Homemade Holiday Presents! Lets help each other! Ideas WANTED!

A few ideas:

Apples & Caramel Dip - Small (pint) canning jars filled with wrapped caramels (Kraft are the best), and the recipe for making caramel dip. I printed the directions on a decorative card and tied it to the the canning jar lid.

Can you share the recipe for the caramel dip?? TIA! :goodvibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
my favorite homemade present that's an easy one. My DH's Grandmother is an awesome cook. She is amazing and has kept some of her favorite recipes a secret for many years (her reasoning is that no-one would invite her to the event if they could make her pasta salad :) ). About two years ago, she sat down and hand wrote(it's so nice to see Grandma's pretty handwriting on each page and that in itself is a little part of who she is) each of her favorite recipes and put them into a book for each of her granddaughters and her grandson's spouses. She included a photo of herself and a little of her family history with each book, she also included a favorite memory of either her granddaughter or grandson in each book. It is wonderful keepsake that I'll treasure always. When my sons get married, I can give their wives Grandma's Chicken Noodle soup recipe and it will be a chance for us to honor Grandma.[/QUOTE]

How sweet! It brought tears to my eyes!

So, you guys have me on the ball this morning and I'm making my cookie list. Does anyone make dough ahead of time and freeze it? I'm prego this yr and get tired fast. If so, does it taste the same?

I do make dough and freeze it. I think it tastes just the same although it's probably only in my freezer 1-2 weeks. A friend of my mom's told me that it's easiest to do all the mixing at once and then all the baking at once. She was the consumate hostess and entertainer and it does work great. I have all the mess of mixing one day and only cookie sheets on baking day.

Candy Apples-Put a stick in apple,dip in melted carmel,let cool-Dip in melted milk chocolate and then a topping such as toffee,nuts etc.-Put in a pretty plastic bag!!!

wow! love that idea about the candy apples. Thanks!:santa:

Hi!

I thought afterwards "I should just go ahead and add the caramel dip recipe". But, of course I didn't:rolleyes: We are still in the process of moving so I'll look for it. If I remember, I belive it was only a matter of 1-2 Tablespoons of milk. The neat thing is that the dip is microwaved in the jar, then it can be sealed with the lid(s) and reheated when needed!

I also thought of the one I did last year. A 7 or 8 Bean Soup Mix. This also included a seasoning packet that I made and included. Again, I'll look for the directions. The one thing I DIDN'T do was put these in canning jars. I made 30-40 gifts and the jars were too expensive. I purchased clear cellophane bags, layered the ingredients (used a piece of cardstock to keep the bag open, then pulled the cardborad "tube" out). The after sealing I placed the clear bag in a Christmas cello bag. This could also be used for those dry cookie recipes in a bag! In the gift bag I included a box or two of corn muffin mix (depending on the family size). Wal-mart brand was 2 boxes/$1. Also, Wal-Mart had all the dried beans that were needed.

Something else I did, was I premeasured each ingredient or "layer" into small cups. Then each "set" of layers were grouped together. So for each bean soup "gift" there were 7 or 8 small cups and then the seasoning packet. I made these up in groups of 12. That way if the phone rang or if the children were killing each other, I didn't forget something. AH, my anal retentiveness is showing!

I purchased two books that have all these great Jar ideas, so I'll include the names of them, too!

I love the cookie and muffin gifts, but always feel bad that so many extra ingredients have to be added.

I have done several baskets: movie, self-time out, spa, beach,, ...Self time-out I put in 2 popular mag., some instant coffee (like the french vanilla kind), word search, cross word...Beach is for the end of the year and it could be pool as well. I put in 2 mag., water and flavoring, sunscreen, beach towel and some other things that I may see.

Last year for Christmas I made a candy and cookies. It was very time consuming for 10 teachers, but it kept the cost down. I did peppermin bark, oreo bark, rolos on pretzels, cracker candy, and then some baked cookies. I bought an inexpensive container. Wiht this gift I gave the recipe for the items as well.

I'm doing Yankee Candle and Bath and Body Works baskets this year.

I've been stocking up from sales all year long and have quite a selection of both Yankee Candles and Bath and Body Works stuff.

I buy my baskets at the Dollar Tree and then put glittery basket filler in each -the Bath and Body Works one has about 7-8 small bottles of different scents and different types like hand cream, bubble bath, body wash, etc.......I'll also put in a loofah sponge, some votive candle holders I found at Dollar Tree (really nice too for $1) and about 6 Yankee Candle votives. I may also put in a nice razor (free from ECB's at CVS)

The second basket I've already made has an electric tart burner (ABC Distributing for $7.95), around 20 different scents of Yankee Candle tarts, a bic candle lighter and a Tony Stewart christmas ornament stuck in the middle of everything (person is a big Tony Stewart fan).

When done, I'll wrap the baskets up with that cellophane see through wrap and tie it up with a big bow with Christmas ribbon from the Dollar Tree.

Haven't decided what to do for the guys in the family this year.

I have done several baskets: movie, self-time out, spa, beach,, ...Self time-out I put in 2 popular mag., some instant coffee (like the french vanilla kind), word search, cross word...Beach is for the end of the year and it could be pool as well. I put in 2 mag., water and flavoring, sunscreen, beach towel and some other things that I may see.

. .

I love the idea of adding the magazines! I would never thought of that, and everyone likes to read that stuff right, just not buy if for themselves~lo! I think I am going to use that beach basket idea for the end of year teacher gifts! Thanks for the idea!

love the self time out and beach basket ideas--good for a summer bday too!

Applesauce/cinnamon ornaments. They smell great! You mix the applesauce and cinnamon together and roll it out and use cookie cutters or make what ever shapes you want (clay like) let them dry and there you have it. (don't have the quanties of applesauce...cinnamon but can probably find it if needed).

I'm so sorry I some how missed this one! Could you tell us the recipe? Thx:)

I'm not very crafty, and not a very good cook either, so I don't do many "homemade" gifts, but one thing I've done in the past that was very cheap was to order personalized sticky notepads from VistaPrint. You can get 1 pad (or maybe it's 2) for free (just pay shipping). I customized the text on the pad with a message for the person I was giving it to (i.e. "We love you Mom!" or "Michelle, best sister ever!"). Everyone loves them. I was thinking this could be a nice addition to some of the baskets people are talking about.

You can also get points at Mypoints for VistaPrint orders.

One year I made no sew fleece blankets for everyone. They ar eall still in use, and, in fact, my 25YO nephew told me he was glad I made him and his ex-GF each one, because when they split up they would have been fighting over it.

I still make them for baby gifts and the occassional birthday.

I'm toying with the idea of making a "family cookbook". It won't be a big surprise to anyone since they will have all contributed. It will be similar to what churches and clubs do, but smaller and much more personal. (I'll have to print it myself and get it bound at Kinkos I guess).
I want to include the recipes that my relatives are "famous" for: my aunt's rolls, my mom's chicken and noodles, Grandma's pot roast...that sort of thing. I think many will appreciate it and it will be something treasured as the years pass.
I hope some are willing to give up their "secret ingredients". :goodvibes
I'd also like to get family members to write up a short paragraph of a fun family memory that I could disperse throughout the cookbook. Adding pictures would be awesome, too.
Wow. I better get to work!

This month's Family Fun magazine has an article about creating a family cookbook that includes a link to a website where they have free templates for this.

lisalovesmickey metioned VistaPrint...another idea through them is their photo magnets. I was able to get 10 magnets for free during one promotion they had. They're constantly having great promotions with everything from free postcards and note cards to the mini sticky pads and business cards.

For grandparent presents, we've purchased a couple of the 3 picture matted frames and included 1 picture of the girls, then a drawn picture from each of my daughters. This has been a huge hit!

We've also done the photo calendars-always a winner!

One year I had a Pampered Chef party in the fall and purchased several of their smaller mixing/measuring bowls (with the credits from my party), then small spatulas and wooden spoons. I then did the various dry cookie or brownie mixes in the measuring bowls with the utensils attached for great teacher gifts.

I'm so sorry I some how missed this one! Could you tell us the recipe? Thx:)

Sorry I didn't post this sooner... here are a few different ways of making them. If you use more spices than just the cinnamon it smells a bit different, they all smell so good! Also, I wrap mine in baggies to store them and they have smelled good the last 4 or 5 years still!

Recipe #1
1/2 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup store bought applesauce (homemade sauce will likely be too watery)
Or, any equal portions of both ingredients depending on the quantity you desire.

Directions:
Stir together cinnamon and applesauce with a spoon until the dough becomes stiff, then use your hands to create a ball of dough.

Place the ball of dough on a sheet of waxed paper, flatten slightly with your fingers.

Place a second sheet of waxed paper over the top of the dough and roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick.

Use cookie cutters or your own template shapes.

Air dry creations on a waxed paper-covered cookie sheet or a cooling rack for at least 24 hours until they are completely hard.

Recipe #2
Mix 1 cup cinnamon and 1 cup applesauce with 1 Tablespoon of white glue. You want a consistency that can be rolled with a rolling pin but not quite as sticky or it will stick to your counter! Sprinkle counter with cinnamon and roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters. Cut a hole in shape with the straw so you will be able to hang them. Let dry about 24 hours. They shrink as they dry. Cut lengths of gold thread, make loops and hang. they will keep their scent for a few years. Refresh scent with cinnamon fragrance oil.

Recipe #3
1 cup cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground cloves
1 tbsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. allspice
1 tbsp ginger
3/4 c. applesauce

In medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, allspice,
ginger & nutmeg. Add applesauce, stir to combine.
Work mixture with hands 2 to 3 minutes or until dough
is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut dough with cookie cutters.
Using straw or pencil, make small hole in top of ornament.
Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 150 degrees for 1 hour
Remove from the cookie sheet and bake on the oven
racks for another hour and a half.

Use these ornaments to decorate gifts, hang on tree, etc.

Recipe #4
Combine a 16 oz. jar of applesauce, 8 oz. or more of cinnamon, and 1 oz. of either allspice, nutmeg or cloves (I use allspice).
Combine all ingredients and mix *very* well.
Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness (putting plastic wrap around the rolling pin works well).
Cut out the ornaments .
While dough is still wet, poke a hole in each ornament .
Dry in a 150F oven for about 3 hours, turning halfway through.

Creative tips:
For extra "sparkle," mix in decorative glitter.

Make your own shapes by trimming the dough with a table knife following around patterns you've cut from cereal box cardboard.

After cutting out shapes, use a drinking straw to create holes for jewelry or ornaments.

Use toothpicks to make smaller holes for threading. Leave in dough until dry and remove.

For a wall hanging, thread a colored ribbon through the shape.

For a brooch, decorate with fabric paint and glue a metal clasp pin to the back (available at craft stores).

Decorate creations with acrylic paint or fabric.

The creations can be used as decorations on a gift box or bag.

Important note: Adult supervision and participation is required for this activity.

I found four of the travel 'scrapbook' mugs on clearance at Target today (about $5.68 each), so that is what the grandparents will be getting from DD2.5 for Christmas this year. We can use stickers, glitter, etc. and really personalize them for each grandparent. I will probably put a packet of cocoa in each, wrap in tissue paper and maybe tie it off with a painted wooden ornament from her as well. (Craft stores usually sell them for $.50-$1.00 each) Wow, FOUR people off of my Christmas list already for a total of about $30! :cool1:

NemoMOm,

I have made all my Christmas cookies by making the dough, freezing or refrigerating. I then roll them out and bake them and again put them in freezer then ice them another day. I have made as many as 15 batches of dough one year just for roll out cookies so this is a big project. Guess what? I quit making cookies a couple years ago. :lmao:

I also make Russian Tea cookie dough ahead and put in fridge. I make the peanut butter kisses also and nearly every dough. It is much easier to make one big mess making all the dough first.

For the roll out dough, I used the plastic bags that use twist ties. I put about 1/3 batch per bag and then pat them in a round and flat shape and stack them inside a large tupperware container to freeze. I take only a few at a time out so they stay chilled to make rolling out easier. It worked well for me.

I used to send family out of state homemade cookies packed in tins or Tupperware containers (when I sold T ware) so they got a double gift.

None of us need the calories anymore.

I love, love, love these ideas! I'm trying to be very budget-thoughtful this year so these ideas are much appreciated...keep em coming! :goodvibes

I have been saving tins from General Food International Coffees and similar tins for years--I have dozens--waiting for a project. Does anyone have a good idea how to use them?

I love making Christmas ornaments. I found an easy one last year that was a great hit. I scrapbook and have lots of paper which is what I used. These work great if you theme it, music notes paper for piano teacher, team colors for sports fans, etc.

Use the clear glass Christmas ornaments found at Hobby Lobby/Michael's.
Cut strips of paper 1/2" x 3", roll around a knitting neeedle and place inside the ornament. Super easy and look neat. I'll see if I can find a pic to post too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter