HELP! We don't have the dining plan!

KyWildcatGirl01

Mouseketeer
Hello! This is the first time we have not done the dining plan. We are staying at Shades of Green and since DS is 2 we figured we would have to pay out of pocket for him anyways. We are looking for good/reasonable suggestions for meals. We plan to eat Breakfast either at SOG or in our room.
So far we have:
Sci-Fi for Lunch
The Plaza for dinner
Storybook Princess For Dinner

Are these good choices for the money or should I change?

I've never done WDW without the dining plan so I can't help you too much. But I thought SOG had their own type of dining plan? They have a couple of restaurants on site so you might be able to eat a couple meals there. How about crystal palace? Maybe you could do a lunch? I think your DS would love the character interaction! It would be cheaper than dinner! Even if you don't have a dining plan, make sure you still have some ressies planned! Have a great trip!

We are the opposite, we have never done the dining plan and I wouldn't ever do it unless it was free. It seems expensive compared to what we spend our of pocket and I don't know why people want to count points and worry about all that :confused3 We also aren't the type that order the most expensive thing on the menu though.

Some tips if you are on a budget-
-Do the last lunch seating for a late lunch early dinner but with the cheaper prices.
-Bring your own snacks.
-We only do one sit down meal per day and usually bring our own snacks we often eat breakfast in our room because we don't like to waste park time (or wake up extra early). We do treat ourselves to Boma breakfast at least once or twice and a buffet can stuff us so full we usually don't eat all that much the rest of the day.
-Stick with water
- Share desserts (or even a meal)

Some of our favorite places are Boma breakfast, Les Chefs de France lunch, Brown Derby lunch (cobb salad yum!) and Sunshine Seasons.

Have fun planning. I think you will enjoy just deciding to eat wherever you want.

Plaza is a great choice - very reasonably priced. Never done Sci-Fi. Via Napoli and Rose and Crown are decent value for out of pocket, as is Wolfgang Puck in DTD.

I think your choices are good for paying OOP. Other choices that might work would be Kona and Beaches & Cream.

We just got back from our stay at SOG and found ourselves at Captain Cook's (Polynesian quick service) quite a bit. We would use the walkway from SOG to Poly almost daily, and found their prices to be reasonable (for Disney:)) This was our first trip without the dining plan too.

Out of the restaurants you've listed, we've only eaten at Sci Fi which we have found to be reasonable and fun.

Hello! This is the first time we have not done the dining plan. We are staying at Shades of Green and since DS is 2 we figured we would have to pay out of pocket for him anyways. We are looking for good/reasonable suggestions for meals. We plan to eat Breakfast either at SOG or in our room.
So far we have:
Sci-Fi for Lunch
The Plaza for dinner

Have you thought about Mickeys Backyard BBQ. Wilderness Camp Grounds. Great Food and Lot's and Lot's of entertainment.

This will be our first trip not on the dining plan too! But my daughter turned 10 so we would be paying full price of the dining plan for her and she doesn't eat anything, by that I mean she'll order pasta with butter and water. I also had been on free dining before so it didn't matter as much but now that we are going and no free dining, well I didn't want to pay for it and not use it.
That being said, I feel your pain!

I think SciFi it great and not to pricey out of pocket. I would also recommend Yak and Yeti at AK bc I don't remember it being to pricey for a sit down and we really liked it there.
Another suggestion don't pay oop for Chef Mickeys - in my opinion only- I don't think the food it worth the price.
You can find the characters elsewhere for the price.

Have a great trip regardless of where you eat!:cool1:

We just got back from our stay at SOG and found ourselves at Captain Cook's (Polynesian quick service) quite a bit. We would use the walkway from SOG to Poly almost daily, and found their prices to be reasonable (for Disney:)) This was our first trip without the dining plan too.

Out of the restaurants you've listed, we've only eaten at Sci Fi which we have found to be reasonable and fun.

Awesome! Do you have any pics to share?! I am so excited to go and wondered about making an ADR for a place at the Poly is it a really easy to walk to?!

Awesome! Do you have any pics to share?! I am so excited to go and wondered about making an ADR for a place at the Poly is it a really easy to walk to?!

I don't have any pictures, but it was a super easy walk, probably about 10 minutes. We ate at Captain Cooks a few times, Kona for breakfast and dinner, and we did the Ohana character breakfast as well as the non-character dinner. It was just so convenient so we took advantage! We were happy with all of our dining experiences at the Poly.

KyWildcatGirl01 said:
So far we have:
Sci-Fi for Lunch
The Plaza for dinner

Don't worry. You're better off without the plan

Some of our favorite restaurants when we are off the plan, Lunch at Kona in the Poly, Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), lunch at Beirgarten (Epcot Germany), Wolfgang Puck Express (DTD Marketplace) and this last trip tried and really enjoyed Raglan Road. (DTD)
Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter