Hey...Teacher...leave those projects at school!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanceswithDisney

Mouseketeer
After driving to three different stores, and changing days for the presentation, I am surprised the school is even allowing my snowflake to bring in a homemade meal (Appetizer, Entree and Dessert) for Spanish class. At least it is first period, but still what a pain in the neck!

There should be a prohibition on teachers assigning projects that uses both a parent's time and funds to produce something for the class. I am finished school a few years ago. I was told I could be sous chef, I said...this is all yours honey!

After driving to three different stores, and changing days for the presentation, I am surprised the school is even allowing my snowflake to bring in a homemade meal (Appetizer, Entree and Dessert) for Spanish class. At least it is first period, but still what a pain in the neck!

There should be a prohibition on teachers assigning projects that uses both a parent's time and funds to produce something for the class. I am finished school a few years ago. I was told I could be sous chef, I said...this is all yours honey!
That was always my objection to the science fair. I had to drive around town purchasing all the required bits and pieces. After that it was up to them. It was a pain, though.

I can't help asking, did the Spanish teacher talk to the kids about kitchen/food safety rules? :scratchin

I can't help asking, did the Spanish teacher talk to the kids about kitchen/food safety rules? :scratchin
Nope. Kids could get help in the kitchen, but it had to be produced as much from scratch as possible. You could use pre-made tortillas and chips, but not guac. It is food from a spanish speaking country served and/or invented in that country. So no Queso/Margaritas for instance!

Nope. Kids could get help in the kitchen, but it had to be produced as much from scratch as possible. You could use pre-made tortillas and chips, but not guac. It is food from a spanish speaking country served and/or invented in that country. So no Queso/Margaritas for instance!

No Margaritas???

That's just crazy talk!!

;)

A whole meal sounds like a lot. Did they have to bring enough to feed the whole class?

I will say that bringing food to a Spanish class is a time honored tradition. I did it a million years ago. That said, ours was a buffet, and each student just brought one thing. I remember bringing Rotel dip once, which is distinctly NOT Spanish, despite being delicious.

I always hated those cooking for the class projects. On top of what you already mentioned, there was the transportation on the morning of the project because you can't stuff food for 30 in a backpack filled with books.
Last year my ds's French teacher did a field trip to a French restaurant instead of having the kids bring in food. The problem was it was like a $40 meal. Not sure how many kids went, but ds didn't.

I like what my son's teacher did for French class- took at the kids on a walking trip to town to the small gelato and crepe restaurant. No buying, no preparing, no running around- just give him a $10 bill, easy.

If you were in a group, you could bring in one of the three. With soccer schedule, a group was not possible so the singles including my child have to bring it all in. And yes you have to feed the entire class. No rolling backpacks, so no coolers allowed. It is a Charlie Foxtrot by an order of magnitude!

French food day was the only reason I passed French. We got one point on our final grade for each "A" dish we brought in- I think I made 10 things and used my parents good French wine to cook everything.

I'm also really surprised they allow outside cooked foods. Even shared snacks need to be all pre-packed items like individual packets of granola bars or snack packages of cookies (of course, only healthy and on the school-approved list :rollseyes:)

I'm also really surprised they allow outside cooked foods. Even shared snacks need to be all pre-packed items like individual packets of granola bars or snack packages of cookies (of course, only healthy and on the school-approved list :rollseyes:)
Years ago they never thought about saying no to bringing in foods. Nowadays it is a big no no. To many allergies. I am surprised they are allowing it. Plus that is a lot of food and costly.

You should have brought a Caesar Salad. It really was invented in Mexico.

We did guacamole prepared from scratch. Also chicken enchilada filling is made. Enchiladas will be filled, rolled and will be baked tomorrow morning. Dough for Sofa Pillows is rising and will be fried and sugared in the morning.

So it's ok for the teaher to use their time outside of the classroom and their own funds for these projects? Your daughter couldn't be in a group because of outside activities so you had to do all three and complain about cost and time! It ok for teacher who probably has family and outside interests to go buy things?

If it was such a hardship why not contact teacher and explain. I'm sure they'd work something out. Although it does sound like you are making fantastic things to bring the comments on parents funds and time being used are rather selfish IMHO

First of all, I never said or suggested the teacher should pay and shop for the materials. We did contact the teacher and there were no exceptions. Those who were not part of a group had to present all three things. I do feel that if this is a county approved curriculum, then the COUNTY should pay for the materials. Frankly I see no value in providing food in a Spanish class fives weeks into the school year.

I feel parents are unfairly put upon with any of these at home projects. How does someone who does not have the time or the extra funds supposed to handle this? Let their kid get a zero? Talk about selfish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter