Help! Whispering Canyon Cafe or Cape May Cafe

Octoberbaby

DIS Veteran
I am trying to decide on WCC or CMC for dinner. I have a reservation for Whispering Canyon Cafe but thinking of changing. I have 2 young children but one is in a wheelchair so I am worried she will feel left out during the dinner at WCC.(During the "horse race") Which food choice is the best? We love meat and seafood.

Hi!

The choice really depends on your mood. We like both, but they are completely different in many different ways. Our opinion only, we prefer Cape May Cafe, but both are great, and sometimes we're in the mood for Whispering Canyon Cafe. some thoughts:

Whispering Canyon:
gives us a chance to hop to Wilderness Lodge, which is just awesome!
the meal has more of a "show" feel to it, if you like the interactivity. E.g., the servers are "in character," there's hootin and hollerin, and of course the horse race as you mentioned. I assume if you let the cast members know about your concern about your child, they'll be sensitive enough to find a way to include her.
the food is southwestern all american barbecue style, the famous skillet is great and feeds us just fine. could be heavy if you're not in the mood, though.

Cape May Cafe:
gives us a chance to hop to the Epcot resorts area (where we like to stay anyway). Theming is Atlantic coast, marina ... we love it. and after dinner, you can stroll the boardwalk ... or go to Epcot for Illuminations
no "show" or interactivity so much at dinner (there are character breakfasts there I think).
food is seafood! preference only, but we like seafood a little better than meat (but we love both) ... and CMC has meat too.
CMC also has a nice little kids buffet area (chicken fingers, etc).
and the dessert table is nice.

Again, depends on your mood.
hope this helps.

We are not WCC fans. I think we've been 3 times now. Our first trip we had a great "show", but the last two we've just had bad service & not much fun.

BUT- your kids might really like it. Your DD would be fine doing the horse race in her chair. They just pass out wooden horses and follow in a line around the restaurant. I don't think there are any stairs???

Cape May is a buffet, so she might enjoy that less.

But the food is MUCH better at Cape May.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

The only thing that might make her feel left out at WCC is the ketchup call. All the kids run to grab bottles of ketchup to take to the table calling for it.

That was one of the bad things for us! Three dinners and we've never gotten any ketchup - no matter how much we ask/yell. DS finally just took a bottle from a table with about 20 because his food was getting cold.

Ate at WWC once, but really didn't care for it (nor the antics).

Love Cape May Clambake! It's a must do once, or even twice, every trip - already have ressies for our April trip.

WCC is really loud. We had fun and enjoyed the food. Not the best (we're from Texas) but still enjoyable. The girls had fun, but sometimes too loud as they are both sensitive to loud noises. We feel no need to go back, but glad we went.

We really enjoyed both restuarants. WCC was soooooo much fun, our waitress was great. We enjoyed our food except for the sampler.

The dinner at Cape Way was wonderful, we really wished we could have went twice but we weren't there for long & had other places we wanted to try. Seafood was very good.

We love both, but if I had to choose just one, it would be Cape May. WCC is fun and we think the food is very good, but Cape May is one of our favorites and is a must do for us every trip.

We used to go to WCC often back when it was, for lack of a better term, 'meaner'. It seems like they've toned down the waitstaff a bit in the last 10 years or so and they're not allowed to be as rude to the guests, which for us, was part of the fun. We still like it, but it's not must do for us. We'd prefer Cape May.

I still remember our first trip though to WCC when we had Erma Diller as our waitress. She had an armadillo beanie baby on her shoulder and was just amazing the whole time we were there. When I asked for ketchup she scoffed and brought out one of the huge joke size trays with one bottle of ketchup on it and made everyone else in the restaurant yell at me.

In other words... Cape May is consistently better, but there's a chance of hitting a real home run at WCC if you get the right waitress. On the flip side, it can be disappointing if you have someone average. So it's up to you!

Just went to Cape May and were a little disappointed. It didn't seem to have as much stuff as I remember from the last time we went. DH and I actually commented that we wished we'd gone to WCC instead. I will say the food at WCC is average comfort food...but that hits the spot once in a while...and the bottomless milkshakes are yummy!

Thanks! I think I am going to choose Cape May. I would rather have seafood than BBQ, depending on how it is cooked.

Octoberbaby said:
Thanks! I think I am going to choose Cape May. I would rather have seafood than BBQ, depending on how it is cooked.

I think that's a great choice! We loved it & wish we had gone earlier in our trip because we would have cancelled something so we could have eaten there twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter