High Peak price anxiety!

Lisavince3

Mouseketeer
I love the feeling like I'm getting a deal, or a bargain, so in most things I buy, I tend to wait until I have a coupon, or it goes on sale. So in planning a future DCL trip (we have done 2 short cruises before, both were on DVC points), I'm having a hard time booking. The times we can go are literally twice as much as off-peak times. I want to go on the Fantasy so badly, but spending $8k in early August instead of $4k for literally the same cruise 3 weeks later is so hard for me to do.

I know we can't sail at those off-peak times for an entire week. I work in a school, all 3 of our DDs will be in school, and their sports schedule makes too difficult. So knowing we're stuck in the high price schedule, which will also be an extremely crowded time, is not enticing. I know we would have a great time, just knowing we are spending twice as much as others who will have the same experience a few weeks later is a hard pill for me to swallow. Any tips from those in the same boat on how to spend the crazy prices and to feel ok about it would be appreciated!

You will most likely have to bite the bullet.

The Fantasy being the newest ship, sells, and even more during high season. It has the occasional *GT fares, but not during those times, and then, it could be limited to adults only, or only one child, due to clubs capacity or muster stations.

Assumption: you are NOT booking concierge...

Your only option I would do is to book a future trip, but have plans on an earlier one. For example, plan on a thanksgiving or December trip and book it. However, keep an eye for *GT rates, which usually come out about 2 months prior to sailing. So in, early June, look daily for *GT rates for early August and jump on them. You could then have DCL (or TA) to move the deposit over to the new res. Of course, it helps better if you drive or don't have issues with flights.

Magic/Wonder tend to be less full and more options for discounts. This year, for example, in February, they had Kids Sail Free even thru president's weekend. Dream also is easier to get *GT rates. But Fantasy ugh...

Finally, book with a TA - that will give you a decent on board credit. And remember that booking on board gives you a 10% discount. I'm hoping you did on your short cruises. If not, book a dummy cruise next time and keep it for the future.

Fantasy is on our bucket list, however we know we would only be able to do it in late August (NJ classes don't start until after Labor Day). In the mean time, we did Dream and Wonder, and are planning on doing a short Magic cruise during the holidays.

In addition...

The Fantasy is currently the only ship sailing from the east coast on a 7-day itinerary. Some people just aren't up for traveling a whole day just for a 3 or 4 day cruise, so we only have the Fantasy to choose. We've been to WDW enough and don't want to split the trip. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this idea. I wish that they had two ships sailing from FL. We would do Galveston, but they're not sailing from there during the summer months.

One day we will consider Alaska or the Mediterranean. When the kids are older and can appreciate it more. But for now, it's kinda limited. I wish the April Fool's joke of two more ships wasn't a joke... :rolleyes1

I wish that they had two ships sailing from FL.

Late fall, you'll have three ships - Magic sails from Miami.

And late fall 2014, you'll have all four ships. Magic will sail from Miami, and the Wonder will sail 7n Western.

OP...as to how to feel "OK" about spending so much - try to book as far in advance as possible. That is your discount, as fares for those popular times will increase over time. It can seem like a long way off to book 18 months in advance, but it will be the lowest fares you can get for the peak times. Then once onboard, make an OBB for the 10% discount and then you can move that when new itineraries are announced for a combined benefit of the 10% plus the opening day rates.

Late fall, you'll have three ships - Magic sails from Miami.

And late fall 2014, you'll have all four ships. Magic will sail from Miami, and the Wonder will sail 7n Western.

Yes. Not peak times as the OP was talking about...

I hear ya! We have to travel this coming winter in March instead of Jan and to sail 5 weeks later its way more money. But like you said, its the only option this year so we'll pay it. I wanted to try Royal Caribbean but DH wants to stay with Disney so I actually just paid the deposit yesterday.

Your best bet for the future is to put the deposit down on opening day of booking which I am going to do for the March 2015 cruises when they are released. It at least saves a little money.
And as others have said, you could also wait for GT rates too. Good luck! :goodvibes

I know where you're coming from. We don't like to take the kids out of school for non-emergency reasons so we're limited to peak times as well. We were able to get a bit of a price break by going later in August since our school doesn't begin until the day after labor day. Certainly not as cheap as September or October, but better than June or July.

You might also check your calendar and see if there's a school break you could travel on - our school has a strange week in late January where the kids only have 1 full day and 1 half day of school that week (exams, President's Day, and the end of the 9 weeks all fall in the same week). We've looked at January 2014 as a possibility where they won't miss any instructional time if we only miss the half day (they are in kindy and first grade, so they don't do much instruction on half days). It would be a real cost savings for us, so I'm going to try to do OBB during our August cruise if it's still available.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Although concierge would be amazing, no we aren't staying concierge. I did look into it and the Royals were going for $33K!!! I guess that makes the $8k sound like a bargain :rotfl2:

I thought by trying to plan now for summer of 2014, it wouldn't be so bad, but I feel it's a lot of money. Yes, we did put a deposit on a dummy cruise back in January, so that will be 10% off, which is great, but after adding flights, transfers, excursions, onboard purchases, tips... We will still be over $10,000 for the week. I've also looked into other times of the year, but our school districts rarely have more than 1 day off at a time, with the exception of Thanksgiving week, December break, and Spring Break. Sailing at those times are just as expensive. I've looked into other cruise lines, and yes, they're cheaper, but they don't really excite me. Darn you DCL for spoiling us! Sigh.

I have not been able to bite that summer bullet. I just can't do it. The difference in price is crazy. We are doing Thanksgiving this year which was also a little higher than the surrounding weeks, but still nothing close to summer prices. So i feel your pain. But as others have said, if that's the only time you can go, it will be expensive. the only other option is to keep planning, but move to summer 2015 and book as soon as dates are released. They will still be more than other times of the year, but not as bad as booking now for 2014.

You didn't say how old your kids are but I assume they are a tad older - middle school or high school. I have been cruising Christmas or New Year's week for the past several years as it is the only time we can go. Yes it is ungodly expensive but my kids are now 17 and 19 and still want to go. We won't have much more time to vacation with them. At this point I feel it is worth it to have the time together and make the memories.

DD was complaining this week that her friends were hanging out at the park for awhile because the house cleaners were at there houses and they didn't want to bother them. She was mad that our entire house is never clean at the same time. Most every weekend we get to one room. It was a decision to forgo a maid and vacation more. Since she decided to do an Alaska cruise for her graduation instead of the beach, she finally agreed that the vacations were worth it.

You have to pick what is important to you and your situation.

We are in the same situation with school breaks. I've found that Thanksgiving week costs a little less than summer and Christmas pricing if you must cruise during holiday time. Also, to help with cost, I book through Sams Club to get their cash card (works out to about 8% off cruise price). Then I buy Disney gift cards at Kroger when they offer their 4x fuel promotion. That works out to about 14% off the gift cards. If you rebook onboard, you get the 10% rebooking discount. All of those things add up. It takes some work, but you can get the price down substantially. Good luck!!

Jodie

We're the grandparents, and we just bit the bullet. The DGC are getting older and we wanted one more DCL cruise, we wanted it to be a week long, so we booked it.

I love the feeling like I'm getting a deal, or a bargain, so in most things I buy, I tend to wait until I have a coupon, or it goes on sale. So in planning a future DCL trip (we have done 2 short cruises before, both were on DVC points), I'm having a hard time booking. The times we can go are literally twice as much as off-peak times. I want to go on the Fantasy so badly, but spending $8k in early August instead of $4k for literally the same cruise 3 weeks later is so hard for me to do.

I know we can't sail at those off-peak times for an entire week. I work in a school, all 3 of our DDs will be in school, and their sports schedule makes too difficult. So knowing we're stuck in the high price schedule, which will also be an extremely crowded time, is not enticing. I know we would have a great time, just knowing we are spending twice as much as others who will have the same experience a few weeks later is a hard pill for me to swallow. Any tips from those in the same boat on how to spend the crazy prices and to feel ok about it would be appreciated!

It was much easier for us when the kids were younger! We basically cruised off peak and enjoyed fewer fellow passengers, a quieter experience, and cheaper prices! Now, our 6th grader says she cannot miss school like years past. So, our next cruise is a summer trip with all the irritations we used to avoid (crowded ship and high prices). Oh well, I guess it is payback time!

DWF

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter