Help with something from Carthay Circle

Pills

DIS Veteran
My family had dinner at Carthay Circle on our last night in DCA last week. My wife had an Old Fashioned, and absolutely loved it. She has tried to get the recipe, but she only knows that Woodford Reserve was used (though not which type of it). She has tried to contact them directly, but no one has gotten back to her.

Would it be possible for anyone to get this for us? I'm not sure if a picture of the menu would have it, but anything that could be done would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wish I could help you, but I don't have the secret! Hopefully someone will read your post and find the info for you. I'll be going to DL in a month and I can try and find out if you haven't heard anything yet. I ran across this https://ask.metafilter.com/325810/Carthay-Circles-Old-Fashioned which you probably found by googling as well. Has some interesting info but no specific recipe.

ETA: It just occurred to me that you may have posted that question I linked, lol.

Actually, my wife did. If you could try when you get there, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old Fashioneds don't have but 3 ingredients. So... Woodford Reserve, bitters, and sugar.

Old Fashioneds don't have but 3 ingredients. So... Woodford Reserve, bitters, and sugar.

Not so fast.

There is often orange peel too. Sometimes both traditional and orange flavoured bitters are used.

Sometimes there are cherries added. Cathay Circle adds brandy soaked amarena cherries to their old fashioned, for example. Sometimes the cherries are muddled in, sometimes not.

It's not so straightforward.

Not so fast.

There is often orange peel too. Sometimes both traditional and orange flavoured bitters are used.

Sometimes there are cherries added. Cathay Circle adds brandy soaked amarena cherries to their old fashioned, for example. Sometimes the cherries are muddled in, sometimes not.

It's not so straightforward.

Ah.. I've never had the OF from Carthay. I get their Manhattans... The wife likes Sazeracs... mmmm... Whisky

Woodford is pretty much my favorite whisky.

The cherries are Luxardo maraschinos (Italian amarena cherries) but I don't think they are soaked in brandy. I could be wrong though (I had the Manhattan). The ice sphere was a nice touch too :)

I can get a couple recipes for you this weekend.
I would love them as well.

The cherries are Luxardo maraschinos (Italian amarena cherries) but I don't think they are soaked in brandy. I could be wrong though (I had the Manhattan). The ice sphere was a nice touch too :)
They are luxardo for the manhattan. I use them at home...they even go great in a maitai. Just sayin'

I am pretty sure they are brandy soaked. I recall that detail from when my husband ordered the Old Fashioned at Carthay.

Also, Trader Joe's now has Italian Amarena cherries for sale in a jar for like $4. They taste the same as the Luxardo ones.

Also, Trader Joe's now has Italian Amarena cherries for sale in a jar for like $4. They taste the same as the Luxardo ones.[/QUOTE]

You've made my weekend with that news!!! $4 a jar?!?! Awesome :)

The Luxardo cherries also taste great on ice cream sundaes... just saying! And, I think, someone told me that they are used in the cocktails at Lamplight Lounge, too. (Just another excuse to visit LL to check...) And, Trader Joe's, here I come!

This has all made me very curious to try a Carthay Old Fashioned. Or any Old Fashioned he he. Cool news on Trader Joe's carrying the cherries :)

The Luxardo cherries also taste great on ice cream sundaes... just saying! And, I think, someone told me that they are used in the cocktails at Lamplight Lounge, too. (Just another excuse to visit LL to check...) And, Trader Joe's, here I come!

Cove bar used to serve them so Lamp Light should too. The smoked turkey was one of my favorites...

IMG_2585%20(Large).jpg

We bought an ice sphere mold at BevMo. My husband became obsessed with old fashioneds after he had the one at Carthay Circle and he wanted ice spheres. They are cool...

We bought an ice sphere mold at BevMo. My husband became obsessed with old fashioneds after he had the one at Carthay Circle and he wanted ice spheres. They are cool...
How do you get the ice perfectly clear like they do in the parks?

How do you get the ice perfectly clear like they do in the parks?

Boil it first. Pour the water into the molds while it is still hot. That's the secret. Also, use distilled water or very high quality filtered water with no minerals.

So do you have the cool gizmo that melts ice down into spheres like this one? https://www.japantrendshop.com/ice-ball-mold-for-perfect-ice-spheres-p-244.html

No, but that's pretty neat! Maybe a Christmas gift for my husband!

The mold we have makes pretty large spheres...about 2" diameter. It's just plastic with a silicone top. You fill the plastic part and put the top on and the ice expands into the top dome as it freezes.

We also have a silicone cube mold that makes six 2" perfect cubes. We use both regularly in our cocktails.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter