Help! My friend has 5 little ones!

mytwinklestar

Mouseketeer
I have a dear friend and her husband who have never been to Disney before as a family. She had gone once as a child - he has never been! :scared1: They want to bring their children for Mardi Gras. :yay: I have done some preliminary searches and was hoping that perhaps my friends on the Dis could help me. The kids are 9, 7, 6, 4, and 2. I am thinking that two value rooms would be the most cost effective means. Is there any hope for a code during the last week of February? I am considering renewing just one of our APs in December when we visit just to maybe get a passholder discount room rate for that time. I believe you can book up to four rooms with an AP. Is that correct? We would be returning with them for this trip. Anyone have any Dis wisdom that they can share as to how we might save my friend some money staying onsite? After sharing our enthusiasm and bragging on Dis and the great resources here, I am hoping to impress my friend and help her out, too! TYIA!:flower3:

I believe you can only book 1 room with an AP now so that won't work. Discounts for Feb. will probalby be out in early November. 2 Rooms at a Value would be the most economical for them. Good Luck!

Two values would definitely be the best way to go for rooms. Getting a disc in Feb might be difficult. Your passholder rate would come out until January I think. It used to be only 3 room per pass so you might want to call about that. I would book the rooms and then hope a discount comes out later. Rather then telling them they might get a discount and non comes out.

Other possibilities for 6 plus one under 3 (the under 3 doesn't count in the room total):

All Star Music Family suite, which has a separate room for mom and dad, kitchenette and two bathrooms. The kids beds are foldouts, however. Sleeps 6 plus an under 3

Wilderness Cabin at Fort Wilderness sleeps 6 plus an under 3

Though pricey, I think there are Junior Suites at Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge that sleep 6 plus an under 3

They could check into renting DVC points for a two bedroom at any DVC property.

Two rooms at a value are probably going to be the way to go or a cabin at FWC. They could look into renting points for a two bedroom DVC unit. As far as booking rooms with the AP rate - you used to be able to book up to three rooms with one AP, now you can only book one room with one AP.

If they are wanting the most economical they might want to consider staying off property in either a nearby townhouse/condo or a house. I'd point them towards DU for assistance.

If they (and you) don't mind, you could stay offsite in a house. We have stayed twice in the same Windsor Hills house with 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, game room, and pool with jacuzzi (if you were worried about the pool it has a fence around it and an alarm for the sliding doors that go outside and it WILL wake everyone up) My kids absolutely loved it there. It really is very close to the parks but you will need to rent a car. If you want to stay on disney property 2 adjoining rooms would be your best bet.

pirate:

As someone else said - I would check in to the family suites at the ASMu or the cabins at FW.

I have a dear friend and her husband who have never been to Disney before as a family. She had gone once as a child - he has never been! :scared1: They want to bring their children for Mardi Gras. :yay: I have done some preliminary searches and was hoping that perhaps my friends on the Dis could help me. The kids are 9, 7, 6, 4, and 2. I am thinking that two value rooms would be the most cost effective means. Is there any hope for a code during the last week of February? I am considering renewing just one of our APs in December when we visit just to maybe get a passholder discount room rate for that time. I believe you can book up to four rooms with an AP. Is that correct? We would be returning with them for this trip. Anyone have any Dis wisdom that they can share as to how we might save my friend some money staying onsite? After sharing our enthusiasm and bragging on Dis and the great resources here, I am hoping to impress my friend and help her out, too! TYIA!:flower3:

I believe you can only book 1 room with an AP now so that won't work. Discounts for Feb. will probalby be out in early November. 2 Rooms at a Value would be the most economical for them. Good Luck!

You can book 2 rooms IF you book both rooms in your name. I asked and was able to do this for our Nov. trip. Another idea might be the FT. Wilderness cabins, They are super nice, here's the layout:
fwcbfloor-1.gif

Last year the general public codes for packages were released on Nov.1 for that time frame. AP discounts for packages were available on Oct 31st, so I'd keep my eyes open around that time.
WDW may be releasing more discounts because of the economy. I'd say book your rooms, pay the deposit. If a code is released, have it applied. That way you'll at least have rooms.
Whatever you decide, have fun!!

I have checked into the best/cheapest way to go with 5 kids. I found that 2 values is cheaper than one all star suite. So, I would go with that. It is also very expensive to eat at Disney with 5 kids. So, I am bringing snacks and stopping by the grocery store for lunchmeat. The dining plan gets expensive for 7 people also so I think that breakfast in the room and then eat everytime you go back to the room for a break. Tell her to start saving coins and one dollar bills for the kids now and then get a disney gift card for each child closer to the trip. There are great discounts on passes at different internet based websites so check that out also. And if you decide go offsite for Sea World or Bushes Gardens ask everyone you know if they know someone that works a Anheiser Bush for free tickets. Good Luck!

You all are phenomenal! Thank you! I am going to keep my eyes and ears open. If you find something that might help my friend, please let me know. I am going to let her know of the options thus far. I am so hoping to find a code/discount that will help them make this dream a reality. Thanks to my Dis family!:hug:

A few years ago, I was able to book up to three rooms with AP discount. Beyond that, with the economy what it is, WDw will probably offer some generous discounts.

Beyond that, the first half of February is MUCH less expensive that the latter half. FEb 1 to 12 rates are $82 per night. Presidents weekend, FEb 13-15 rates are $135 per night. Ater that, FEb 16 until April 3 rates are $125 weekday, $135 weekend nights.
Otherwise Spring is almost the most expensive time of year. Fall is quite a bit less. If you are on a budget, consider this. I think the season also changes again in April. April 19 until May, the rate goes down to $105/$115.

Even if you get a discount, you'll usually be better off with a discount during value season.

Disney changed the annual pass discount last year so now you can only book one room per AP. Below is from Mousesavers:

You can book one room per adult Annual Pass. You can book with a valid Annual Pass, an exchange voucher or with the intent to purchase an Annual Pass, as long as you present a valid Annual Pass or exchange voucher upon check-in.

We are a family with 5 kids too. We´ve always stayed offsite but this year we´re doing a split stay between offsite (1 week condo, 1 week villa) and a week in 2 rooms at a value (ASMu). 2 rooms at a value turned out to be the cheapest option for us if we wanted to stay onsite :)

Disney changed the annual pass discount last year so now you can only book one room per AP. Below is from Mousesavers:

You can book more than 1 room with an AP IF, as I posted earlier, the rooms are in your name and if you pay for them using the same credit card. They told me that I could do this when I revised my reservation today.
You can't reserve rooms in other people names or reserve more than 1 room in your name using different people's credit cards.

A few years ago, I was able to book up to three rooms with AP discount. Beyond that, with the economy what it is, WDw will probably offer some generous discounts.

Beyond that, the first half of February is MUCH less expensive that the latter half. FEb 1 to 12 rates are $82 per night. Presidents weekend, FEb 13-15 rates are $135 per night. Ater that, FEb 16 until April 3 rates are $125 weekday, $135 weekend nights.
Otherwise Spring is almost the most expensive time of year. Fall is quite a bit less. If you are on a budget, consider this. I think the season also changes again in April. April 19 until May, the rate goes down to $105/$115.

Even if you get a discount, you'll usually be better off with a discount during value season.

Unfortunately for OP, her friends want to go over Mardi Gras which is Feb. 24th in 2009. But I agree with pp that Disney may very well offer some discounted packages because of the economy. We got Free Dining close to Christmas for this year and Disney doesn't typically offer that great of a package for that time of year, so its not out of the question for when your friends are looking to go!

Good luck to them!

If you friends absolutely want to stay on-property, the best price-wise would definitely be 2 rooms at a value resort. I think the rules have changed on APs and you can no longer book up to 4 rooms now. Have your friends check AAA.com. I know that oftentimes, AAA will have rates as low as $65 for the value resorts.

I know the same level of "magic" isn't there with staying off-property, but they may want to consider renting a house or a condo. You can get a 4-5 BR house for around $150/night (sometimes less, sometimes more) and they would have so much room to stretch out.

We are a family of 6 and the cheapest way to stay on property is getting two connecting rooms at a value. We have always found having the two bathrooms and the four beds and all of the extra room really great. Also, the dining plan is a huge money saver for us. The child price of the dining plan is only about $10 per day. There is no way that I could feed my kids 1 counter service meal, 1 table service meal (which is usually a character meal) and 1 snack per day in Walt Disney World without the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter