Honest question about carry-ons.......

Size 10? LaraK and I have you all beat.... ;)

But are you clumsy? Because I have had these feet (size that is-I had the feet themselves for awhile now) since I was in 5th grade (around 10) and I STILL have not gotten used to them! I trip over the darn things all the time. Which only brings on another round of teasing from DH who is like a :cat:

I love picking up all the tips on this kinds of threads. For me, however, being plus sized, buying what I need isn't an option. I've NEVER seen shorts at WDW in a plus size. Even the 2x t-shirts are cut too small for me (around the belly area). I had to buy my DD13 at women's large in a t-shirt because they're just cut way too small. I have learned, from my past trip and this thread, other ways of cutting back though! Thanks for the tips and keep 'em coming!

I could easily pack for a week in my 21" rollaboard, but I can't lift it over my head to put it in the compartment. :sad1: I'd love to have all my stuff with me and not trust it to the airlines.

You should remind your daughter that foot size is a female hereditary trait.... ;)

:lmao: The little bugger already is starting to get that Olive Oil look-big feet and a beanpole! And she's constantly "going to a flood" if you know what I mean:rolleyes1 . I could go to Disney 4 times a year if I wasn't always spending $$ on new shoes and pants.

When my husband, daughters aged (at the time)17, 15 and 4 went to the World in 2000, each of us had a duffel bag. The older 2 daughters and I also had a big purse. We stayed for a week, in September.

Since September is usually warm, we only had shorts and tshirts. We only took about 4 or 5 of each, 1 or 2 pieces of nightwear, underwear of course, and swimming suits.

We took a day off mid-week, (our oldest wasn't feeling well) and just explored Downtown Disney, swam in the hotel pool, and did a few loads of laundry. It worked great.

We didn't bring glow sticks, or toys to play with while waiting in line, or snacks, or bathrobes, or slippers, or pillows, or a crockpot, or water filters, or our own beach towels, or misting fans, or a sewing kit, or clothespins....

Last Feb., we drove down, and I did the opposite and brought everything. Big mistake!! We were so overloaded with stuff we didn't need.

I'm one who has decided to do only carryon from now on...way too much hassle doing checked bags.
I will pack travel sized toiletries....shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste. I can buy what I need when I reach my destination. A pair of jeans on my body, 2 pr of shorts, 4 tees, or what the weather at the destination dictates.
My sister-in-law travels the world with just a large backpack!!!
Most resorts/hotels have laundry facilities...no big issue doing a load of laundry at night.

It's hard to do carry-on if you are traveling with young kids. I did pack an awful lot of "what-ifs" with a toddler/little kid. Besides all the diapers, I always made sure I had plenty of medicines, since sickness tends to strike in the middle of the night!

I do carryon if I'm going to places I travel to a lot. I have stuff stashed at friends' houses, and so I just need some clothes and I'm set.

I'm in the midst of packing right now (we leave tomorrow!!) and I am now rethinking some of my items! I have a bunch of "what-ifs" going that are not necessary. Thanks for the thread and the advice!

I'm in the midst of packing right now (we leave tomorrow!!) and I am now rethinking some of my items! I have a bunch of "what-ifs" going that are not necessary. Thanks for the thread and the advice!

I'm packing today too! We'll be arriving at WDW around 11 am tomorrow!!
I'll have no problem packing light, but my DD26 is quite another story! I can't seem to get it through her 26 y.o. head that she does NOT need to pack co-ordinating shoes/sneakers for each outfit! :lmao:

I'm packing today too! We'll be arriving at WDW around 11 am tomorrow!!
I'll have no problem packing light, but my DD26 is quite another story! I can't seem to get it through her 26 y.o. head that she does NOT need to pack co-ordinating shoes/sneakers for each outfit! :lmao:

Point out to her that Minnie/Mickey/Cinderella or whoever, only has one pair of shoes. :rotfl:

I've a few times on DIS (though possibly not this forum) the suggestion that you put a day's outfit in a ziploc bag - one bag for each day. While this may make getting dressed easier in the morning, it is definitely not the way to go if you want to pack lightly - there is no need for a completely new outfit for each day.

I admit that I (well, it was done for me) did this once - I was visiting my grandparents for a long weekend when I was 5 (I was flying as an UM, and flew the day after my fifth birthday, so I was pretty much exactly 5) and she was convinced that I'd go around completely mismatched if she didn't do so. It was only a long weekend, and being the messy brat that I was, I probably needed that many changed anyway.

My big issue is shoes - I run and have shoes that I only run in (I go through them quickly enough that way, without wearing them down by walking around in them) and running clothes - washing in a sink and hanging to dry doesn't work for me, as the slight extra stiffness from hanging dry rather than drying in a machine is enough to seriously irritate my skin. I do "stuff" my shoes though - socks etc. go in the shoes.

i am packing only for myself,\ this time, as im just going with friends, but even with the family, we traveled with only carry ons.

ive packed already for my 6 day trip. since im wearing an outfit down, i pack 5 tops, 5 pairs of socks and underwear, an extra pair of jeans, two pairs of pjs, a bathing suit... throw in a razor, a brush, and my little bag of toothpaste, shampoo and the like... thats it! then i put my wallet and all those things in a bag i carry on me and that i put under the seat on the airplane.

rolling shirts gives you more room than just folding them.

I've a few times on DIS (though possibly not this forum) the suggestion that you put a day's outfit in a ziploc bag - one bag for each day. While this may make getting dressed easier in the morning, it is definitely not the way to go if you want to pack lightly - there is no need for a completely new outfit for each day.

I admit that I (well, it was done for me) did this once - I was visiting my grandparents for a long weekend when I was 5 (I was flying as an UM, and flew the day after my fifth birthday, so I was pretty much exactly 5) and she was convinced that I'd go around completely mismatched if she didn't do so. It was only a long weekend, and being the messy brat that I was, I probably needed that many changed anyway.

My big issue is shoes - I run and have shoes that I only run in (I go through them quickly enough that way, without wearing them down by walking around in them) and running clothes - washing in a sink and hanging to dry doesn't work for me, as the slight extra stiffness from hanging dry rather than drying in a machine is enough to seriously irritate my skin. I do "stuff" my shoes though - socks etc. go in the shoes.

I like the sock stuffing idea!

Can anyone tell me how to just reply to part of a post???? I can't seem to figure it out:headache:

I like the sock stuffing idea!

Can anyone tell me how to just reply to part of a post???? I can't seem to figure it out:headache:

I just do the normal quote and delete what I don't want, I'm sure though, that there is a "proper" way. There is also a multiquote feature - if you highlight what you want and then click the multiquote button (bottom right) you can quote from numerous posts at once.

The other thing that goes well in shoes is small breakables - a bottle of perfume, for example. Saves room and protects the bottle at the same time.

I've packed for a family of four in just carry on's for a week in Mexico. This included snorkel gear for all of us (but only one pair of fins). Ironically its my husband who has the most trouble with it. He usually has a stack of "I might want it's".

We also just got back from 10 days at WDW over Christmas in which we had one checked bag for the 4 of us. It makes it a lot easier that we were in a townhome with a washer dryer.

I don't mind having two outfits and alternating them and doing laundry every other day. The hard and fast rule is only two pairs of shoes. One pair of tennis shoes or hiking shoes and one pair of sandals/flip flops. Wear the heavy shoes on the plane.

I'm pretty low maintenance appearance wise so I don't really have any temptations to bring special outfits/shoes/lotions/potions. We're training our kids the same way.

myself, whenever i've travelled solo to disney, have always been strictly carry-on with no problem (between 3 days and a week's worth - i can easily travel "light" alone!)

now, with DH, that's another story.....

forced him once to travel to disney with only carry-ons - he complained every single day how he didn't have a new, clean set of clothing (i had us wearing our shorts 3 times - they weren't dirty, just worn)

he's something of a prima donna with his changes of clothing on vaca... :rolleyes1

washing in a sink and hanging to dry doesn't work for me, as the slight extra stiffness from hanging dry rather than drying in a machine is enough to seriously irritate my skin. I do "stuff" my shoes though - socks etc. go in the shoes.

I take it that you don't like crunchy underwear either?!

For all that I do pack in a carry on size, I actually abhor taking carry on luggage. I even started a thread about it this year. I don't like to use the bin space and dragging it around behind me like a dog is annoying. Try and use the bathroom with your 21 inch carry on sitting in front of you.

It's a pain, and I will still do checked luggage whenever I can. Tonight I landed, cleared immigration, took the train to baggage claim and my suitcase came off the ramp just as I approached.

Excuse me, I have to go rescue my laundry from the sink now so that I will have dry (if crunchy) undies tomorrow.

I take it that you don't like crunchy underwear either?!

Excuse me, I have to go rescue my laundry from the sink now so that I will have dry (if crunchy) undies tomorrow.

I have found if I use a shampoo/conditioner combo to wash out clothing in the sink, it dries a lot softer than if I use any other kind of soap. The shampoo leaves all the hand laundry smelling really good too. I find it to be a good use of shampoo if I'm buying a bottle on site instead of trying to go 3-1-1 or putting a bottle in a checked bag, since I never seem to use it all on showers alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter