Holidays with family this year

I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I put the invite out, and people will do what is within their comfort level. No pressure to come or hurt feelings if they pass.
We have a smaller family gathering for Thanksgiving. Total of 15 if everyone comes.

Xmas is celebrated too many times each year between the different sides of my relatives and DH's. Wish that would be tamed down a bit, mostly cuz it's a pain running so many places....

We will get together with out immediate family for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
We have seen them all along, so no different.
Everyone is home and not seeing other people, except DS has to go to work.

We go to WDW in early December and will isolate when we get home, so we will be able to do Christmas.

There are just 7 of us.....me, DH, DS, DIL, 2 grandkids and DD

Xmas has always been my family's holiday. When my mom got sick last summer, we canceled Xmas as a family last December (1st time ever).

She passed in January, so we were already planning to just be us for Xmas even before my leukemia diagnosis...now, that's a certainty going forward (with 4 kids, my spouse, and 2 cats...and the neighbor friend of my kids who is always allowed in, it's still a "full" house, so if last year is an indication, it should still be a lot of fun)...

Thanksgiving has always been my in-laws holiday. They stopped wanting late fall/winter visits about 5 years ago, so we made that just a family holiday then.

So, we'll have both at home, but neither really for Covid-specific reasons (I'm not gonna travel in flu season ever from now on, so even if Covid goes away, winters will be here, unless I'm snow-birding and resetting for months)...

We are looking for drive through and walk through light shows for the holidays, and ways to make it special (we have done ICE for a few years, but I think that got canceled in our area b/c I have seen no ticket advertising)...

My son is working on Thanksgiving, so I will be going to my brother-in-law’s for dinner. I have been to their house three times since this all started. My sister-in-law and I had lunch together once in a restaurant. I am comfortable with this plan because I know they are taking precautions. There will only be four of us for dinner (they have a 13 year old daughter). Christmas is a different story. Usually my nephew has a gathering a few days before Christmas. This would be my niece, nephews, their spouses and all of their children. As much as I will miss this annual gathering, I am going to decline (if they decide to have it). Too many people and just too much risk for me. I am 69 and have some health issues.

I am just resigned to the fact that 2020 is going to be different in all respects.

We usually host my Dad for Thanksgiving. Some years, my in-laws join us. There is never more than 7 of us total. However, my daughter comes home from college the day prior to Thanksgiving and he doesn't want to chance any exposure from her, so he won't be coming over this year. I'll see if he would be comfortable picking up some food from us that day and I can meet him in the driveway, masked up. My Dad usually comes over for Christmas Eve and I'll have to see if he feels comfortable doing so this year.

We won't be hosting our big family Christmas Eve party. Its the best night of the year and we are all bummed about it, but we know its the smart thing to do in the midst of a pandemic.

If we lived in a southern/warmer climate and could gather outside where we could socially distance, then we would all get together like we did throughout the summer at our neighboring places on the lake.

The holidays will be spent with the regular household residents in all probability.
DGD’s mother would like to take her to SC for Thanksgiving but I’m hoping she thinks further on the current obstacles before I have to say anything.

I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I put the invite out, and people will do what is within their comfort level. No pressure to come or hurt feelings if they pass.
We have a smaller family gathering for Thanksgiving. Total of 15 if everyone comes.

Xmas is celebrated too many times each year between the different sides of my relatives and DH's. Wish that would be tamed down a bit, mostly cuz it's a pain running so many places....
This is your chance

Not a firm decision on Thanksgiving yet. I might be staying home rather than going to my sister's gathering, but only because my aunt (who I live with) lost my uncle in February and is planning to stay home. I think I should stay with her.

Christmas is usually a very big thing celebrated in our finished basement, with everyone gathering and partying. That too is up in the air, both because of my uncle's death *and* Covid. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone gathered, but if that's the case I am staying in my bedroom no offense to them but I ain't getting sick again.

Business as usual so far.

I’m hosting thanksgiving for my mother’s family and already sent out the invite. Whoever isn’t comfortable doesn’t have to come and no one will take offense or say a word. It’s how we roll. :)

Christmas Eve is when we celebrate (Christmas Day is to relax) and that is undecided. We usually do that with SO family but there’s been a falling out (with the family in our area) so that probably won’t happen. I’m thinking of doing NYC if the tree is up and if ice skating is on.

New Year’s Eve is spent with friends and I’m sure that’ll still happen. We do a house party.

Last edited:
Holidays being held at our house is a decades long tradition. First it was my parent's house, then ours, and just this year we passed it on to our oldest daughter's family (husband and I now spend part time in an apartment in the basement) Rest of the family all lives nearby. We are considering sealing off spaces with plastic sheeting. Dining room/kitchen and family room both already have tables in them, and we can put a table in the entry hall. Those three spaces are accessible with out going through any other, and have access to separate bathrooms. We are certainly loud enough to hear each other through the plastic! May have to use spaces heaters to warm these areas vs using the furnace. Still discussing as a group if this is really feasible.

Usually my mom and aunt take turns hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas, 15 of us total. This year each family is doing its own thing. DH and I will visit my parents (2 hours away) on both holidays, just for the day, just the 4 of us. We have already visited them a couple of times for milestone birthdays this year, but they are literally the only people we have socially met with in person (other than food/gift drop offs) during lockdown, and vice versa. And even then, no hugging or cheek kisses and we all try to stay socially distant.

We're still in the wait and see camp.......I've been with our sons and family a lot over summer but most of the time we were outside; not sure how I feel yet about them all being here at the same time for the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter