High Definition from STVS?

pooh98378

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if it's worth getting the high definition package from STVS? Is there a big difference in the quality?

Thanks! :)

I wondered the same thing. I don't have a high definition TV yet and I wondered if it would look weird if I ordered a HD DVD and played it on a normal TV. I did hear though that you can produce stills from a HD DVD.

we saw a hd tv next to a normal one and to be honest all i would say is it looks like someone forgot to turn the colour up on the normal one!

I think you can take stills off any dvd, I know we have done in the past but it will depend on what size you want to make the picture, If you are wanting poster size ones then high def would prob be best but normal size ones you should be ok

I dont know about that...

But DH and I have a wide screen HD TV and we do not order the HD cable-- and we have no problem with it... looks normal to us and those who watch tv over here. I suppose it would be like watching a normal movie on a High Def... and we do that quite frequently!!

The only thing I would say that you might want to consider is that times are changing... and as much as older VHS's are still around-- they do look dull on a TV these days. You will keep this video forever so depending on whether the cost is realistic... you might want to go with the better quality just for the future of television programming.:confused3

K guys,
Not exactly sure what STVS (or was it the other way around?) is but please do not think for a second that standard def tv is anything close to the quality of HD television!!

Think of it in terms of your digital camera where typically you used to get around 3 or 3.5 megapixels per square inch. Now they're in the 7-10 range for good reason. TV is no different in this respect. Standard Definition television is broadcast at 480 x 720 lines where as HD is either 1080p, 720p, or 1080i (i for interlaced which is the higher quality resolution, p for progressive which works better for sports and fast moving images). There is no comparison in video quality here, and if you have an HD set with no HD cable/satellite package then you're really wasting the money you spent on a great tv.

HD DVDs (or Blu Ray depending on which format you chose for your DVD player, one is Sony the other is backed by Warner Bros) will play back on a normal DVD player but it will be "down res'd" meaning it will lower the video quality to play on your standard def DVD/TV Set.

Even if you have an HD TV but a standard def DVD player you will get the lower quality video. Now, standard def DVD is actually a higher quality than what is coming through your normal standard def cable/satellite signal which is typically broadcast at 3.75 mbps, but it is nowhere near the 19-20mbps that you will get with the HD DVD experience.

Sorry I'm rambling here, but honestly even true afficienados of HDTV's can tell the difference between cable and satellite HD feeds as well so when you're talking about SD vs HD its truly a HUGE difference...

yes. do it. DH and I do some video editing, DH is looking very seriously into an HD camcorder. I know that if it were available when we got married, there would have been not doubt about it...we would have gotten HD. We do have the HD package from DirecTV...pretty nice! Of course, DH is a huge techie, so we always have to have the latest and greatest (he's currently trying to convince me that we need a new, 62" 1080p DLP tv..., you know, for blu ray and his PS3...:rolleyes: )

anyway, if it fits your budget, do it! :)

c

I'm jealous, PS3 is awesome!!

Beware though not sure anyone is broadcasting in 1080p yet, most premiums and HD channels are still at 1080i. Now I'm all for getting the bigger tv but only the Blu-Ray DVD player will be in the true 1080p format...

I forgot what he said about 1080p, but he's definitely prepping for the future...lol

btw, not to hijack this thread, but I got totally lucky and "happened upon" the PS3...needless to say, he was very, very, very happy... :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter