Home resort swap?

texhanddoc

Let me tell you about how much I procrastinate...
Ok, I am wondering if this happens. Lets say I have BLT points and I want for a change to stay at BCV. Does anyone set up "swaps"? Where you trade your 11 month window for BLT for lets say a BCV 11 month window? Or is this too difficult to set up?

Theoretically it might happen. I've never done this in the last 10 years. Whenever I wanted to stay at another resort, I just tried to book it at the 7month or less time. ** edited to add: Please do yourself a favor and buy where you love to stay or at the least where you'll be content to stay. The smaller resorts like VWL and BCV can be harder to book at the 7 month mark. There seems to be more availability at the larger resorts- SSR, OKW, and AKV.

An interesting thing to do... set up a conference call with the memnber you want to swap with... you call MS together at 7 months, cancelling your original resort, then book the other. I know their system can do it simutaneousely, but if MS is quick, it could potentially work.

I think the reason it doesn't happen very often is because you have to set this up before the 11-month window opens and find someone who wants to stay at your home resort who happens to own the resort you want and who wants to stay at approximately the same time. Each of you would be making and renting out a reservation to the other but with no cash changing hands, unless the two reservations weren't considered "equal" and some cash was exchanged to make up the difference. Each of you would need to trust the other party since that other member could cancel your reservation at any time during the 11 months between when you book it and when you check in.

Personally, I think it would be easier to do the following instead: use your points to make a reservation for a renter and use the cash to pay another member for a transfer of points from the the appropriate home resort. Once you have those points, make your own reservation at the 11-month window, a reservation which you will own and control. Just make sure that the reservation you rent out is non-refundable since you will be spending the money you take in for the points transfer! This is pretty standard practice anyway (or should be in my opinion) if you make a reservation for a renter.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Probably not because it really puts you in the position of being a renter.

And, if the time for travel is not close to each others, someone is getting to go first. Since the reservations remain in the name of each owner, there would be nothing to stop someone from canceling the others reservation after they return from their own.

Not that many owners would do this, but just a risk and a hassle that I don't know a lot would take on.

But, you never know. The only other thing would be to try and find someone who would be willing to transfer you their points (and you transfer them yours) but due to the one per UY transfer, they would have to be for different UY's. For example, you transfer them your 2010 points, and they transfer you their 2011 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter