Help! Need Cushion Advice

Groot

I am Groot
When I bought my first cushion for my wheelchair, I wasn’t going on many overnight trips. Well, fast forward to 2019 and my mom objected to bringing my own personal wheelchair with us on the plane to Disney. Well, one minute of pushing me in one of MCO’s manual wheelchairs and she quickly changed her tune to “Alright, next time you can bring your powerchair on the next trip.

Well since then, after a few day trip, I discovered that my current foam cushion isn’t as comfortable with all dayers in my chair and after doing some research, I’ve decided to upgrade to a gel cushion (air cushions are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE and I’m not sure about adjusting it with the pressure valve on my own.)

I also narrowed down my search to 2 separate cushions, but I don’t know which one is the better choice.

Choice 1:

3330D6B7-E31D-4FD2-81A5-032145409406.png

Choice 2:
57B68F65-431A-4137-95AB-DBFD3B16499D.png

Which one should I go with?

Gosh, I have no idea!!!

My gel cushion is "off the shelf" from Amazon; as I have lost weight, it has held up well, and overall it offers me relief everywhere I need to use it (it has a seatbelt-webbing type handle sewn in).

I'm not even sure where you could find reviews for cushions like those? Oh wait: Spinlife has reviews!

My daughter has had Jay cushions on all her wheelchairs except her current power wheelchair.
She has had Jay 2 Deep Contour cushions in the past. When she got a new manual wheelchair in September, the therapist suggested the Jay 2 (regular) cushion. It’s very similar to the Jay 3 in your first picture.
The biggest difference comparing the Jay 2 to the Jay 3 is the Jay 3 gel compartment is a separate piece. The Jay 2 gel compartment is attached to a larger piece.
The main reason the Jay 2 was recommended was that it was more similar to her previous cushion. The therapist could not understand why she previously had a Jay 2 Deep Contour, which is usually used for bariatric patients (my DD is only about 85 pounds).90B9A0FE-BC1A-4FB0-A44B-6AE6A75E725A.jpeg

I don’t know who you are buying the cushion from, but if it’s someplace online like 1800wheelchair or Spinlife, they should have a chat function that can help you decide and also have therapists who can help you.

that said, I would highly recommend Jay gel cushions. My daughter has used a wheelchair with one for over 20 years and we have been very pleased with them.
The maintenance is mostly just kneading the gel occasionally to make sure it is well distributed.
Air cushions (which she has on her current power wheelchair) take more maintenanc. You do have to check the air level and sometimes put more air in. Kind of a pain.

if you are flying, you want to bring the seat cushion into the plane with you. The gel In the gel cushions gets very cold if left in the baggage compartment and its Possible to get a thermal injury by sitting on freezing cold gel.

I don’t know who you are buying the cushion from, but if it’s someplace online like 1800wheelchair or Spinlife, they should have a chat function that can help you decide and also have therapists who can help you.

Yeah, I’m definitely buying from Spin. Funny thing, the other day, they sent me a catalog and my dad (who doesn’t completely support me using a mobility device.) casually flips through the catalog and plops it down into my lap and points to the Drive Cobra and says “I like that one!” I would too, if it was “Disney Legal” (aka able to fit on a bus).

Then my mom says that I should make a decision on a new cushion before we go on a couple of bus trips next month. (Which I was going to wait a few months until our Disney trip got a little bit closer.)

I’m currently reading the reviews on Spinlife right now.

Last edited:
When I bought my first cushion for my wheelchair, I wasn’t going on many overnight trips. Well, fast forward to 2019 and my mom objected to bringing my own personal wheelchair with us on the plane to Disney. Well, one minute of pushing me in one of MCO’s manual wheelchairs and she quickly changed her tune to “Alright, next time you can bring your powerchair on the next trip.

Well since then, after a few day trip, I discovered that my current foam cushion isn’t as comfortable with all dayers in my chair and after doing some research, I’ve decided to upgrade to a gel cushion (air cushions are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE and I’m not sure about adjusting it with the pressure valve on my own.)

I also narrowed down my search to 2 separate cushions, but I don’t know which one is the better choice.

Choice 1:

View attachment 567135

Choice 2:
View attachment 567133

Which one should I go with?

I am getting a Jay 3 or something like it for my next chair. I enjoy the gel cushion more than the air cusion inset. I have a lot of hip trouble, so having a gel/air insert under the buttocks is more comfortable for me.

I would ask a physical therapist or your doctor before getting anything.

Yeah, I’m definitely buying from Spin. Funny thing, the other day, they sent me a catalog and my dad (who doesn’t completely support me using a mobility device.) casually flips through the catalog and plops it down into my lap and points to the Drive Cobra and says “I like that one!” I would too, if it was “Disney Legal” (aka able to fit on a bus).

Then my mom says that I should make a decision on a new cushion before we go on a couple of bus trips next month. (Which I was going to wait a few months until our Disney trip got a little bit closer.)

I’m curre reading the reviews on Spinlife right now.
Whoa!
that thing is huge: 71 inches long with an 82 inch turning radius!
It would be hard to use anywhere indoors.

For sure a power wheelchair turns much tighter than a scooter.
That Cobra is much bigger than most scooters though!
Yeah, but most scooter companies (Pride, Drive, etc.) are making more and more scooters that DON’T meet bus specs for the space inside.

Yeah, but most scooter companies (Pride, Drive, etc.) are making more and more scooters that DON’T meet bus specs for the space inside.
My personal opinion is that they are making those big ones for outdoor use; maybe people who would have previously done a lot of walking, outdoors activities or motorcycle riding.
This particular one doesn’t fold or come apart and it’s way too big to fit in a wheelchair accessible van. So, someone would need a lift or hoist to put it into a large SUV or the back of a pickup truck (or a trailer).

My personal opinion is that they are making those big ones for outdoor use; maybe people who would have previously done a lot of walking, outdoors activities or motorcycle riding.
This particular one doesn’t fold or come apart and it’s way too big to fit in a wheelchair accessible van. So, someone would need a lift or hoist to put it into a large SUV or the back of a pickup truck (or a trailer).

I agree - I think the target market for something like those might overlap a wee bit with the potential golf cart buyer in a Venn diagram of "what I drive at The Villages" 😉

I agree - I think the target market for something like those might overlap a wee bit with the potential golf cart buyer in a Venn diagram of "what I drive at The Villages" 😉

Hm... *Debates looking into the Villages when I move to Florida.*

That was my thought too, but I was having trouble thinking of ways to say it

I’m currently reading the reviews on Spinlife right now.

Edit: Yikes! After going on Spinlife and seeing their price, I’m gonna get it from another site. (They want over $500 for the one I want!)

Has anyone tried a memory foam donut cushion? I've been sitting on one of those for a few weeks now, all day at work/home/truck. I feel like it gives great cushioning but prevents sore spots on the tailbone region. It has good shock absorbency as well.

Has anyone tried a memory foam donut cushion? I've been sitting on one of those for a few weeks now, all day at work/home/truck. I feel like it gives great cushioning but prevents sore spots on the tailbone region. It has good shock absorbency as well.

Interesting! Do you mind sharing where you found it? (I'm *guessing* Amazon... LOL) I am always on the lookout for a nice cushion that won't put unnecessary pressure on the tailbone area!

Yes, it's the Primica Donut Pillow (on Amazon) and I just ordered two more, one for each vehicle. I cannot ride in my husband's truck without one. Just had an appointment with PT and she loved the cushion as well. She said it was much better than the two they recommend? I've been sitting on it constantly for over a month and it still works great, looks great, feels great. I just don't think it will last as long as a gel cushion, but it was less that $30.

Yes, it's the Primica Donut Pillow (on Amazon) and I just ordered two more, one for each vehicle. I cannot ride in my husband's truck without one. Just had an appointment with PT and she loved the cushion as well. She said it was much better than the two they recommend? I've been sitting on it constantly for over a month and it still works great, looks great, feels great. I just don't think it will last as long as a gel cushion, but it was less that $30.

But your cost per day is already less than $1 (since you have been using it daily for more than a month) so that's awesome! Thanks for the info! 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter