller Anaheim like castle much much more impressive.

I'm so jealous of your 4 Disneyland parks in one trip. 10 years ago I promised my gf if I win loto we'll do a round the world trip taking in all the Disney parks around the world. In December 2011 I got part way there and visited DL Hong Kong and Paris for 5 days each on the same holiday. It's great to compare.

Thank you :goofy:

such a well written trip report, I really enjoyed reading it thanks so much. I tried to write my report but have failed miserably. It is 12 months to the day since we left and I am making another concerted effort to at least get something half decent up to share.

I had never really considered HK Disneyland. We have done DL & WDW and I perhaps ignorantly thought that anything other than these would be second best or second cousins. Your report has certainly given me food for thought. We are maybe thinking of a Disney cruise is 2016 but if we can squeeze another Disney trip in 2015 I'm all for it!.

Off to read your other reports now.

I had never really considered HK Disneyland. We have done DL & WDW and I perhaps ignorantly thought that anything other than these would be second best or second cousins. Your report has certainly given me food for thought.

Thanks lffam, your comments are appreciated. Many people think the same way about the international parks. I love the US parks but feel a bit differently about them to others. Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are the originals and Disney Imagineering has learned so much since the development of them. The international parks are generally more immersive with better theming and landscaping than the US ones. Saying that, WDW and DL are fantastic destinations.

Thanks lffam, your comments are appreciated. Many people think the same way about the international parks. I love the US parks but feel a bit differently about them to others. Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are the originals and Disney Imagineering has learned so much since the development of them. The international parks are generally more immersive with better theming and landscaping than the US ones. Saying that, WDW and DL are fantastic destinations.

DW just said that she would love to go to HK. I have no idea what else there is to do there (other than shopping) so about to start some research. how many days would you recommend? and what are the advantages of staying at one of the Resort hotels? Are they adjacent like Grand Californian so walking to the park? sorry don't mean to hijack your thread.

DW just said that she would love to go to HK. I have no idea what else there is to do there (other than shopping) so about to start some research. how many days would you recommend? and what are the advantages of staying at one of the Resort hotels? Are they adjacent like Grand Californian so walking to the park? sorry don't mean to hijack your thread.

Iffam - I spent 10 days in HK in 2012. Not to shamelessly self-promote, but I did write a TR on the things that we did see in Hong Kong during that time. We had 2 full days in Disney and spent the rest of the time sighseeing HK. You should be able to find it on this section of the Disboards; if not, let me know if you want me to PM you the link. I think there are a number of others that have written TRs lately on HK; so it may well pay to do a search or at least sort based on number of views on this section of the boards.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Resort hotels for the Disney part of your trip and then moving to the city for the rest. The HK resorts are a 10 minute easy walk to the gate.

Backing up what PrincessInOz said really - there's a lot out there in terms of general Hong Kong information. Several documentaries and travel tips can be accessed through YouTube. Being such a world city there's endless things to do and see.

How many days for Hong Kong in general or simply Hong Kong Disneyland? This question depends on your interests. More and more I am spending down time in the Disney hotels and there's no better place to do that than at the Disneyland Hotel. You could do every ride within a day and catch Paint the Night at close. However, if you're a Disney parks fan two to three days would be recommended. This would allow you to do things such as the Disney Dim Sum at the Crystal Lotus, and have a drink in the lounge in the Disneyland Hotel etc. We spent a bit of time on the balcony relaxing thinking "this is just special" for ages.

Hong Kong Disneyland is located within the most spectacular location of any Disney park in the world and to not enjoy that would be a shame.

As for the city, you could probably spend 4-5 days easily to explore the city and check out the main sights such as Victoria Peak.

There's no 'real' advantages of staying onsite (such as early entry, they don't do that) other than location. Hong Kong Disneyland is relatively difficult to access from outlying accommodation so staying in one of the two hotels is a benefit. Magic Access (annual passes) offer more benefits including % off merchandise and dining and have several tiers. If you're there for several days one of these works out cheaper.

The location of The Disneyland Hotel is similar to the walk from the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim to the park. It's about 10 mins but through a beautiful forest walk (see my last pic) rather than an ugly shopping district. You can also take the shuttle from either hotel should you prefer. This takes about 3 mins before you get to the gates but it usually works out quicker walking rather than waiting for a bus.

Iffam - I spent 10 days in HK in 2012. Not to shamelessly self-promote, but I did write a TR on the things that we did see in Hong Kong during that time. We had 2 full days in Disney and spent the rest of the time sighseeing HK. You should be able to find it on this section of the Disboards; if not, let me know if you want me to PM you the link. I think there are a number of others that have written TRs lately on HK; so it may well pay to do a search or at least sort based on number of views on this section of the boards.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Resort hotels for the Disney part of your trip and then moving to the city for the rest. The HK resorts are a 10 minute easy walk to the gate.

Great TRs, Royal Consort.

I missed these replies I'm sorry.

PIO I found your TR a great read indeed!

RC - thanks for the pointers to youtube I will check that out. We have nothing concrete just yet, it was a passing idea and then I started reading about HKDL which then peaked my interest. As different as it may seem, we are also now considering a "White Christmas" 2015 somewhere so that has certainly thrown a different spin on things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter