• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me plan with 3 kids..

pghmom

Mouseketeer
Hi! We're not new to Disney, but in a world built for families of 4 I'm trying to figure out how to plan our trip with our new baby.

At the time of the trip, we'll be a family of 5: myself, DH, DD1 (5, 44"), DD2 (4, 42"), DS (~6m). My daughters, the oldest especially, LOVE roller coasters.

How would you book fast passes, assuming one of the parents obviously needs to stay with the baby and that we'll be doing rider/child swap. We've done this before, but only with 2 kids. Depending on seating arrangements on the rides, the girls will likely each only ride once unless we can sit parent + 2 kids.

Hollywood Studios:
  • Star Tours
  • Tower of Terror (I will not ride this, but H will take the girls if they're interested. If not, he wants to ride)
  • Rock & Roller Coaster (H & I will likely do the single rider)
  • Slinky Dog Dash
EPCOT:
  • Soarin
  • Mission Space - 40" / 44"
Animal Kingdom:
  • FOP - 44"
  • Expedition Everest - 44"
  • Na'vi - no height requirement, baby in lap
MK:
  • SDMT
  • BTMRR
  • Splash Mountain
  • Space Mountain - 44"

I think it would work the same as you previously done but you or your husband will have two kids in tow waiting. The first group (say your husband and other daughter) books the FP+ but you all arrive together, then you let the CM know your swapping, you and next child will get a pass issued by CM. It's not necessary for all 4 of you to book the FP+ to swap. You may already have known that.

How long are you staying and what days/how many days are you at each park? I would look at ranking your rides and deciding who is riding what now to the best of your abilities (losing a FP+ later when the kids decide they don't want to do a ride will be a huge waste--we've done that before and it's not fun). I will say TOT is not impossible to get if they decide they want it while you're at DHS but better to know ahead of time.

Can any of the rides listed above seat 3 together or are they all two seats next to each other?

Can any of the rides listed above seat 3 together or are they all two seats next to each other?
Star tours, tower of terror, soarin’ , mission space (you will have to do the green side), fop, splash mountain, space mountain can all sit three together.

Keep in mind in animal kingdom you will only be able to get a fast pass for fop OR Navi for each person because of the teired system.

Star tours, tower of terror, soarin’ , mission space (you will have to do the green side), fop, splash mountain, space mountain can all sit three together.

Keep in mind in animal kingdom you will only be able to get a fast pass for fop OR Navi for each person because of the teired system.

Thank you! It may just be H and my oldest for FOP. I may take the little ones on Na'vi while they do FOP. I don't think he cares to ride it again.

Does the baby use a baby sling or carrier? We went when our youngest was 6mo. We used a baby sling for him generally, and it was a Godsend at WDW. He spent more time in the sling--Dad would wear him--than he did in the stroller. It just really worked for us--when he was awake, he could look out at the world from Dad-chest high. When he needed to nap, we could just pull up the front a bit, to block his view, and he could sleep while we walked along. We were able to ride many rides with him in the sling. Note: I do NOT recommend this for thrill rides or Soarin'!!! But Peter Pan, Small World, etc. rides, it was fine.

It might be worth your while to study the rides a bit more, so you can plan your day better. I know POTC, Jungle Cruise, and Soarin', Dad could easily take both girls (or do a Rider Swap for Soarin'). Space Mountain, it's individual seats. Dumbo is tricky because they won't let under 7yo ride without an older person. I know Big Thunder, we could sit three across, but they also let my kids (maybe 8 and 5 at the time?) sit by themselves, with me alone in the next seat.

It sounds like you'll be doing more waiting around than you might otherwise--use this opportunity to have a cold drink, especially if you're nursing. TTA, and the railroad are great places to nurse or get a baby down for a nap, as are many of the shows.

Does the baby use a baby sling or carrier? We went when our youngest was 6mo. We used a baby sling for him generally, and it was a Godsend at WDW. He spent more time in the sling--Dad would wear him--than he did in the stroller. It just really worked for us--when he was awake, he could look out at the world from Dad-chest high. When he needed to nap, we could just pull up the front a bit, to block his view, and he could sleep while we walked along. We were able to ride many rides with him in the sling. Note: I do NOT recommend this for thrill rides or Soarin'!!! But Peter Pan, Small World, etc. rides, it was fine.

It might be worth your while to study the rides a bit more, so you can plan your day better. I know POTC, Jungle Cruise, and Soarin', Dad could easily take both girls (or do a Rider Swap for Soarin'). Space Mountain, it's individual seats. Dumbo is tricky because they won't let under 7yo ride without an older person. I know Big Thunder, we could sit three across, but they also let my kids (maybe 8 and 5 at the time?) sit by themselves, with me alone in the next seat.

It sounds like you'll be doing more waiting around than you might otherwise--use this opportunity to have a cold drink, especially if you're nursing. TTA, and the railroad are great places to nurse or get a baby down for a nap, as are many of the shows.

He's actually not even born yet, but going off my older two we will be utilizing a carrier. I actually took my now 3.5 year old when she was around 6 months and she did great in the ring sling. We also have a toddler tula for the older two (they both still fit under the weight limit) and they will occasionally take back-carry naps at Disney.

How is Disney with nursing? My older two HATED being covered while nursing, so even though I preferred it to be discrete they wouldn't actually eat if they had a cover on. I know we utilized the baby centers in each park and really loved the one at AK.

Are you going off your kids current heights or what height you expect them to be at? We have a 4 year old and plan to go in February and are trying to gauge that as well but my DD is only 39" currently.

We also have three kids, though younger (they'll be 18 months, 2 and 4 at the time of our trip). MOst of the advice I've gotten is that ride configurations won't be an issue with my kiddos sizes/ages. I do think I will be sitting out a fair amount (or rider swapping) with the younger 2.

We did Disneyland last year when the middle one was 11 months (I was pregnant with #3) and the Ergo was amazing. He was able to ride several rides still IN the ergo (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and others).

Are you going off your kids current heights or what height you expect them to be at? We have a 4 year old and plan to go in February and are trying to gauge that as well but my DD is only 39" currently.

We also have three kids, though younger (they'll be 18 months, 2 and 4 at the time of our trip). MOst of the advice I've gotten is that ride configurations won't be an issue with my kiddos sizes/ages. I do think I will be sitting out a fair amount (or rider swapping) with the younger 2.

We did Disneyland last year when the middle one was 11 months (I was pregnant with #3) and the Ergo was amazing. He was able to ride several rides still IN the ergo (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, and others).

I'm going off of their current heights with a little wiggle room. My 3.5 year old is 41" right now without shoes so 84% whereas my 5 year old is at 44" without shoes, so she shouldn't have any issues with the 44" rides with shoes in November.

He's actually not even born yet, but going off my older two we will be utilizing a carrier. I actually took my now 3.5 year old when she was around 6 months and she did great in the ring sling. We also have a toddler tula for the older two (they both still fit under the weight limit) and they will occasionally take back-carry naps at Disney.

How is Disney with nursing? My older two HATED being covered while nursing, so even though I preferred it to be discrete they wouldn't actually eat if they had a cover on. I know we utilized the baby centers in each park and really loved the one at AK.

I had the same problem with kids not liking a blanket for nursing. With #3, she had the charming habit of looking all around--while still attached! Ouch! You might want to practice using a blanket at home, so they're more used to the concept. I rarely used one, so the times when it would have been nice, no luck.

We used a ring sling with both our boys. Oddly, both our girls HATED any kind of sling/carrier. Go figure! So, be prepared for #3 to have a mind of his own--I hope he takes to the sling, though, because we found it so easy to use.

I can't recall any problems nursing at WDW. To be fair, though, this was kid #4, so by that point, I had zero dignity and self-respect left. Not that I would ever deliberately flash anyone, but I just didn't care if people caught a glimpse. It's fine if you're more modest than I am. The "baby" in question is now 12, and taller than I am. Kidani had communal balconies with rocking chairs, and Aunt Polly's at Tom Sawyer Island also has them--probably other places, too. Mostly, I would try to find a less-obvious bench. Luckily, he was a mellow baby--#3 was quite precocious, and at 6mo would yell, "Waa Boo!" (want, um, food) at the top of her lungs while slapping my chest. This is why I had no dignity left to spare for #4!

I had the same problem with kids not liking a blanket for nursing. With #3, she had the charming habit of looking all around--while still attached! Ouch! You might want to practice using a blanket at home, so they're more used to the concept. I rarely used one, so the times when it would have been nice, no luck.

We used a ring sling with both our boys. Oddly, both our girls HATED any kind of sling/carrier. Go figure! So, be prepared for #3 to have a mind of his own--I hope he takes to the sling, though, because we found it so easy to use.

I can't recall any problems nursing at WDW. To be fair, though, this was kid #4, so by that point, I had zero dignity and self-respect left. Not that I would ever deliberately flash anyone, but I just didn't care if people caught a glimpse. It's fine if you're more modest than I am. The "baby" in question is now 12, and taller than I am. Kidani had communal balconies with rocking chairs, and Aunt Polly's at Tom Sawyer Island also has them--probably other places, too. Mostly, I would try to find a less-obvious bench. Luckily, he was a mellow baby--#3 was quite precocious, and at 6mo would yell, "Waa Boo!" (want, um, food) at the top of her lungs while slapping my chest. This is why I had no dignity left to spare for #4!

That is too funny! I'll see how he does with the carriers and nursing and we'll figure something out!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. One other thing we did do, going with a 6mo, was not start him on solid foods until after the trip. This put more burden on me--I was really feeling like his personal cow by that point--but it meant we didn't have to deal with bibs, babyfood, and the messiness associated with learning to feed oneself. But, it's your third kid, I'm sure you'll find your footing, no problem.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. One other thing we did do, going with a 6mo, was not start him on solid foods until after the trip. This put more burden on me--I was really feeling like his personal cow by that point--but it meant we didn't have to deal with bibs, babyfood, and the messiness associated with learning to feed oneself. But, it's your third kid, I'm sure you'll find your footing, no problem.
Oh, that’s a really good point! I will keep that in mind. We did mostly baby led weaning.. in part because I didn’t want to deal with baby food

Last edited:
As far as rides, anything that the baby can go on, you can definitely sit 3 or 5 to a seat. Some thrill rides will work fine. We always do fast passes for everyone even using child swap. I have never wanted to risk not getting to ride something. We usually don't try to squeeze in a ride for the waiting kids during a child swap. If we do, it is something that has no wait at the moment. Usually we use that time to regroup, snack, people watch etc.
As for nursing, I have nursed an 11 month old and a 17 month old all over Disney. Shows are great if your baby won't be too distracted. The people mover was great. So was Ellen's energy adventure (but thats closed now). I have also gone into quick service restaurants at off times. I never used a cover. I try to be discreet bit covers never worked for any of my 3. Wrestling with a cover made me feel way more awkward and conspicuous. Whatever makes you comfortable though is fine. No one ever said anything negative ever. I never went to a baby care center but it was nice to know they were there.
And yay for baby led weaning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter