HOJO Disappointment

I❤MICKEY

DIS Veteran
This is our first stay and decided to give it a try based on the AP rate and the amount of positive reviews. I can not express the disappointment I currently feel. This will be my one and only stay.

I made my reservation for the HOJO (11/17-11/22) in March of 2012. My sister and I decided to surprise my Mom with a DL visit. My DS are 2 & 4. My sister is 20 weeks pregnant and has a DD1 and DS2. My mom is disabled and required a handicap accessible room (shower seat, raised toilet, bars). When I spoke with in house reservations In March I requested a handicap accessible room with joining standard room. Initially i was told they were unsure if the handicap room could be booked at the AP rate. But then i was told it would be and that I my reservation would be noted. I called three weeks ago to confirm I had a handicap room and joining to a standard room. I was told that was correct. When I arrived today I was told we didn't have a handicap room. I was floored. Denise (at the front desk) was very nice and did reach out to the manager. There were a few options:

1) We could have a joining rooms but neither would be handicap accessible. They would provide a shower chair and toilet riser but no bars in the bathroom.
2) we could get a handicap room but my sister and her kids would be on another floor.

Both options stunk. My mom needs the bars to help pull herself off the toilet and to get into the shower. The whole benefit of staying here was to be together. So now we are in a handicap room and my sister is on the second floor. There is no elevator so she has to leave her stroller in my room. A hotel employee helped her carry all her bags up the stairs. My mom isn't able to enjoy all her grandchildren together. My sister is basically alone. The whole situation stinks. Made even worse by the fact that I called to confirm three weeks ago and was assured I had a handicap room with a connecting room with 2 doubles.

At least they provided a rollaway at no charge for my DS so he can sleep in my room as we had planned for him to sleep in one if the doubles.

The manager didn't even come out to talk to me. He just kept sending Denise back and forth. This really shows me how little they care about their patrons. What was he doing that he couldn't be bothered to speak to me and apologize for their error.

Oh, and the wi-fi is spotty at best.

One and only stay! Never again!

wow that's terrible. I've never stayed there but I am sorry you are having that experience.

Very similar situation happened to our last atempt to stay at HOJO. I was specificly told we had a handicapped room with a roll-in /roll-out shower. Hum-- I did same as OP I called prior to arrival to confirm the room. I again called a few days prior to arrival checking that HOJO had assigned us a handicapped room. What--- NO-- we were only given a room with bars in the tub area. HUH tub. Husband is confined to a wheel chair, is unable to stand let along walk or put his leg over a tub. What the heck. I had a hospital bed ordered to be installed for our stay so HOJO knew we really did need the room.

I have to say we were offered other arrangements for rooms (daughter and son-in-law along with two grandkids were being treated to this trip by husband and myself). We wanted and needed connecting rooms for medical reasons. This is how HOJO was going to solve our issue-------- take the people out of the handicapped room, the one with the roll-in/roll-out shower. HOJO stated they only had one of true handicapped rooms on property. They have handicapped assisted rooms, the one with the tub bars. Did HOJO give the handicapped room to guests not really needing it? If so shame on HOJO for not saving that room for guests needing the roll-in/roll-out shower since they only have one. I want to think the guests in that room did need it and might have been a walk-in reservation. HO-JO was going to move the guests staying in the this room. Moving the guests was not an option in my opinion. If they did not need the room why had they been placed their in the first place. I would never take a room from someone in need to that room as I know how I would feel should that happen to me. I was given a guarantee of same room rate when ever I wanted to stay there again with a guarntee that we would get the correct room. I scrambled to get a reservation else where. We were lucky to get a reservation at DLH for our 5 nights. Really lucky as unknown to us the premier of the new Pirates Movie was during the time we were at DL :(. DL was so buzy that day during the time we were able to do rides and such. Worse issue was DL closed very early so no fireworks or fantasmic.

I actually got it in an -e-mail from the manager at the time. No black out dates-no expire date for a stay anytime in the future.

I would be happy to stay there again if and when I do a solo trip. I can not take a chance knowing what happened when my husband travels with me.

My reply to the OP is to inform anyone that needs a true handicapped room to make sure beyond a doubt that your needs will be met.

Wow, so bad!

I think that you should edit the title of your forum thread to specify that there were problems with ADA rooms. The reason being is that you can bet that others search for this info on the forums, and, when a hotel sees enough complaint over a certain issue (this one being HUGE), they are more inclined to take action.

I personally love HoJo, but this issue is shameful. I'm sad to think that a place that's always been so hospitible to my family is so hard on others. I hope they fix it...

My reply to the OP is to inform anyone that needs a true handicapped room to make sure beyond a doubt that your needs will be met.

normally I would agree with you but with your story and the OPs I have to wonder how you go about confirming. Sounds like the employees tell you yes to everything even though its not what will happen when you get there. When the policy is to lie until the customer is there in person I don't see how anyone can truly make sure they are getting what they requested. Not good service by HOJO. Seems like if you have special requests then HOJO is not the place to go.

When I arrived today

You're now on your second day. Have you talked to the manager yet?

I would imagine that someone else got the rooms they said they had before, an adjoining set of rooms with one of them being accessible. Is that person/group still there? Can you guys be moved now? Tomorrow? etc?

Complaining here can be helpful because hojo does read here (and reply, and try to make things right). But complaining there, in person, right at the time you need help, is MORE useful. And can change things around during your stay, not *just* be a post to help others in the future.

I can imagine how disappointed that must have been for your family. I will say though, that I was clearly told by HOJo when I asked about connecting rooms thy it was only a request. I wasn't willing to take the chance that my family
might be separated so I found other options. It's too bad if they didn't clearly communicate that it was a request only. I'd be really bummed too if I had shown up expecting a particular arrangement and find out that it wasn't possible.

Oh no I Heart Mickey! I'm so sorry to hear that. What happened to Homewood? But then again, you probably remember what happened to us there with the smoking room. Personally, we don't like Hojo so much, that's why we *were* Homewood fans, but our fav really is Residence Inn.

Now that the weekend's over, hopefully Hojo can make things right for you. Try to enjoy your trip!

geekypeach said:
Wow, so bad!

I think that you should edit the title of your forum thread to specify that there were problems with ADA rooms. The reason being is that you can bet that others search for this info on the forums, and, when a hotel sees enough complaint over a certain issue (this one being HUGE), they are more inclined to take action.

I personally love HoJo, but this issue is shameful. I'm sad to think that a place that's always been so hospitible to my family is so hard on others. I hope they fix it...

I tried to edit the subject based on you recommendation but can't figure out how to do it using the mobile app. I'll try when we get home.

wannagoback said:
I can imagine how disappointed that must have been for your family. I will say though, that I was clearly told by HOJo when I asked about connecting rooms thy it was only a request. I wasn't willing to take the chance that my family
might be separated so I found other options. It's too bad if they didn't clearly communicate that it was a request only. I'd be really bummed too if I had shown up expecting a particular arrangement and find out that it wasn't possible.

You are right - there is no guarantee. I was told that but that's why i called to confirm. Also, I reserved a handicap room and that wasn't a available. I seriously think they threw this room together. We are the only guests on his floor and there is a remodel schedule taped to our door as well as the others on the floor.

bumbershoot said:

You're now on your second day. Have you talked to the manager yet?

I would imagine that someone else got the rooms they said they had before, an adjoining set of rooms with one of them being accessible. Is that person/group still there? Can you guys be moved now? Tomorrow? etc?

Complaining here can be helpful because hojo does read here (and reply, and try to make things right). But complaining there, in person, right at the time you need help, is MORE useful. And can change things around during your stay, not *just* be a post to help others in the future.

Manager had no interest in speaking with me. He didn't even come to the front desk while I was there for about an hour getting this worked out. He made the employee go back and forth.

They did offer to move my sister to another room that has an elevator since she's pregnant with two little ones. But at this point she would have to pack and move everything. She said unless its a connecting rooms he wasn't interested.

Also, all the handicap rooms are being remodeled. I think that is part of he problem. The room next to ours is empty. We are the only people on this floor.

Cagirl767 said:
Oh no I Heart Mickey! I'm so sorry to hear that. What happened to Homewood? But then again, you probably remember what happened to us there with the smoking room. Personally, we don't like Hojo so much, that's why we *were* Homewood fans, but our fav really is Residence Inn.

Now that the weekend's over, hopefully Hojo can make things right for you. Try to enjoy your trip!

We stayed at Homewood in Sept. had a great experience. Didn't stay there this time because their shuttle doesn't accommodate my mom's scooter. I was able to get the AP rate so I thought it was worth a try.

I do want to say that I personally would stay at HOJO again if not traveling with my husband who needs a roll-in/ roll-out handicapped room. I would hope if I did try HOJO again with husband we would be 100% guaranteed room would be ready on day of our check in.

HOJO is a lovely hotel with very sweet housekeeping staff, grounds staff is very nice, they all say hello each and every time you see them. The front desk employees try to acccomodate every request I have ever asked. I have stayed at HOJO 5 times in the past 7 years. Each stay has always been a very nice experience. We did not need the "true" handicapped room until the last visit we had booked at HOJO. I have stayed at HOJO solo. Since I prefer the premium rooms when traveling solo I have always been very happy with my choice.

Please make note, even one Disneyland Resort property (Paradise Pier does not connect but DLH does) do not have connecting rooms for the handicapped rooms with roll-in/roll-out showers. I might think that would be something that Disney could look at for future.

I just wanted to make sure that even though I had an issue appx. 3 years ago I would still pick HOJO as resort of choice when traveling solo.

Thanks for listening with your eyes --- reading

Please make note, even one Disneyland Resort property (Paradise Pier does not connect but DLH does) do not have connecting rooms for the handicapped rooms with roll-in/roll-out showers. I might think that would be something that Disney could look at for future.

PPH does have handicapped rooms with a tub/bars/shower bench configuration that connect with a regular room. We stayed in a pair of these last week.

Yes true :). I wish we could still use those rooms at Paradise Pier but husband now needs the shower only rooms with 0 level entrance so he can sit his wheelchair next to the pull down shower seat so he can transfer to shower area. It is those rooms I was speaking of :(. I was told by staff at the hotel the room I needed did not have connecting rooms. I know how the original poster feels when traveling with a person that is handicapped. There is so much planning that goes into the trip, the room being the most important. Thinking your needs are beeing met to only find out upon check in that oops there was a mistake. We also rent a hospital bed for husband DL resorts are great about making sure beds are installed in rooms for dates needed. Rental is via Deckerts --we paid 250 for 5 nights. Paradise Pier let me know up front that daughter and son-in-law would be placed next door. ( this was a guarantee via global team). I had keys to our room issued to daghter and son-in-law in the case of emergency. I left the night lock undone and only used the one lock on door so the kids could get in to help me or husband. I know this is unsafe but we felt this was only option for us.

I am able to travel as I do kidney dialysis treatments each evening via paratoneal treatments. To let someone in room for emergency I would need to disconnect myself from machine then answer door. This takes some time but is doable. Having connecting rooms makes life much easier. We did fine with the kids having a key to our room. I do like having that safety lock in use but we were fine. I know we are a pair to draw to but with planning we can still enjoy a trip to DL where we can watch grandkids enjoy the magic of Disney.

PPH does have handicapped rooms with a tub/bars/shower bench configuration that connect with a regular room. We stayed in a pair of these last week.

Yes true :). I wish we could still use those rooms at Paradise Pier but husband now needs the shower only rooms with 0 level entrance so he can sit his wheelchair next to the pull down shower seat so he can transfer to shower area. It is those rooms I was speaking of :(. I was told by staff at the hotel the room I needed did not have connecting rooms. I know how the original poster feels when traveling with a person that is handicapped. There is so much planning that goes into the trip, the room being the most important. Thinking your needs are beeing met to only find out upon check in that oops there was a mistake. We also rent a hospital bed for husband DL resorts are great about making sure beds are installed in rooms for dates needed. Rental is via Deckerts --we paid 250 for 5 nights. Paradise Pier let me know up front that daughter and son-in-law would be placed next door. ( this was a guarantee via global team). I had keys to our room issued to daghter and son-in-law in the case of emergency. I left the night lock undone and only used the one lock on door so the kids could get in to help me or husband. I know this is unsafe but we felt this was only option for us.

I am able to travel as I do kidney dialysis treatments each evening via paratoneal treatments. To let someone in room for emergency I would need to disconnect myself from machine then answer door. This takes some time but is doable. Having connecting rooms makes life much easier. We did fine with the kids having a key to our room. I do like having that safety lock in use but we were fine. I know we are a pair to draw to but with planning we can still enjoy a trip to DL where we can watch grandkids enjoy the magic of Disney.

I totally understand the need for specific rooms. My daughter is paralyzed and self-caths 4 times a day. Those bars and extra room around the toilet are essential for us. This was the first time traveling with friends, and thus my first experience with connecting rooms. I'm glad you can still go and enjoy even with your challenges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter