Help me with my quest for non-fried food!

Skiton

Mouseketeer
Hi all! Since our youngest son spent our whole DL trip last spring vomiting, we've planned a redo for this May! Super-excited. We obviously weren't in the parks nearly as much as we would have liked before (DH and I swapped out with our oldest for most of the trip), but when we were, we had a hard time finding food options that weren't junk. I'd like to have an idea of some locations where we can get some healthier stuff when we go again. Last trip, we loved Bengal BBQ for heavy snacks/light lunch, also Dole Whip which made a great treat, soft pretzels and strawberries at the Thunder Ranch area (so sad that's gone away) and of course the fruit carts. Does anyone have other suggestions? Particularly in CA?

BTW, I do realize a theme park is not the place to play food cop. It's just that we don't eat much fried stuff and it doesn't really agree with any of us when we do, so it's in our best interest to save the beignets and hand-dipped corn dogs for the end of the day. :)

Jolly Holiday Cafe has soups and sandwiches for adults and kids. Pizza Port has salads.

Paradise Pier has many options of pasta, pizza, salads and outside it has some great greek food. The wharf area has soups and sandwiches, great mexican food...

Most sit-down restaurants have lots of choices.

I don't have actual suggestions but honestly I found the opposite - I found DLR was a place where most places had great healthy options - not every CS place was burgers and fries like you might think - so I don't think you will have a problem but I know you will get lots of great suggestions from others.

When you say "fried" foods, do you mean things that are submerged in oil to be cooked (e.g., corn dogs) or are you including almost anything that can be greasy (e.g., hamburgers)? If you're only trying to exclude the deep fried foods, then most all of the CS locations have non-fried foods on the menu. As far as I can tell (and from what I remember), almost all CS locations have at least one salad option on the menu (although, it might just be a plain basic salad). I know I've had salads at Redd Rockett's, Hungry Bear, Jolly Holiday, and French Market. The Pacific Wharf Cafe (aka Boudin's Bakery) in DCA has soups and salads.

When you say "fried" foods, do you mean things that are submerged in oil to be cooked (e.g., corn dogs) or are you including almost anything that can be greasy (e.g., hamburgers)? If you're only trying to exclude the deep fried foods, then most all of the CS locations have non-fried foods on the menu. As far as I can tell (and from what I remember), almost all CS locations have at least one salad option on the menu (although, it might just be a plain basic salad). I know I've had salads at Redd Rockett's, Hungry Bear, Jolly Holiday, and French Market. The Pacific Wharf Cafe (aka Boudin's Bakery) in DCA has soups and salads.

Mostly I mean heavy, greasy stuff. My kids love sandwiches but aren't huge fans of burgers, for instance. We ate at Flo's V-8 cafe last time we were there and while the food was yummy, we walked away wanting a nap instead of being ready to tackle all the stuff we had planned for the afternoon. We like salad, sandwiches, grilled chicken, fruit (chocolate covered is fine), that sort of thing. Also we don't eat huge lunches, and so anything with table service is kind of a waste for us.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We went to Universal Orlando over the holidays and they REALLY didn't seem to have a lot of options, I think we'll be much better off on this trip now that I know where to look.

Take a look at Disney Dining and read the menus of some of the places suggested. That might help so you are not searching for a place when everyone is hungry. :)

Earl Of Sandwish in DTD has salads and sandwiches that are super tasty and you can customize them to include only what you like! They are inexpensive too!!

Here's a link to all the DLR menus (including the hotels and DTD: https://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/dining
A lot of places offer grilled chicken sandwiches, sandwiches, pasta and salads. The soup in a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf in DCA and Harbor Galley in DL is a good bet. One of my favorites is Tangaroa Terrace at the DLH. They have Hawaiian-inspired food, including shrimp tacos, flatbreads, and salmon and rice for the kids. It's easy and fun to take the Monorail from Tomorrowland and it drops you off in DTD right near the hotel. TT is counter service but has a wonderful terrace that overlooks the DLH pools, very relaxing. A lot of counter service places also have the kids Power Packs that come with string cheese, yogurt, apple slices, goldfish, and a drink.

I'd like to have an idea of some locations where we can get some healthier stuff when we go again. Last trip, we loved Bengal BBQ for heavy snacks/light lunch, also Dole Whip which made a great treat, soft pretzels and strawberries at the Thunder Ranch area (so sad that's gone away) and of course the fruit carts. Does anyone have other suggestions? Particularly in CA?

BTW, I do realize a theme park is not the place to play food cop. It's just that we don't eat much fried stuff and it doesn't really agree with any of us when we do, so it's in our best interest to save the beignets and hand-dipped corn dogs for the end of the day. :)

I know how you feel. I'm not a food manager, but if we all eat junk all day everyone is sluggish. My DD5 is also Pescetarian so she can't eat corn dogs/burgers

Some of my favorite healthier items are the salads at Pacific Wharf in DCA. They come in a bread bowl and I get the salad on the side and my husband and daughter eat the bread later. I used to love the shirmp louie but I think it's off the menu now, but their salads are all great. Jolly Holiday has a Caprese Sandwich, a lot of places have chicken sandwiches that you can ask for just grilled. Also, anywhere they have a grilled caesar salad, you can just get a grilled chicken meal! Don't forget Bengal BBQ Veggie Skewers. Surprisingly the pasta isn't greasy at Tomorrowland Terrace and you can ask them to prepare one fresh and they will. My DD loves their spaghetti.

At any TS they should all have a grilled chicken or grilled salmon and I ask for them not to use any butter in cooking it. Instead of a mashed potato I get double veggies for the side.

For snacks, I'm at a loss. We bring our own and my DD gets ice cream. I like churros but can't really finish one so we get churro bites at Cozy Cone so we can share (they have pretzel bites too). I also like the flavored popcorns at Cozy Cone. They're not all buttery and have a lot of flavor.

Offsite - Trader Sam's Ahi Tuna is just amazing! Enjoy!!

My DD5 is also Pescetarian so she can't eat corn dogs/burgers
So defiantly greasy. ..but my dd is vegetarian ..corn dog castle does corn battered cheese sticks ...small heart attack on a stick but it let's her share a meal with the meat eaters.

I don't have actual suggestions but honestly I found the opposite - I found DLR was a place where most places had great healthy options - not every CS place was burgers and fries like you might think - so I don't think you will have a problem but I know you will get lots of great suggestions from others.

I agree. It’s not too hard to find non fried food. There are a lot of healthier options in the parks. Salads and soups of course, but other choices too. We LOVE Rancho Zocalo, which is basic Mexican fare, located in Frontierland. There is also a Mexican place on the Wharf. We’re also big fans of the Wharf Café bread bowls with soup. It’s not the healthiest food ever, but way better choices than burgers and fries.

They also have Mexican food near BTMR that's really good
Rancho Zocalo is a favorite of ours.

Rancho del Zocalo is a great option in DL. The plates are big and can be easily split between two people if they're not huge eaters. Jolly Holiday bakery is another good one with some nice sandwiches. I find DCA actually has more options. The wharf has Chinese, Mexican, soup, etc. There is also a Mediterranean place and a pasta place at the pier.

Rancho del Zocalo has a great rotisserie chicken platter with all the fixings, along with rice and beans. They also have salads.

The fruit cart on Main Street is a great option.

In Adventureland there's a kiosk / shop where you can get fresh fruit that is delicious.

And I second Pizza Port (salads and pasta if you don't care for pizza).

I agree, for healthy theme park options DL is tops. Plenty of grilled options, salads, and fresh fruits throughout the parks. By the foods you're describing in your post (corndogs, pretzels, etc) it sounds like you've been mainly to the carts. You need to look at quick service locations. Most places have "Mickey Check" meals for kids with healthier options. For example, French Market has chicken and rice. If you feel like a meal is too much for one person share it with the kids, or have the kids share it. DD and I sometimes share a meal.

You can view complete menus and prices at the DL website so you could plan out your meals ahead of time.

DL is also fine with you bringing in your own food, so if nothing works for you on the menus you could pack your own lunch. We usually eat meals in the parks but pack in all of our snacks.

I've never had a problem finding healthier options. In DCA, for healthier options, we like Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta (the salads are pretty good), Cocina Cucamonga, Fairfax Market and Fillmore's Taste-In for snacks, and Pacific Wharf Cafe for sandwiches. At DL, we do Harbour Galley, Hungry Bear, Jolly Holiday, Rancho del Zocalo, French Market, and Pizza Port (for salads or pasta). It's not Whole Foods/Sprouts level of healthy, but it's very good food and typically not drenched in grease.

I love Paradise Garden Grill at DCA for a nice not too heavy lunch. They do great salads and also kebabs with a cucumber salad, rice pilaf and pita bread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter