Help, please

tomi

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
We are planning our first trip to Disneyland. We will be flying into LAX and staying at the Disneyland Hotel for 3 nights the week before Thanksgiving. Then we will be driving up to SanFrancisco for another 3 nights. Can someone please help me with the best route? How long will the drive take ? Thanks so much.

I can give you a general idea of the route to take.

I would go hwy 5 N to 580 W to 101S .

Try mapquest.com or yahoo maps! for a better idea.

<font color=navy>Hi Tomi,

There are a couple of routes you can take, one is the way WDW2002 said (except take 101N), and the total mileage is around 400 miles or so. I think it's the quicker route.

A longer, but more picturesque route, is to take Hwy 1, which runs along the beautiful California coast. That trip will take at least 9 hours, but it is truly a beautiful drive, and you'll pass such places as Malibu, Santa Barbara (home of our TheLionKing), Morro Rock, Gilroy (Garlic capital), San Simeon, Monterey, Carmel, etc.

Good luck on whichever route you choose. :)

WDW2002 and MaryJo - thank you for your help. I am really getting excited now! Tomi

If you've got the time, I'd definitely go up 101. Lots more interesting places to stop for food and breaks. 1 is pretty, but much, much slower.

Going up 5 all you're going to see is truck stops and mostly fast-food. The two best places to stop are Harris Ranch Restaurant (junction of 5 and 198) and Santa Nella (about fifteen miles north of the junction of 152 and 5).

There are 3 main highways heading north from LA. The 5, the 101 and the 1.

The 5 runs right up the middle of the state through the San Joaquin valley. You are passing nothing but farms and trucks which gets pretty boring, but it is the fastest route north. From the 5 you take the 580 west which will take you across the Bay bridge into San Francisco. Six to seven hours depending on your speed and the number of stops. I agree with Douglas, Harris ranch has great steaks.

The 101 is a little longer but a lot nicer. You can stop at Solvang (a Danish themed town, good for a late breakfast), Hurst castle (a short side trip), Salinas (not much too look at but John Steinbeck lived there), and Gilroy (Garlic everything). Generally better scenery too. Perhaps an hour more than the 5, but I find it far less fatiguing.

The 1 is a driving challenge that I would NOT recommend for the entire trip north. This would be the longest route and if you have small ones they might not appreciate starting before the sun and arriving after dusk. Because it follows the coast it has some very winding sections. Many people take the 101 and detour along the 1 from San Luis Obispo, through Big Sur and Monterey. The advantage is getting to see some truly wonderful scenery. Golden hills (green if it has rained), craggy rocks, and redwood forest. This is some of the California that you just can't fit into DCA.

:smooth: Bring sunglasses!

Captain Nemo got it mostly right, except that Hearst Castle is pretty far off 101. It would make a great stop if you were going up 1 and had plenty of time, but I wouldn't recommend stopping there on a one day trip between L.A. and S.F.

I considered mentioning Solvang earlier, but thought I'd wait until I heard how much time you had. Also there's plenty of cool places to eat around San Luis Obispo. Let me know if you want more information - I know it pretty well since I spent 6 years going to college there.

I'd recommend going up 101 to Salinas, then crossing over to 1 via 183, then up 1 to Santa Cruz. From there you can take 17 to 280, which will take you into S.F. I think that's a route that would allow you to see a lot of the California coast, but yet not take forever.

I would have to disagree with 101 only taking an hour more then 5. I would say 101 would be at least 3 more hours.

The time we took 101 it took about 12 hours compared with 5 only taking 9 or so.

For spead take 5, if you have time or want to make it a two day trip take 101. I have never done 1 but have heard nothing good about it from a driver stand point. Though the view might be good for the passangers.

You must have hit a lot of traffic. I went to Yahoo and mapped both alternatives. Via 5 it's 407 miles, which should only take 6 to 7 hours, maybe 8 with stops. Via 101 it's 457 miles, but the limit is a little lower, so it could take 8 hours, and probably 9 with stops

Well 101 will give you a LOT more traffic troubles. While 5 there is usually little or no congestion.

Now my "times" in my above post will be scewed a bit since I am north of SF not IN SF but I do believe that 101 will take at least 2 - 3 extra hours then HWY 5. But, a lot of it does depend on traffic, time of day you are traveling, how many stops you make etc. No two trips are the same and no two "travelers" are the same. But with out doubt, if you just want to make it from point A to point B in the shortest/quickest way possilbe HWY 5 is the way to go. However, if you don't mind a longer, more lesiurely trip then 101 will offer that. Having done both, I much prefer 5.

For those who haven't been down 5 in awhile they do have a several "truck" stops that have several eateries in one place as well as games, washers/dryers, a quikie mart, and the one we have gone to even had a small movie theater.

Wow, I can't believe all the great responses I got! I certainly know where to go for excellent information! Since I have never been to California I would really like to see as much as possible so we will probably follow 101. My daughter is 8 but is pretty good in the car. Since I get such great info. here - what can we expect for weather around Thanksgiving? Thanks again. Tomi

Since no one else pointed this out, I just wanted you to know, to avoided the "rush hour(s)" traffic, make sure you either leave EARLY in the morning (4am) or later (10am). Nothing ruins a car trip like having to sit in traffic for a couple of hours.

As for weather, anything is possible. I would expect at least in LA warmish days and cool night. SF expect cool days and cooler nights.

WDW2002 - I don't know a whole lot about So. Cal. traffic patterns, but wouldn't they be allright if they took 91 west to the 405? I would think that would be generally reverse commute. Similarly, I would think once you're past downtown L.A. going north on 5 in the morning, traffic wouldn't be too bad.

I am certainly no expert on LA traffic but I do remember hitting traffic and we left at 5 am. I wasn't the driver that trip so I am not sure on which freeway but we were either on or heading to 101, with an experienced LA traffic driver.

Originally posted by MaryJo
<font color=navy>

There are a couple of routes you can take, one is the way WDW2002 said (except take 101N)

I was just in that area today coming home from Beauty and the Beast on Ice. And it is deffienetly 101 SOUTH from the 580. The 580 comes to 101 NORTH of SF.

Christa

OK, the nitty gritty for San Francisco is…If you come up interstate 5 north, and then take Interstate 580 west, you will come to the edge of the bay and the bay bridge. The bay bridge is actually part of Interstate 80. around half way across the bridge you cross that magic county line; you have just entered San Francisco county…a couple of hundred feet in the air. :bounce:

When the Bay Bridge touches down on terra firma again you will be IN San Francisco Having approached it from the East side. From here you may catch the 101, or the 280, etc. to get to you final destination. :jester:

Having grown up in LA I must say that you are doomed to hit traffic somewhere. From DisneyLand north you will cross several residential areas and business areas. As you approach one business area you will have traffic, as you pass it behind the traffic will go away…till you start to approach the next. Since I moved away about 6-7 years ago I can't say anything about current traffic patterns. Sorry. :confused:

Finally, having made the trip back and forth many many times on both the 101 and the 5, I stand by my 1 hour difference (exclusive of stops). :smooth:

WEATHER: It tends to be cooler, and sometimes rain, but you never know. The 101 passes back and forth across the coastal mountains in a couple of spots. It will be noticeably sunnier and warmer when you're inland, but bring jackets.

If you have a lot of patience and want a pretty drive, take the 101. However, expect a rather long drive. If you have the time to spend, it is beautiful. The 5 will get you to the bay area in 4-5 hours. I am not patient enough and usually take the 5. I went to college in the Bay Area and have made the treck at least 20 times. The 101 is just too time consuming for me. Have a great trip!!! - Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter