Help Please - the best hotel for a family of 6

bryal99

Earning My Ears
We are now a family of 6 - Myself, DH, 3xDS's and DD:dance3::dance3:.
In the past, pre- children, we have stayed at DH and then with 2xDS's we stayed at NYH and then subsequently returned with 3 x DS's to DH.

We like the convenience (and luxury!!) of the DH - but wondered what other people's experiences with 'larger' families were like at these and other hotels in the village. Also we have considered CDC - we regularly Keycamp/Eurocamp (as our 5* hols become a more distant dream)!!

We are open to trying any options :idea: that people recommend. I am very new to this site having stumbled upon it following our return from Orlando in July 09. We are Disney Mad and it was great to return with the children to Florida! Thank you in advance for any information. :thumbsup2

We're only a family of 4 but couldn't bear to be stuck in one small room again after the Cheyenne last December.

We're going to the Marriott this time in a two bed villa which is actually 2 bed plus sofabed in living room. It's 4 or 5* I think so no need to slum it and only 5 mins from Disney. I think they do 3 bed villas as well. They generally come highly recommended on the fora from people that have actually stayed there.

We have also stayed at Explorers, a really lovely hotel but the only thing (in our eyes) that let it down was the bus service to the parks (this was July 2005 so things could have changed since then). As the buses served all 4 hotels in that area we found that we had either a long wait for buses (20 - 25 minutes) or they were full when getting to us, other than that the hotel was great, swimming pool was adequate for our needs and the walk back after 'Wishes' was eventful!

Hi bryal99 ~ welcome to the DLP DISboard. :welcome:

We're a friendly lot on here, so please join in on any thread or if you have a number of questions then just start a new thread for each.

If you haven't had a look yet, the DLP DISboard posting rules are here and the DIS posting guidelines can be found here. :)

There are family rooms which sleep 6 at the Disneyland Hotel and Newport Bay (can't remember about Hotel New York, are there any there??) but these are expensive ~ I can remember someone once saying it cost them less to book two rooms at the Disneyland Hotel than the family room.

The other options are Marriott, Explorers, Davy Crockett Ranch, staying at Val d'Europe at either Hotel l'Elysee (EMH here) or Adagio, or else get two rooms at one of the Disney hotels.

We're a family of 5 and have always stayed at the Explorers buying Dream annual passes for EMH but I agree with Diane that the buses can be extremely manic in the evening when the park is shutting.

Are you planning on driving as you will definitely need a car if you stay at the Ranch and although it's not necessary at Marriott as they do run a shuttle service people who've stayed there have found it easier if they have a car.

There's a shuttle service from the Val d'Europe hotels but people have often said it's easier and quicker to catch the RER train in.

Hello, I am new to this site too. I am also mum to 3 boys and a girl and have never been to DLRP with all 6 of us (my youngest will be 1 at the end of this month).

We have stayed at the Vienna Dream Castle hotel before, only once with the 5 of us but our dd was in a travel cot and the 2 older boys in the bunks. This time we have booked to stay at the Davy Crocket in a 2 bed cabin, I like the fact that it is self catering so that we can be flexible with our eating out.

I hope you can get some good advice and enjoy your holiday.

love Kerry xx

Hi, we are a family of six (me, DW and 4 x DD). Last time we stayed in the Explorers which was great and we had no problems with the shuttle.

This time we are staying in the NPB and found it was cheaper to get two connecting rooms than one of the (few) family rooms. It was also only slightly more expensive than the Explorers thanks to the 40% special offer.

There are 5 of us and we would always recommend the Marriott - having a house gives you so much more space. They have two bathrooms and three toilets.

We have stayed at DCR in a two bedroon cabin and will be trying the Explorers for the first time in October.

We are going shortly, staying at the DLH and when I called to book, they did give me a quote for a family room as an option (we are going with my parents so really wanted two rooms for privacy etc). The family room worked out a fair bit cheaper than two rooms so it may be an option for you if you really wanted to stay there....

I would vote for Marriott as well. We stayed there last time and their services were just great. You really get what you paid for :)

We joined the marriott loyalty club then searched the internet for codes settling on reward code MEB as the best discount.

We got a 2 bed villa for 133 euros per night which while it isn't hugely cheap is great for a two bed villa.

We also joined the Hertz loyalty club and got a Mercedes (or similar) with GPS luxury class rental for 7 days for £300. YMMV as the same car is now £694 even with membership but worth a try. Most people suggest a car is essential for the Marriott.

EDIT: we booked direct through Marriott as it was cheapest for us. Added benefit was we only pay for 1 night up front and it's all fully refundable.

It is all about timing. Marriott can be as little as £133 a night and as much as £490 a night (peak). The absolute cheapest way is to buy a week at £19,000 and then £900 maintenance a year, but you own for 75 years. That's what we did and you can swap for other awesome properties around the globe.

Alternatively, keep your eyes peeled on the MArriott website and Expedia.

Just looked back to see if I had any replies and there are lots !! Thank you all so much and I will look into all the options I think and compare - I am thinking we may need to do this trip on a bit of a budget due to the Florida trip we have just returned from !!
But - we all love Disneyland and 'tho we will return to Orlando in 2011 we NEED to go next year......
So Paris it will be !! Hopefully........
Anyways... any more top tips advice greatfully received especially for the larger family (ie 6 of us !).
:thumbsup2 Thanks again !

bryal99 - if you really want to go budget, the Adagio and the Appart Hotels are in Val D'Europe - 1 railway stop or about 3 miles drive away. I have not stayed there, but I have heard great things.

Or if you are really into Disney and wanted to, rather than rent at MArriott, as I say, you can buy. Once you buy in, you can swap your unit for others (there are several in Orlando that Marriott own, of the awesome Newport Coast resort in California, not too faf from the original, and IMHO the best, Disneyland).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter