HHI First Timer Questions

zuzu

Earning My Ears
We are going to HHI for the first time in a couple of weeks and even though we're not DVC owners (yet) I was hoping to get a few questions answered here. We have a 1-bdr and I was wondering what we should take or pick up from the grocery store that we might otherwise forget (like salt & pepper).
Also, I understand from the DVC website that we will have a VCR but are there tape rentals at the resort? Also, is there a fireplace and if so is it gas or do we need to take firewood?
Is there any area outside for grilling somewhere and if so do we need charcoal or is it gas? We plan on hanging out mostly at the resort but I would like to do a "water excursion". Are the kayaks suitable for non-athletes who are also getting close to the top of the hill? Any favorites we should look into? We love nature in general and thought we could also do some birding.

Yes, there are VCR rentals available at the resort (mostly Disney movies).

Only the Grand Villas have a fireplace (wood is provided). There are charcoal grills available, but not always conveniently located.

There is a grocery just 1/2 mile away for any essentials. The villa probably will not have salt/pepper or other condiments, but will be well stocked with cooking utensils and cookware. Dishsoap is provided for the dishwasher and a starter supply of washing machine detergent.

The kayaks are great for most anyone. The programs include instruction in a supervised environment. The Dolphin tour is a wonderful experience.

There are great nature programs with the resort naturalist or on your own. The marsh is home to a wide variety of birds and other critters.

Enjoy!

Great questions! I was wondering the same thing. We check in March 9-first time for us at HHI too. And we're also planning to hang out there, do some bird watching. I'm really looking forward to trying out HHI (and also a 1 BR for the first time, too).

There is a grocery just 1/2 mile away for any essentials.

Just outside this grocery store (Piggly Wiggly) there is a whole row of boxes of free info on Hilton Head. There is a restaurant menu guide, and a newspaper with detailed biking map (sorry don't remember its name). Sometimes these can be found just inside the door of the store, so check there too.

I usually bring with me some salt and pepper(a small grinder), some coffee, a few coffee filters, some tide, a few sheets of fabric softner, all in ziploc bags. All these are small items. This way I don't have buy whole packages there then wonder what to do with leftovers.

Have fun and tell us about your trips when you come back!

You did not mention if you have visited the island itself in the past, but if you haven't, be aware that there are no tall signs and flashing neon lights to get your attention. There are zoning laws, I think, regarding these practices. So, the first time I went to HHI Disney, I drove right by it without seeing the sign. Also, the grocery stores, malls, etc. are all behind thick foliage. HH is a wonderful experience and you will love it, I am sure. I go back March 16th and can't wait!

Candace, we'll only miss you by a few days-we leave the 13th. Are the prices at this Piggly Wiggly fairly decent? Sounds so convenient, even if you pay a little more, but are the prices outlandish?

I thought the prices at Piggily Wiggily were reasonable. We are going to HHI on 3/22 and will shop there. Also can't wait to try a private affair with Chef Gordon.

HHI is our favorite Disney spot. Piggley Wiggley prices are fine, there is also a WalMart up the road a few miles for other "essentials".

Kids and I did the kayak thing and loved it, not strenuous.

Our favorite thing to do is hang out on the fishing pier - we don't catch many fish but do occasionally get a crab. We watched one guy pull up about a dozen crabs over a couple hour period - caught his dinner.

Thanks so much for all the info everyone. I can't wait and I'm glad to hear everything is low key. As much as I love Disney World, I do like taking a quiet vacation now and then to get in touch with the real world.
Simba's Mom: We leave Dallas on the 12th but don't check in to HHI until the 13th too. We're doing a cheapo motel the night before in Savannah:wave:
Maybe we'll run into each other.
Another couple of questions:
How hard is it to sign up for the different activities at this time of year? Do we need to go ahead and make reservations now or will we be able to do that when we check in?
zuzu

If you do shop at Piggly Wiggly, be sure to ask for the Preferred Shopper card (or something like that) to take advantage of the sale prices. They are free, and they give visitors one without having to fill out any forms. It WILL save money. Just ask at the Customer Service Desk or a cashier (before you check out).

I have family in Hilton Head but am a DVC member. Is there any way to use the beach house without staying at the resort?

Originally posted by jwcrsf
I have family in Hilton Head but am a DVC member. Is there any way to use the beach house without staying at the resort?

I doubt it. We stayed at the HH resort in 1996 when it first opened. The next year, we went to HH with family members, so we rented a villa elsewhere. We had really enjoyed the dolphin tour the year before, so we asked if we could still do it, even though we weren't staying at the resort.

After considerable discussion, they allowed us to take the dolphin tour (probably because it's run by an outside company), but we were not allowed to use any of the other facilities or take part in any of the other activities. :(

In 1997, the resort was far from being sold out; at this point (with the resort being almost completely sold) I truly doubt the policy has changed. But a call to the front desk would be the best way to see.

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
Candace, we'll only miss you by a few days-we leave the 13th. Are the prices at this Piggly Wiggly fairly decent? Sounds so convenient, even if you pay a little more, but are the prices outlandish?

I think you'll find all the prices on the island to be a little higher than off the island. But, the convenience it worth it.

Personally, we prefer Publix (there are two on the island and a brand new one in Bluffton, between I-95 and HHI). They just seem newer, cleaner, brighter. But then, I'm used to shopping at Publix at home, so it's just easier.

Zuzu, we're flying out of Corpus Christi on the 8th and checking into HHI on the 9th. Since we went through investigating "cheap" hotels for one night, thought I'd share what we found out. Surprisingly, there are several on HHI that are less expensive and seem nicer than in Savannah. We're staying at a Holiday Inn Express on HH for 59.95, including continental breakfast. It had real nice reviews. There's a Hampton on the Island for the same price. Several people have recommended a Fairfield, but I don't know the price. Like I said, I was very surprised that the prices on HH for one night were so competitive with Savannah. And we figure we can drive around that eve and get the "lay of the land".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter