Help with idea's for "prizes" for my family!

jmet

Mouseketeer
I am planning on surprising my family with an event from Gifts of a Lifetime when we are at WDW right after Thanksgiving this year. Jane has a fun event planned (she's calling it the "Amazing Family Race"!) that will end with each family member earning a "prize" for completing their portion of the race. I LOVE the idea, my problem is I am having trouble thinking up what some of the prizes should be. The players will be me, my DH, our DS12, DS6, my older brother (mentally handicapped), and my parents. I know that I plan to make my brother's prize a Pal Mickey, and I think I'm going to try to get a nice photo album with the year on it for my mom, but I'm having trouble with DS12 - I know I could go with a game boy game or Disney Dollars, but those are both things he'll be getting before the trip too. Jane mentioned an interactive, hand held Disney triva game - anybody know anything about these? I'm also stumped with my dad - he's an easy going kind of guy but his interests are kind of limited - his biggest hobby is fishing and I can't afford (or have the time) to do a fishing excursion or anything like that! He also doesn't really wear t-shirts or sweatshirts (just button downs!) He does like hats and coffee cups though, so if I can't come up with anything more original, I might have to go with something like that. I think I'll probably try to find some Toy Story theamed toy for DS6, although he's BIG time into Batman (or other super heo's with a cape)...For some reason though, I just would love to make all the prizes Disney theamed - seems more appropriate to me. I even considered trying to do an illuminations or wishes cruise as a "collective" prize, but my mom is not a big fan of boats - they make her nervous and that doesn't seem like a very good "prize" for her! I know there's always Disney Dollars - but there will be lots of those flying around here for b-days etc. before the trip, so I was hoping to think of something different. If anyone has any idea's for me I'd LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to read this - sorry it got so long!
Jamie

What about watches? Beach towels? School or desk supplies all WDW themed? For your mom, might there be a small spa treatment? Christmas ornaments?

That's all I can think of.

Thanks for the input! The beach towel is a good idea - DH just mentioned that he needs a new one - (if he lets it go that long) that could work...DS12 just got a new one for his b-day, (along with a new watch - drat!) but these are great "food for thought" idea's - I really appreciate them! Would love to hear any more if anyone else has any thoughts!
Thanks again, Jamie

Check Disneystore.com for ideas. They have men's shirts (not just t-shirts, but polo shirts & button downs). Maybe you can gt one ofor dh/ They have women's too. You did not mention where you were staying but maybe you can get one of the refillable mugs for your dad too. Maybe a snow globe for your mom. You can even get group shirts made up for all of your family members!!
Good luck, your trip sounds like lots of fun!

Last year, my fil got a hat at AK that had Disney AK pins on it. Your father might like that. Or pick out a hat and add some pins to it.

My mil and sil kept harping at him the whole time to wear his hat because otherwise he might have a stroke or heart attack from the sun. :rolleyes: Of course, neither one of them wore one and honestly, he's in better shape than they are.

Anyway, my mil has made him wear the hat everywhere since they came home (we all went last Oct-Nov). So, on the fourth of July, he gave the hat to my kids and told them they could keep the pins if they took the hat too.:teeth:

It is a very nice hat; he just got tired of being nagged.

Here's a link to what the trivia game looks like. It costs less at the park. There are also Disney Trivia books or a Hidden Mickey book he might enjoy. The Hidden Mickey book is neat and our kids enjoyed using that (we got ours at a local bookstore but I know Amazon and the other online stores carry it).

Disney Trivia Game

Please write a trip report when you get back. I would love to know how the race went. We are going next year and I have a feeling we may be joined by quite a few family members. :D

What about a disney print? My mom bought me and all 4 of my kids one at a store on Main Street and I am sure she didn't spend a lot of money on them. They were framed and she wrote a note on each one. Also, what is this race that you are refering to? Sounds like fun to me!

Wow - great suggestions! The Disney catalog is a great place to check for idea's - why didn't I think of that?! I really appreciate the link to check out the Disney Triva game too - that was exactly what I needed! Do you have any idea what age range that is targeted for?? I also really liked the idea's for hidden Mickey books and pin/lanyards for the kids - I think DS12 would really enjoy pin trading if he got into it! (I'm actually thinking it might be fun to give them the hidden Mickey book on the way down - is it very expensive?)

Loved the story about the AK hat by the way - TOO funny! That DOES sound like an idea for him! Another thought I just had - he also always dresses in a suit and tie for church - I wonder if I might be able to find a "subtle" Disney tie?
Anyway, it's great to have some things to at least think about! Please feel free to keep the idea's coming - I appreciate all of them!

I am SO excited about the trip and especially about our "Amazing Family Race" event! It's hard trying to keep it a secret from everyone, but I think it will be so worth it to see their reactions! I'll try to do a trip report when we get back, becasue I always love to read about how others trips turned out too.

Thanks again!
Jamie

I think the trivia game is one of those fun for all ages type of thing. The list price for the book is 11.95 and Amazon is selling it for 9.56.

A tie is a good idea. DH used wear his Goofy ties all of the time. His office is now casual so he only gets to wear them once in a while.

Instead of the boat ride for the big prize, maybe do the keys to the kingdom tour? I think that's the one where the younger kids can go too.

How about a Guest of Honor pin for everyone. Besides the more traditional ones. they have new ones that are larger with different characters. Jane can have them made up for you. It's a blast to be called by name (especially for the kids) by the CM's. This also makes it nice and low cost as the prizes can add up and I know you already spent for the hunt.

Also, keep in mind, Jane asks that you limit weight to a total of 3 lbs. I have to admit, it was hard, but I was greatful when the day came and we than had to carry the "prizes"

Enjoy

Hi again ~
Just wanted to say the ideas are perculating now - thanks to all of you! I haven't finalized exactly what I'm going to do yet, but it's coming together - slowly!

Dutton - to answer your question the race is an event that I hired a company called "Gifts of a Lifetime" to do for us. I haven't used them before but I've only heard wonderful things about them on these boards and I really thought it would be fun to surprise my family with something - even though we don't really have any "special events" to celebrate at that particular time! The "Amazing Family Race" was the idea Jane (who owns the company) proposed and it involves each family member having to complete some task or another, (all set up in advance by Jane & her pixies of course) - it ends with each persons efforts being rewarded with a "prize". I don't even know alot of the detail myself yet, and probably won't, so that I can enjoy playing along!

InstImpres - So apparently you have done this event or one similar??? I would love to know if you don't mind sharing that is, some general stuff like about how long the event took? and How did you get started?? I am thinking about doing Animal Kingdom that day (HOPEFULLY catch the AK parade) & then head for a semi- early dinner at Beaches & Cream - Jane Mentioned being able to maybe "start" us from there - I'm just a little nervous since they don't take PS's though...I figure we could always skip the parade if we have to though and get a jump on the crowds at B&C (I really want to eat there!). Anyway, if you care to share any of your experiences I would be very interested! I did not know, by the way, about the 3 lb weight limit - very good to know - so thanks!

I am seriously thinking I might do the Guest of Honor badges and think I might also do Mickey Santa hats for everyone (to wear to MVMCP, which we'll be going to two nights later). I just keep thinking though that I want there to be something fun and "personal" for each person as well - but you are right, it's not cheap - so we'll see!

Well - thanks again for helping me brain storm - very helpful indeed.
Jamie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter