Home from Israel

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
Well, we got home this weekend from our 12-day Israel trip. It was absolutely amazing. I could go on and on. But I thought I'd say a few words about how this trip compared to the two ABD's we have done.

We were traveling with a group of fellow congregants from our temple, along with our rabbi, who is a great guy. Our tour guide is part of a well known tour company in Israel. The guide had an incredible amount of knowledge -- there was no need to get a "local" guide anywhere, he just did it all himself, and spent most of each bus ride giving us more and more information about history (from biblical times, through the Romans, the crusaders, and everything else up through the present), current events, flora and fauna, you name it. Much of what he said, however, seemed to go over the kids' heads. He stayed at the front of the bus, and did little to engage the kids. There was no playing of hand games or singing songs (like Disney guides have done with my kids). He had a pleasant style, and was friendly, but was more of an "educator" (his words) than a cruise director.

This was a "multigenerational" trip, with about 10 kids ages 9-14. We did a few activities which were clearly geared towards the young at heart (an archeological dig, a walk through a water grotto, making our own lunch at a kibbutz) but overall this trip was not geared towards kids. This was probably the only negative difference between this trip and an ABD, with a possible second being that we had very little free time - often we'd get 40 minutes "free" time to grab something to eat and fly through a shop before having to rejoin the group, but this was balanced out by the fact that we had such a busy touring schedule (both good and bad - you see more, but get less time to experience it on your own).

A major positive of this trip were the opportunity to get to know a group of people who we can now see easily on a regular basis as part of our temple family. This is in fact a very lovely "plus" - we even have a reunion planned in a few weeks to share pictures. People in the group definitely supported each other in a special way, knowing that we were building friendships that would last.

All in all, the trip was fabulous, and probably the best way to see Israel, where different people will want to emphasize different sights and stories. I did find myself at times wishing we could do a little less educating and a little more entertaining, but that's for my next trip, I suppose!

Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time. I do think that what you mentioned, about it being a way to build relationships with people at your temple, makes it a very special trip, indeed.

Will we be seeing pictures?

I'm going to be in the Tel Aviv & Jerusalem areas, but only for 4 days. Anything in particular you think I should tell my sister I want to see? I'm definitely planning on going to the old city, and doing a walk along the walls, hitting the Wailing Wall, but beyond that, I'm pretty open.

Thanks in advance!
Sayhello

Jerusalem was definitely an amazing place to see. I wished we had more time to wander around - there is a lot going on! We did a walk on the top of the ramparts (careful on the stairs - they have been worn smooth and slippery!) which gave you wonderful views. I really enjoyed the Cardo (main street, sort of, in the Jewish quarter) and seeing the restored Hurva synagogue. The day we visited the Christian quarter it was very, very hot - be prepared, like you would be on the SWS tour, with a sun hat and lots of water. The spaces are quite small, the bazaars are full of tourists, and things get kind of crazy.

The modern part of Jerusalem is lots of fun too. Ben Yehuda street has lots of shops and people out on the street at night (it is a pedestrian street, no cars). Try the ice cream at Aldo's - it's like being in Italy! Also check out the chocolate bars which have pop rocks in them - these were a big hit with the kids.

There is a lovely overlook which would have been a great picture opportunity, but we got there a little late and it was already dark. I could just picture our Disney guides lined up with all our cameras, taking group pics... but alas, not this time.

We only had a short time in Tel Aviv - it is a great city, with very interesting skyscraper architecture, sort of like Miami. I didn't expect that at all. We spent some time walking along the beach at sunset - out of this world beautiful coastline.

I'm excited that you'll be there too, and so soon - not to mention all the rest of the Med trip! Are you all packed yet?

Thanks for the info, glassslipper2004!

I can't believe I'm going to be in Israel soon, either! And the Med in just a little over 2 weeks! No, I'm not packed yet. I've started "staging" stuff (piling it up near the suitcase) but if I actually started packing now, I'd pack half my house! :eek: I keep doing the "Well, maybe just one more T-shirt. Maybe another pair of shorts. Well, this top, too..." Sad, but true!!! ;)

Sayhello

I completely understand. This time I packed more than I needed in the way of "dress up" clothes, but could have used a couple more t-shirts. I also packed some shorts I didn't use, because we needed our knees covered on many days so the capris got more use. But I did right packing some water shoes for the Dead Sea and Rosh Hanikra. Win some, lose some!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter