Help trying to plan/budget a DL vacation as a newbie

For food, we plan $20 per person per meal at quick/counter service places and $10 per person for snacks for the day. Any extra not spent either goes to more snacks, my table-service meal, or towards our separate budget for our special meal (often something like the Fantasmic dining). We generally bring in our own bottled water, as even the filtered water in Anaheim tastes funny to me.

We typically do counter service, and sometimes quick service. I have heard that WDW is more table service dining, but Disneyland isn't generally. Our favorites: corn dogs from Stage Door Cafe (where they come with fries instead of chips), any burger at Smoke Jumpers (criss-cut fries, and you dress your own burger), and Cafe Orleans (table service, however, I just get pomme frites and begniets, which makes it just around $25 with soda).

Hello All,

I have been going to WDW since I was 8 months old. I am use to the way the parks work and planning for that type of trip.
I am hoping to do DL for my 30th in December 2020, planning this is a whole new ball game. I saw that most people recommend 5 days in the parks.
We are looking at a Good Neighbor hotel since I don't have the type of income to be able to afford Grand Californian or even Paradise Pier.

However, food budgeting. I know that DL doesn't have a dining program/plan. How much does everyone budget per person/per day for food.

TIA!

I would suggest staying across the street on Harbor Blvd if not onsite. As for food budgeting, check out the menus on the Disneyland Park site. It has $$$ amounts too. Most servings are big enough to share. I suggest Disney gift cards from Target if you have a red card. You save 5%. If you like Starbucks, load up on those cards too. When we go, we tend to visit the Starbucks in DCA (Fiddler, Fifel & Practical) on a daily basis. Don't forget all the eateries in DTD.

.... If you like Starbucks, load up on those cards too. When we go, we tend to visit the Starbucks in DCA (Fiddler, Fifel & Practical) on a daily basis. Don't forget all the eateries in DTD.
And if the OP likes Starbucks: the two locations in the parks (Market House in DL and FF&P in DCA) are not corporate owned stores. So you can earn stars there, but not redeem rewards. If you have rewards points to redeem to save money, go to the two Starbucks stores In DTD -- those are corporate owned stores where you can earn stars, participate in bonus offers, and redeem points. You can use Starbucks cards at all 4 locations.

Drinking the “free cups of water” you get at the QS counters helps a lot with budget as well!
Especially if it’s hot you can save quite a lot if you only drink free water.
It works even better if you bring a bottle you can fill up during the day with that water so you don’t have to drink it all at once... (I always shake my head if I see people buying bottled water in the parks...)

if you are like me and don’t like to drink “only water” you could buy some “drink enhancers” so it tastes like lemonade for example. I have little squeeze bottles that don’t need mich space...

My family of 4 budgets $50 per quick service meal plus $50 per day for snacks. So for ya that usually equals 150 a day. We get groceries to take to the hotel for breakfast. Then if I am
Adding anything extra like a show package I just subtract the amount.

I'm planning a trip in May and booking a package is significantly cheaper than booking direct. Sometimes the contracted rate the hotels have with Disney is less. If you're looking at hotels near Convention center it really depends on what's going on at the Anaheim Convention Center. December is generally not a big month for conventions so you may be OK there. I would price out all options including through Costco.

Just a note, food is actually substantially cheaper at Disneyland than at Disney World. Additionally, if you are a cast member, DVC member or passholder, discounts are available at all food locations that are not considered outdoor vending (cast members get discounts at many locations that are considered outdoor vending as well). Also at many locations there are additional discounts, such as for AAA members, Disney Visa Card holders, etc.

AAA has fewer and fewer discounts at DLR these days, so don't depend on that alone. It doesn't hurt to ask, but it helps to have the other options as backups.

AAA has fewer and fewer discounts at DLR these days, so don't depend on that alone. It doesn't hurt to ask, but it helps to have the other options as backups.
Absolutely, but always ask, the worst you will be told is no and sometimes CMs pixie dust and treat AAA as DVC, but that is on the CM and definitely pixie dust.

Hack your trip. You've got a year to figure out what it is and do it.

Last family trip we only paid for the last night of our weekend long stay.

Wife and I just got back from a week in Hawaii that didn't cost anything for flights or lodging.

I'm budgeting 15 each qs meal and we are planning on splitting many meals and eat snacks along the way. Also, look at Getaway today if you can. I find the packages are the best i can find and have hotels right across the street. some best those, ate best western Park place inn, Camelot inn, and one we are trying this time. Castle inn.
:thumbsup2 We’ve stayed at both the Camelot and the Castle Inn. The Camelot location and roof-top pool (with views of the park and fireworks) can’t be beat. The Castle was (long’ish) walkable, clean and the front desk service was very good.

Has anyone stayed at the Anaheim Hotel? I have heard good reviews and the rooms look large and comfortable.
This used to be the Anaheim Plaza Hotel. Then it was taken over by the Anabella folks. Remodel, refresh, add Pizza Press. Ta Da! Except that the old problems still seem to be there in spite of the new look. We have friends and family who used to stay there regularly (against their will -- school groups booked the hotel because of the low rates) and swore they would never stay there on their own volition. Their complaints correlated with what I read here: problems with the showers, rooms not consistently clean, noise issues, poor communication with management, etc. Not worth the low rate to have those kind of worries on a vacation. I would rather pay more money to have the peace of mind to know that I will have a good stay at a hotel I can trust. And we like Pizza Press, but we don't have to stay at that hotel to eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter