• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Highlights/flashing white pixels?

ChrisnSteph

<font color=purple>Ask me about Ben Franklin's bat
I have a Nikon D50, and on more than one occasion these flashing white spots show up in the pictures on the view screen. Usually in the brightest or whitest part of the picture. I'll see it on the camera's screen, but the pictures will look fine on my computer. It starts off subtley and will get worse with each picture I take. My gf was shooting pictures on her D70 yesterday, and started having the same problem. I don't remember how I got it to stop before, I think we tried resetting the camera or something. What is this?? I can't find anything about it the camera manual.

looking on your computer screen is not a very accurate meathod as its will be of a very low resolution. If you think of it this way a 4x6 photo at 300dpi is a resolution of 1200x1800. Most computer screens are set at 1024x768 or 800x600. As you can see you will be missing alot of information due to the fact that your photograph is being dumbed down. Now, a camera like the D50 or D70 are a much higher megapixle rateing makeing your photo a resolution of at least 3600x5400 which would be a 12x18 at 300dpi.
Have some photo's printed. Not inkjet as you won't get a high resolution print. Have a couple printed photograpicly on paper which is exposed by light and developed threw chemistry. You will be able to see much more detail that way. If the spots are on the print, it might be dust on the sensor. If now but you have a lack of detail in the bright highlights well, thats just digitol. The pixles get burned out in bright highlights. Sorry I can't diagnose the problem better without seeing it.

fiffy said:
looking on your computer screen is not a very accurate meathod as its will be of a very low resolution. If you think of it this way a 4x6 photo at 300dpi is a resolution of 1200x1800. Most computer screens are set at 1024x768 or 800x600. As you can see you will be missing alot of information due to the fact that your photograph is being dumbed down. Now, a camera like the D50 or D70 are a much higher megapixle rateing makeing your photo a resolution of at least 3600x5400 which would be a 12x18 at 300dpi.
Have some photo's printed. Not inkjet as you won't get a high resolution print. Have a couple printed photograpicly on paper which is exposed by light and developed threw chemistry. You will be able to see much more detail that way. If the spots are on the print, it might be dust on the sensor. If now but you have a lack of detail in the bright highlights well, thats just digitol. The pixles get burned out in bright highlights. Sorry I can't diagnose the problem better without seeing it.

Actually, the problem is with the camera itself - it's on the viewing screen that I see the flashing spots in our pictures, not on the film. It's not normal - we've gotten it to go away, we just don't remember how! It's hard to see how my shot came out when most of the picture has flashing white spots!

I'm just taking a stab in the dark. On my camera, if there are areas that's flashing, it means those area are overexposed. Just get out from the histogram/info area and you should be fine.

Again, that applies to my Canon A95, Canon A80, Canon dRebel, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 20D and Canon 5D.

Kelly Grannell said:
I'm just taking a stab in the dark. On my camera, if there are areas that's flashing, it means those area are overexposed. Just get out from the histogram/info area and you should be fine.

Again, that applies to my Canon A95, Canon A80, Canon dRebel, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 20D and Canon 5D.

Thanks!

Kelly is correct. You are in the histogram function (almost all digi's have them now). The flashing \ bright white areas you are seeing is the overexposed area's aka blown-out.

Do a Google search for "how to use histogram". There's a few guides out there that will explain how to make the best use of your histogram to get better exposed shots.

Kelly Grannell said:

It's one of the viewing options on the D50. Simply cycle through them with the up and down arrows while viewing the pictues for the various options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter