Home Resort Choice for 2BR Villa

swinnet

Earning My Ears
We have been doing some research and looking to become DVC members via resale within the next year or so. From what I have read, home resort can make a big difference in being able to get the room you want at the 11 month mark, especially for studios. Our family will pretty much always require a 2 bedroom villa at the smallest. I've heard the larger rooms can be easier to obtain at the 7 month mark. I'm wondering if I can be more flexible with my home resort given that we will be booking the larger rooms, or if it is still necessary to buy only where we want to be? We are looking at CCV, AKL and BWV mostly, but we like OKW as well and could obviously afford more points there. We are just worried about getting stuck there and not being able to get villas in other locations when we'd like to switch it up. I know I should buy where I want to stay, but we are looking at getting two contracts, one with a more particular location and another for cheaper points. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BWV has only lock off 2 bedroom units and the first rooms to book up, usually, are studios which means the 2 bedrooms disappear at the same time. There is more 1 bedroom availability there.

Copper Creek, I think you'd be ok for 2 bedrooms there. Seems to be good availability even at 7 months for 2 bedrooms there.

AKL, I can't give you any advice but I'd like to hear what others say.

In general the studio is the toughest, followed by 2BR, then 1BR. However at BWV, there are no dedicated 2BR. This means all 2BT are LO, so you must have studio availability in order to get a 2BR. So at BWV 2BR availability is the same as studio at 7 months, which is pretty tough most times of the year. CCV is also tough to get 2BR at 7 months. Jambo House also has no dedicated 2BR so availability is poor. Kidani has lots of dedicated 2BR and is in general less popular than Jambo, so even studio availability is fair at 7 months. OKW has reasonable 2BR availability at 7 months.

Forgot to specify....I was talking about 11 months window. BWV can be difficult to get a 2 bedroom at 11 months. CCV, not bad at 11 months.

I would add..... when I say availability is good, that is Jan - August. At 7 months from Sept to Dec, other than SSR and maybe OKW, there is limited availability of anything including 2BR and even 1BR. You may find availability, but not wide open. You might not be able to get 7 days, or the 7 days you want. And at 6 months and 29 days (or seconds after the 7 month window opens) there may be no availability at the "premium resorts".

cheaper points

You understand that means you will be moving around right? I would just get all my points at CCV or BWV and be done with it.

You can always stay at AKV or OKW if you want but CCV or BWV you really need to own there for a 2BR various periods of time during the year. CCV simply because so many points are in the cabins for for BWV the issue is its only lockoffs so no stand alone 2BR to book so once the studios are gone the 2BR is gone as well.

BWV can be difficult to get a 2 bedroom at 11 months.

Meh just when CCV is going to be harder to get around Jersey Week, maybe Thanksgiving, and first week in December. Other than that you can get in although it might be in the Garden View instead of Boardwalk or Standard.

You understand that means you will be moving around right? I would just get all my points at CCV or BWV and be done with it.

You can always stay at AKV or OKW if you want but CCV or BWV you really need to own there for a 2BR various periods of time during the year. CCV simply because so many points are in the cabins for for BWV the issue is its only lockoffs so no stand alone 2BR to book so once the studios are gone the 2BR is gone as well.
Yes, sorry if I wasn’t clear. I meant that the second batch of points would be used for a different trip entirely. We generally go for multiple shorter trips throughout the year.

In general the studio is the toughest, followed by 2BR, then 1BR. However at BWV, there are no dedicated 2BR. This means all 2BT are LO, so you must have studio availability in order to get a 2BR. So at BWV 2BR availability is the same as studio at 7 months, which is pretty tough most times of the year. CCV is also tough to get 2BR at 7 months. Jambo House also has no dedicated 2BR so availability is poor. Kidani has lots of dedicated 2BR and is in general less popular than Jambo, so even studio availability is fair at 7 months. OKW has reasonable 2BR availability at 7 months.
I didn’t consider this about BWV. Very helpful, thank you!

IMO you want Kidani in a 2br since you gain a bathroom (23 instead of 2 full bathrooms at Jambo). Yes its not by the quick service but only you can say if that is that important to you. Won't comment on the pool since everyone will have different preference.

Really OKW and AKV are going to be a wash with OKW likely going a tad earlier but still doable outside the busiest DVC times.

Yes, sorry if I wasn’t clear. I meant that the second batch of points would be used for a different trip entirely. We generally go for multiple shorter trips throughout the year.

I would likely just do BWV and CCV then as you will then have a trip in each prime area for parks each year.

Allow me to pitch the 2BR lock off at BLT. It also has the extra bathroom, and the studios at BLT book fast, especially cheaper views.

BLT points are awesome value with an unmatched chart on the monorail.

If MK is your goal, BLT is the obvious choice. You can always get a savanna AKL for a couple nights without AKL points, if you aren’t traveling super peak.

Agree with all PPs , I too second BLT & AKL Kidani for the 3 Bathrooms in 2br villas, love my CCV but our 2brs are smaller than BLT & Kidani (may or may not be an issue for you).
Here is a link to a predicted DVC booking pattern, it's a little out of date and pre-covid, but "may" give you a feel for booking availability at the resorts.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/

I would buy wherever is the cheapest. OKW expires in 2057 but has the cheapest point chart and best 3 bedroom point chart. AKV jambo 3 bedroom has a pool table in the room.CCV is the best resort over Christmas. If you are primarily booking 2 beds, then you should be fine in the 7 month window at any of those resorts. BWV has only lockoff units so that one is a bit trickier. 1 beds are usually available there. I lean towards buying either OKW or AKV

I agree OKW is the no brainer choice if you need 3BR. The chart is ridiculously low, and those rooms and stalked and walked at 11 month. The OKW 3BR is one of the best values in all of DVC.

IMO you want Kidani in a 2br since you gain a bathroom (23 instead of 2 full bathrooms at Jambo). Yes its not by the quick service but only you can say if that is that important to you. Won't comment on the pool since everyone will have different preference.

Really OKW and AKV are going to be a wash with OKW likely going a tad earlier but still doable outside the busiest DVC times.

I would likely just do BWV and CCV then as you will then have a trip in each prime area for parks each year.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter