Herbie Rolls onto DVD

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
From DVDFile.com:
For you classics fans, I bet you can't wait until May 20th, when Disney finally gives Herbie the deluxe treatment in The Love Bug, huh? This two-disc set features a remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround remix under the auspices of THX, plus a ton of extras: audio commentary by stars Dean Jones, Michele Lee and Buddy Hackett, six featurettes "That Lovable Bug," "The Man Who Gave Herbie His Voice," "The Many Lives Of Herbie," "Herbie Mania," "Lost Treasures: Searching For Herbie" and "Love Bug Day At Disneyland," additional "Herbie On The Rocks" and "Thorndyke And The Bear" Sound Studio featurettes, deleted scenes, the "Susie The Little Blue Coupe" cartoon short, the 1969 Disney Studio Album; two still galleries, a screenplay excerpt, trailers and radio spots. Retail is $29.95 for this gem.

....and then the Leprechan said "Aye, and its driving me nuts!"

Sara, what is the deal with Disney DVD??

We knew that the 20K lots dvd was going to be packed, but also a nice release of Herbie in May? So why did they loose the "vault disney" label?

Especially if the rumors are true that there is a well-done version of So Dear To My Heart coming out as well in the somewhat near future, then why did they get rid of the "Vault Disney" labeling? I wish that they would quit making it up as they go along.....I mean really "1969 Disney Studio Album" doesn't that sound EXACTLY like the "Vault Disney" series from last year?? Goodness, they could have released it as part of the series with just 20K and Herbie??

FWIW, I heard that the disney stores would no longer be selling "adult" movies, and so aren't expecting to sell 20K lots, I wonder if this applies to Herbie as well? I couldn't believe that 20K lots was considered "adult" and wouldn't be at disney store. Any way, this is great news, Sara.

DR

Disney has always changed its labels (seemingly at random), and I wish I could tell you why they lost the "Vault Disney" Label. Maybe it has to do with cancelling the time slot on the Disney Channel?

At least we're getting releases with DVD appropriate stuff on them... Though I'm still miffed about the Lilo & Stitch Release.

Sarangel

Dropping the "Vault Disney" title was for a variety of reasons, including the cancellation of Disney Channel's Vault Disney block (they don't want to cause confusion), and, since the first wave of Vault Disney DVDs has sold poorly, the thinking is the new batch might sell better labelled as "Special Edition".

Of course I think the first ones didn't sell well 'cos of next to no marketing, high price (this has been addressed though -- the first wave titles have dropped from $29.95 SRP to $19.95 SRP) and the fact that everyone who wanted those movies already had the VHS editions.

Oh, and the latest word is that a 2-disc Lilo and Stitch SE DVD is back on the burner and will be released later this year or early next.

I really hope you are right. But I guess then I will be complaining because I already bought the one-disc L&S :)

So has anybody found Herbie yet?

If you look at the second disc (bonus material disc) of the 20Kluts dvd set, you'll see that the opening menu starts out saying "Vault Disney collection" - and then the view goes down a sort of row of movie posters, and the one on the front left is The Love Bug, and the one on the front right is "The Apple Dumpling Gang" - a little view into what was being planned I guess. Also the 20K disc, and the love bug disc is supposed to from what I've read, has the "Studio Albums" on them like the Vault Disney discs did.

Man, The 20K Leagues set is freaking awesome, by the way.

DR

Do you guys think kids will be the slightest bit interested in this stuff? If I remember right it wasn't all that great when I was a kid.

Maybe it was just a bunch guy movies? I can't really remember. But that's the point, they were just so...forgettable...

Robin

dr, we've had the 20,000 leagues since last week and still haven't watched it. I've just told everybody that tomorrow night is movie night...thanks for the heads up! :)

"Do you guys think kids will be the slightest bit interested in this stuff? "

Well, it is pretty clear to me that they weren't targeting kids with the bonus disc from 20K leagues. The appeal is for disney fans, film buffs, people interested in film or pop culture history, people interested in walt disney or the disney studios, science fiction fans, and of course fans of the film and those who have nostalgia about it. I remember watching the film on TV when I was a kid with my dad, and I guess in hind sight he was probably watching it then in much the same way that I was wathing it now - he was 11 when it came out, so it was probably interesting for him to look back on it from an adult's perspective, just like it is for me now. I'm talking about the film itself. Some of the extra stuff that I liked a lot:

1. I've seen the short Grand Canyonscope several times - I'm a big Humphry fan, so by association I'm a Ranger Woodlore fan, too, I guess. Anyway, I had never seen it before in widescreen! And that was great! The Ranger's "Spread out folks" was a funny gimmik joke when you actually see it in cinemascope! Telling Donald to "please not bother the Americans" was weird. Anyway, this was cool.

2. There is about a 90 minute "Making of documentary" that I enjoyed a great deal. A nice look at both where the studios were in 1954, as well as the film itself - how they did it, the locations, special effects, etc. This was great. Not sure how that would appeal to kids though.

3. There are tons of galleries on the disc with pre-production drawings, production photos, prop photos, etc. I enjoyed these a lot. There are pre-production drawings of vulcania that look exactly like Tokyo Disney Seas. I really enjoyed the drawings of the Nautilus.

4. There is a Nautilus "tour" that ties together scenes from the film, drawings and blueprints, and still photos. It was neat, and I'm sure a kick for everyone who wanted to go on a trip in there when they were a kid.

5. There are some other real gems, like animation that was made and tested for the film but never used, the original giant squid scene that they scrapped and re-did, and everything like trailors, radio ads, an interview with these two guys that collect memorobilia, a short documentary about Walt and Jules Vern, scenes from the old disneyland show promoting it - some really great stuff.

There are all sorts of other bonus material in there. Again, I don't think this was aimed at kids, and would be probably pretty boring for young kids, but older kids who are film buffs or sci-fi fans might find it interesting, or kids who really liked the movie might enjoy it - but most of the extras are aimed at grown-ups, IMHO. It is so obvious that the 20K discs were very lovingly put together, they are a treasure for any disney fan for sure, but I think science fiction and film fans in general would find them very interesting.

DR

PS I thought they dropped "vault disney" from TV so that the name wouldn't be confused with the DVDs that they were planning on trying to sell.

I guess my point was, at least in my case, it was an entirely forgettable set of movies. If it wasn't that great then, and it has no pull for kids now, what's the draw.

Now I may be alone in my view of the movie, and that's fine. I was just wondering how you all felt.

:)

20,000 leagues or the love bug?

LOL! Sorry, the Love Bug.

I loved 20,000 Leagues! I made my parents buy the book after I saw the movie!

I kind of remember the love bug films from when I was a kid. I watched The Love Bug a few months ago on Encore, and it was funny and I enjoyed it. I like Hervbie. But I admit I'm a Disney fan. I'd like to have the 2-disc set becaue I really like all the extra features that those have been getting (we have the four from last year).

Now, there are several (Four in all?) Herbie sequals; I think I remember going to see one of the sequals in a theatre when I was a kid. I doubt I would buy all the sequals.

Beyond those 2-disc sets, the live action dvds haven't been so good. We have four or five of the one disc ones, and they are pretty plain and blank, but it is OK if you want to have a favorite old movie. But I want to get the 2-disc sets because they are put together so much better than the other live action releases. It is the extra features as much as the film. But I do want to have the love bug - to me it is a fun movie. In addition to interest in this film in particular though is the interest in the "vault disney" type of dvd sets in general.
DR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter