Help me with men's suits and ties please

YAY:cheer2: So things are lining up for us, our 2 kids are supposed to go to a school dance tonight AND DH gave a nod to the Banks brand AND both Brooks Brothers and Banks are in the Promenade shops 15 minutes away so it looks like we might be able to make some headway tonight. Things are looking up.

I'm still dreading the whole tie business though but I think I have some time for that. If I can learn how to post digital pictures maybe I'll come back and post what I find so you guys can tell me if they are :jester: or :smooth: I soooo don't have any confidence with ties.

YAY:cheer2: So things are lining up for us, our 2 kids are supposed to go to a school dance tonight AND DH gave a nod to the Banks brand AND both Brooks Brothers and Banks are in the Promenade shops 15 minutes away so it looks like we might be able to make some headway tonight. Things are looking up.

I'm still dreading the whole tie business though but I think I have some time for that. If I can learn how to post digital pictures maybe I'll come back and post what I find so you guys can tell me if they are :jester: or :smooth: I soooo don't have any confidence with ties.

We have shopped J.A Banks several times, they always hold our hands LOL and pretty much pick out everything . They never steer us wrong. I would image at BB it is the same thing. Don't stress over the ties : )

I've been retired for over five years, but I always found traditional and tasteful will work in just about any business situation. Trendy might work in some places, but only for as long as the trend lasts, which is usually only a year or so.

I think LLBean monograms shirts too. I will tell you that my DH has never had a monogrammed shirt in his life and he's done just fine in the business world without it.

You might try shopping around abit too and not thinking you "have to" go to BB to get suits. BB can be expensive...beautiful qualtiy but he's not going to be digging a ditch in his suit so average to good quality will work just as well, unless you have tons of disposable income.

All of those monogrammed attorneys probably shop at Land's End -- they really push the monogramming. ;)

The real reason for monogramming shirts is so that they do not go astray when they are sent to be laundered. If you are not planning to send them out (we don't), then there is no real need for monogramming. DH says that about 50% of attorneys that he knows do it, mostly the divorced ones and the confirmed bachelors, because they are the most likely to have their shirts laundered rather than do them at home.

If you do go with monogrammed cuffs, the best way to do it is to have the monogram done the same color as the shirt; less pretentious than doing it in black or navy.

PS: Most of the younger men that I know do not shop at Brooks' too often; it's known as the bastion of the conservative interview suit.
Quite frankly, BB has a reputation for dressing older men (and for being overpriced.) The standard BB cut is old-fashioned: two button, center-vent, notched lapels. Their shirts are very big through the torso -- even the slim cuts are a bit blousey. (FWIW, DH loves single-breasted coats with peaked lapels; he has big shoulders anyway, and those peaks make him look more buff than he really is; they really add to the impression of inverted triangle shape.)

another lawyer here.

I have done the Brooks Brothers thing and the Jos. A. bank thing. I prefer the Jos. A. bank.

Brooks will run you 1000-1500 (at least that is what it was several years ago) for a decent two piece suit. They look good and feel good, but, they last no longer than Jos. A. Bank.

Jos. A. bank has a wide variety of price levels. I think there better suits are about 800-1000. However, on sales, you can get two for one deals. You get two suits for the price of one Brooks. Instead of 3 or 4 brooks suits, you have 6-8 Jos A Banks suits. Having more in the closet lessens wear and tear, lessens the times they are cleaned, and helps them last longer.

I prefer cuffs on the pants, and, closed vent. If your dh wears braces, have them reinforce the buttons, wherever you get the suit from, as not doing so will cause the inner lining, where the button is attached to eventually pull up and show itself slightly above the beltline of the pant.

I really really like the Jos A Bank dress shirts. They have an extra button that other makes do not have. The button is near the bottom of the shirt, and keeps the shirt tails from seperating in front. It keeps the shirt looking cleaner when it is on, and when sitting standing a lot.

Re: ties, go conservative. The loud tie phase is gone. Solid, pasleys, etc. are always a good bet. Stripes are always around, and they may be making a bit of a come back, but not sure.

colors, maroon goes with everything. Need some light blue and dark blues. Need some reds or off reds. Maybe a silver if you have a black suit, especially with pinstripes.

Shoes, don't know. I used to wear floresheim's way back when. But, for years, i have only worn boots.

OP-may I suggest your DH invest in a navy blue blazer and grey trousers? It is a classic look, a little bit less formal (or stuffy) than a suit, and is very versatile.

My favoured suit of choice is a wishbone grey two button jacket and trousers, black shine shoes, a pink shirt with white collar and cuffs, a patterned but subtle pink tie and when chilly, a black overcoat. Also cufflinks - they can make the difference between smart and grubby.

Apparently what is "in" now are grey jackets with dark pants, colored shirts and similarly colored ties.

Has replaced the navy jacket an khaki look.

Just spent a lot of time shopping for suits ect with a friend.

DH wears a suit about once a month, but needs decent pants/shirt/tie every day. He's always had good luck with Jos. A. Banks. Their sales staff is very knowledgeable about how a suit should fit and look, and their prices (and sales) make this a less financially-painful experience. When DH made the swap from dockers/sport shirts/pull overs to a more professional, formal look, one thing we never thought about was tee/undershirts. These, too, have specific qualities, styles, and fits, and will effect how even the most expensive, best cut shirt fits. Never would have thought about this if it hadn't been for the guys at Jos. A. Banks! We don't have a JAB in our area, but it's worth the 120 mile (each way) drive to go down to Portland, do DH's shopping, have a nice dinner, and drive back.

BTW, this has been a great thread! I have learned a LOT about mens' clothing... and have been reading aloud to DH as he's been dressing for work (had no clue about the 3 buttoning thing). I, of course, am enjoying school vacation week as I languish in bed with my laptop! :cool1:

I have no idea how to put men's clothing together either. I do know that when we stopped by Dillard's yesterday to look at suits, they told my DH that they no longer carry 3-button jackets. I don't know if those aren't in fashion any more or what. :confused3

JosABanks is always having a sale, right now they are having a huge clearance sale. I've bought wonderful lined, Italian wool pants on clearance for DH for less than $50. I have everything hemmed locally (DH is tall and very thin). Be sure and check the website for the correct rise in the pants...DH actually wears a short rise (he's 6'3'--most of his height is in his legs).
Lands End has a variety of cuts in their shirts, and they go on clearance with some regularity. Be sure and check the "on the counter" section. Once you know what size to wear you can just check for sales.
Don't forget good socks. Dh is horrible about socks...I just throw out the worn ones when I do the laundry. And hankies...I replace those with some regularity, too.

Oops, forgot the ties, Macys seems to have them on sale often, or TJMaxx, Loehmanns, and Marshalls.

My mom's motto was always, mix and match.

Get a couple of suits, with the help of the salesmen, shirts and ties that will mix and match. Dark suits to start off with. White and light blue shirts mix well. You don't to do a tan or a maroon shirts that can't mix. Then work your way to another suit whenever you can. My hubby got one good suit on sale that will look beautiful and last longer (Macy/Nordy, can't remember) and another one. Built up his suit wardrobe with watching the sales. I think one time we hit the Mens Warehouse sale.

I'd spend more money on the shoes. Expensive ones last longer. They pull a suit together. Make sure the shoe will go with both suits. Black is always good. Most men cross their legs - well, you know how, and their shoes & socks show. Don't want any holes in the souls or socks ...lol, it happened to my hubby once. Both of those - at separate times. :rolleyes1

I'd buy the ties at Macys. They have great sales and are beautiful! And you don't need many. Get a couple good ones for big meetings and others for every day.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

pixiedust:

DH wears suits everyday, he is in sales.

He buys a lot from JosABanks. They help a lot.

He also looks to the news anchors for fashion tips. They are pretty conservative but will show trends in ties. He says to always check what Shepard Smith on FoxNews has on to know what ties are in. Although Shep has had a few suits that were a little out there;)

You could always venture down to King of Prussia, that mall has everything, and many shops to help you match things up.

DH does go through ties and pants a lot. The pants I get bc he is in and out of his card sitting, not sure why the ties look so beat up though

DH does go through ties and pants a lot. The pants I get bc he is in and out of his card sitting, not sure why the ties look so beat up though

Probably the same reason. Friction from a seat belt is hell on silk ties.

Ties: best bet and deal on ties is a Brooks Brother Outlet store. Consumer Reports did a story on outlets vs. reg stores and for ties the Brooks Brother outlet came up on top with 100% silk ties. Plus the prices can't be beat, especially if you hit a holiday sale.

Slacks: do you have a Nordstrom there? They sell some wonderful Italien wool slacks in the men's dept. My dh has several in different colors. As a consultant they have carried him to corporate offices in all major US cities and always fit in well. Great if your dh doesn't wear/need to wear a full suit every day too.

Shirts: Brooks Brother Slim Fit are the only ones my dh can wear as he is slender. Ymmv. But if you need a less bulky shirt this one is the best.

Shoes matter! Allen Edmonds are the standard for conservative business wear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter