Here's something amusing....United

lurkernj

DIS Veteran
I was just stalking my September flights again. I purchased my flight down to MCO yesterday out of PHL on Southwest with points, but I still need to get home. I don't usually go on travelocity, but decided to have it compare for me out of curiousity. I want to come home as late as possible on Sept 30. It shows a USAIR flight at 7:35p for $170. I was a big Continental fan before the merger, so I scrolled down to see what United was charging. They want $340 for a 7:35p flt, but the kicker is that it says it's operated by USAIR!!! That is SOME NERVE!!!

For the record, Airtran has an 8:10p flight for $156, so we'll probably go with them but I'm not ready to book at that price.

I was just stalking my September flights again. I purchased my flight down to MCO yesterday out of PHL on Southwest with points, but I still need to get home. I don't usually go on travelocity, but decided to have it compare for me out of curiousity. I want to come home as late as possible on Sept 30. It shows a USAIR flight at 7:35p for $170. I was a big Continental fan before the merger, so I scrolled down to see what United was charging. They want $340 for a 7:35p flt, but the kicker is that it says it's operated by USAIR!!! That is SOME NERVE!!!

For the record, Airtran has an 8:10p flight for $156, so we'll probably go with them but I'm not ready to book at that price.

One thing with travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc. Their prices are not always up to date in my experience. You think you are getting a lower fare than the airline website but when you go to book it says not available. I would try comparing the USAir and United on each of their websites.

I see that alot when I am looking at flights on fly.com. If you book through USAir, you get it way cheaper than thru United, and you will be on the same flight....... that's the big reason why it is good to shop around.

One thing with travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc. Their prices are not always up to date in my experience. You think you are getting a lower fare than the airline website but when you go to book it says not available. I would try comparing the USAir and United on each of their websites.

Out of curiousity I just did this. The USAir flight was still $170 and the United flight was $247 (one ticket available at this price). Still pretty nervy in my opinion.

Nothing new about this. You should always book through the airline website.

Obviously new to me. I have been a loyal continental flyer for years and have always booked directly with them and been a happy customer. Their flights from EWR were usually pretty decent. Now with the merger, United's prices are more than double some of the other airlines, so we're shopping different airlines and airports and not liking it one bit.

Not restricted to this pair of airlines :) I've seen the same flight price discrepancy before.

We always fly out of EWR and also usually book with CO.
In fact, we booked CO to FLL for Memorial Day weekend cruise for $239 per person R/T, which I thought was a good price. But, of course now, it is United.

My mother and I are flying to MCO on Aug. 25 and my ds and dh are flying in on Aug 29. Flights were incredibly high but I was able to get my dh/ds on a CO flight from EWR to MCO for $115 for a 6 pm flight (6:20 or something like that), which they needed. My mother and I booked seperately but we all needed the same flight home. We could not find anything. We ended up booking JetBlue from MCO to EWR, one way, for $215 per person,,ONE WAY :scared1: We had a credit for one flight so it is really $215 for 3 people that we paid.

Anyway, regarding your flight you are looking at from US Air is it non stop?
We are not really too flexible when we travel in/out since we want specific times of day (usually very early) and only want non stop. We decided to book the $215 from MCO to EWR...did I mention one way:scared1:, since I don't see the airline prices going down any time in the near or far for that matter future.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter