Help! They denied my mother in law the Disability Pass.

Mycutekitties1

Earning My Ears
My elderly mother and father in law took my 2 daughters on a surprise Disneyland trip. They just arrived today until and will be there Sunday. My mother in law went to City Hall and asked for the DAS pass and was denied. They told her ''Disneyland is a walking and standing park"'. But I am looking on their page and they talk about the programs they have for disabled people. She has Neuropathic Pain really bad where she cant walk and stand well. She was going to get a letter from her doctor but I told her not to worry about it because they will be able to help her without a letter. They have been there since 5 pm and she is already having a very hard time (3 hours). She isn't asking to get on rides right away (like in years past) but would love the service where she can get a fast pass card (?) and come back. That way they can sit down outside the ride and wait instead of stand. She might rent a scooter.
Soooooo I told her to go back and ask to talk to a manager and show them the website that talks about the DAS pass.
Anything else she can do? Is that standard practice to be denied one? She isn't trying to cheat the system she needs it.

I wish I could help. However, the people on the disabilities forum would probably be very helpful. You might want to post there.

She isn't asking to get on rides right away (like in years past) but would love the service where she can get a fast pass card (?) and come back.

That will make her walk MORE.

Except that she just wants to sit and wait. Which will make her total time longer for each ride because she'll still have to make her way through the line.

She needs to get the scooter.

For those who have a hard time walking and standing, the DAS is inappropriate. She wasn't *denied* help, but in her case, the DAS isn't going to help. It's standard practice to help. She needs a wheelchair or a scooter. THAT is what is going to help her. Just gotta frame it in a different way.

Google Deckert's scooters and call them. Get an offsite scooter because it will be so much cheaper. Not sure where she is staying and if taking the scooter will be more or less convenient, but really think about it. There are other offsite scooter rental places, but I've heard all good about Deckert's on the Disneyland boards (you said Disneyland so I'm responding for the Anaheim park)

You should post on Disability forum where there is info on a sticky about the DAS. But her issue described is a mobility one and their answer will be rent an ECV or wheelchair. A rollator works well to have a seat with you if she has one. She's being denied because her issue can be managed with a device and would not qualify for a DAS.

Ok thanks everyone that makes since. I think she is going to rent a scooter. If she does does she need to go back to city hall and tell them to get another kind of pass or just take the scooter to the exits?

There is no need to go to city hall. All she has to do is approach the CM's at the attraction entrance (or handicapped entrance. Her ticket (and the tickets of everyone else in the party) will be scanned. She will then be given a return time, which is roughly equal to the standby wait time. She can only have one of these return times at any She is also free to make use of the FP system as well.

Disney does not provide DAS for mobility issues, their answer to that is to use a wheelchair or scooter and use of the FP+ system.

Ok thanks everyone that makes since. I think she is going to rent a scooter. If she does does she need to go back to city hall and tell them to get another kind of pass or just take the scooter to the exits?

On many rides you would just take the scooter in the regular line - the CM at the attraction entrance can tell you what to do.

OP, the ECV rental is her best option, or another mobility device that will allow her a place to sit while in lines (wheelchair, rollator, cane seat, etc.). The DL & DCA Disability Access Service Card thread pinned near the top of this forum has details in the first post -- no need to wade through the rest of that thread. Disney's standard accommodation for mobility or stamina issues is to suggest a wheelchair or ECV.

I hope they enjoy the rest of their vacation!

As others have said your mom needs to rent a wheel chair or ECV with a DAS card she will walk more you do not need to ask for any kinds of pass.

As others have said, she'll need to hire an EVC or a chair. We'll be travelling with my MIL, who is an above-knee amputee. Her prosthetic isn't the most comfortable, so she isn't planning on wearing it at all when we're there, and she's so happy she can just join in lines with us most times. Disney have done a good job at making the queues accessible, and will tell you where that isn't the case on arrival.

Have a great trip! :)

On many rides you would just take the scooter in the regular line - the CM at the attraction entrance can tell you what to do.

not at DL, (where Mom is) very few lines are mainstreamed/can accommodate an ECV. wheelchairs can barely squeeze by in a few lines.

not at DL, (where Mom is) very few lines are mainstreamed/can accommodate an ECV. wheelchairs can barely squeeze by in a few lines.
It is true that DL is not as accessible as WDW through the regular lines.
But, guests with ECVs and wheelchairs don't need to DAS just to use whatever is the correct access point for them.
They just go to the attraction and since the CM can see their mobility device, they don't need anything else.

It is true that DL is not as accessible as WDW through the regular lines.
But, guests with ECVs and wheelchairs don't need to DAS just to use whatever is the correct access point for them.
They just go to the attraction and since the CM can see their mobility device, they don't need anything else.

AFAIK, DCA is totally accessible.

The poster only said "many", not all.

And on a multi-day trip to "Disneyland", surely they'll be going to DCA, where everything is accessible. So putting the two parks together, you can get "many" out of the total number of rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter