Help me trick my new ride in Disney style!

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by FortForever, Aug 10, 2017.

1. FortForever

FortForever Disney since Day 1

Hi all, hopefully a fun post here!

After several years of casually looking to buy my own ECV, I finally found one I could afford. It's an old, heavy dinosaur that came with some problems, but got it talked down to $300, so I couldn't resist.

As soon as I got it home, I was able to take it apart and fix two of the three problems it had. Got the brakes working properly (previous owner thought it had to stay on free roll, but was needed some lube and persuasion.) Also, whatever was supposed to hold up the shroud was not working, so the tires rubbed. Took me about five minutes to fix that. It has two brand new batteries and a new charger. The people told me the price I purchased for just covered those purchases for them.

So, I washed it up and removed all the decals. Now, I'm going to paint it metallic red, add some kind of basket, and want to add decals or other accessories to make it look like a real Disney-mobile! Please share any ideas you have, or better yet, photos of what you have done. I need some inspiration.

Thanks! party:

Resized_20170810_215037.jpeg Resized_20170810_215055.jpeg

2. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

Wow! It already looks pretty dang good for a pre-owned unit! :) Go you!!!

Well, my personal favorite thing to do is undercarriage lighting. Yep, I'm a rolling Main Street Electrical Parade float - and it was actually pretty simple to do.

I went to Amazon.com, and got some "LED Bias lights" - the kind that have a controller built in-line, so that you can change the setting easily. These are made to plug into a USB port on the back of your average flat-panel TV, and give a soft "glow" behind the TV. (It's the same concept as the old "TV Lights" that our grandmas' had on top of their console TV sets back in the 60's LOL) I applied that LED strip to the undercarriage of my scooter, and then found a little spot to stash a rechargeable battery pack. (You can see where this is going from here, right?) I set the lights so that they cycle through all 18 colors slowly, and I can't go more than a few feet after dark at WDW without someone commenting, giving me a thumbs up, or a big smile! The CM's all love it! Here's a link to the style I used: USB LED TV Backlight and I just use one of the Fuel Rods I already have to power the lights. One tip: I didn't use the pre-applied adhesive backing, because I knew that my undercarriage might get wet - and the included 3M adhesive backing wasn't very strong. Initially, I used zip ties to hold them on, until I was sure that I liked them. After much discussion at our house, my DH used a good quality clear silicone adhesive (I think he got it at Lowes) and made sure there was a good "seal" between the backside of the light and the surface of the undercarriage.

Wow. That feels a lot more intense than I think it actually was! LOL

I know you have probably heard me talk about this before, but I always try to be super careful with where I have lighting - and I try to avoid bright lights that will shine right into the strollers of the littlest Guests; they are even closer to the ground than we are, and I don't want to blind them. Additionally, I try not to have any flashing lights that might cause seizures or discomfort to any other Guest; I don't want to be the person who ruins someone else's fun at WDW.

You have such a great blank canvas to work with - and I LOVE the custom paint job idea!

What are you going to name your mighty steed? ;)

Resources: (you probably have found these already, but here they are anyway LOL)

Scooter Parts & Accessories: Scooter Batteries, Scooter Chargers, & More : Monster Scooter Parts

ElectricScooterParts.com - Visit the Electric Scooter Parts store.

Mobility Scooter Accessories - Amazon.com Official Site‎

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. FortForever

I am totally going to look into the under lighting! I just adore that idea!

Since I have no existing lights, I was looking at some and realized that the headlight type ones may shine right at kid-level eyes, so I know what you mean. I had not thought about the flashing, but love that you mentioned it! I will avoid that now.

I don't have a name for her yet. I'll have to think of one. I was thinking of some Disney decals after the paint, but haven't found any that I'm in love with yet. Going to paint this weekend and then work on the lighting.

Also looking for some basket or bag ideas since it didn't come with one. It looks much better now than when I picked it up, but still a very heavy, old dinosaur. These are not even made anymore. But, it's mine and I'm excited about personalizing it! :earsgirl: And, by personalizing it, I mean Disneyfying it.

5. BillSears

BillSears DIS Veteran

You could decorate it like one of the new Minnie Vans.

mamabunny and FortForever like this.
  6. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Earning My Ears

Hi, Try a pintrest search. Sometimes you have to scroll through a bunch of ideas to find yours. People are so creative it blows my mind. A pinch of this and a smattering of that and TA-DA your very own custom ride. Have fun!

FortForever likes this.
  7. FortForever

Oh, Pinterest! I didn't even think of that for this. I go there for just about everything else. I will look later today.

Definitely doing the undercarriage lighting suggested by mamabunny! I've been looking at it on Amazon.

I agree that it blows my mind how creative some people are. I don't have a creative bone in my body, so have to rely on the ideas of others. Can't wait to do this!

8. serenitynow

serenitynow DIS Veteran

I just got a new to me scooter in blue. I've been stumped on how to spiff her up, so I am going to follow this thread!

FortForever likes this.
  9. serenitynow

serenitynow DIS Veteran

I think some bicycle handlebar streamers would look great on your type of tiller.

mamabunny and FortForever like this.
  10. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

LOL *LOVING* @BillSears idea!!! You should *totally* do that!

Do you have a nice wicker basket you could hang on the scooter? Maybe make a liner for it from some Minnie-themed fabric; our Wal-Mart had several Disney-themed "fat quarters" (for a really good price!) when we were in the craft section last week... Remember, hot glue guns are our friends! ;)

You could even put graphics on the seat back (if the vinyl is still smooth and taut) - maybe a certain little white glove waving, and the tag line "See 'ya real soon!"

I can't wait to see what you do! :)

BillSears likes this.
  11. geek+nerd

geek+nerd DIS Veteran

I love this idea! With the bright red color, you could just add big white dots. I'm sure you could find adhesive white circles somewhere. Maybe put a big Minnie style bow on your basket or the back of your seat.

mamabunny and BillSears like this.
  12. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Earning My Ears

Well you all know this means we want pictures! pretty please.

christyd2, FortForever and mamabunny like this.
  13. christyd2

christyd2 Earning My Ears

I absolutely love these suggestions! Great steal btw for $300!

14. cobright

cobright DIS Veteran

If you want some fun customization that is kinda specific to Disney, it's possible to wire up LED lighting that syncs to the glow with the show broadcast signal. I did this to the power chair I get to work on for a friend using two RGB "halo light rings" designed to be used around the normal headlights of a car. The two rings made the ears off a Mickey on the front of her chair and they glowed just like the ears off one of those gwts Mickey ears. I also wired a dozen or so RGB accent lights all over the thing for each side. Oddly enough, it's actually less distracting that kid wearing one of those hats.

You start with disassembling one of those light up Mickey ears. I won't go into the gritty details but the tricky part is wiring up the gwts circuit to a new string of lights. There is 4 wires for each ear that need to be soldered to where the original LED goes. Find a local TV repair shop and they'll do for $50 or less. After that, it's just running wires and glueing in the lights.