• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me plan! WDW vs DLR?

ladyelizabeth

Mouseketeer
Hi fellow DISers!

I'm planning on a Disney trip at the end of September. I'll have one week to get away. I originally was planning on going to WDW. BUT with Avengers Campus opening and just missing DL (I was last there in Dec 2015), I'm starting to think maybe I should make the trip out to Disneyland instead! I'm really torn now (because honestly, I want to do both) and I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions. A friend might join me, but since they won't know until closer to the dates, I'm going to start plannning as a solo traveler.

Any thoughts? Anyone else having similar thoughts about planning an upcoming trip?

That's always the eternal debate. DLR is great, but so is WDW. I would say though that DLR ha smore going on right now, with the return of MSEP and the nighttime spectaculars. WDW has Enchantment and HarmonioUS, but that's it. If you are interested in Avengers Campus, tehn maybe DLR will be the choice, though honestly I found WEB Slingers to be just okay. I usually find DLR to be a little more solo freiendly since a lot of locals jsut drop in - they don't look at you as weird, ha ha! Not that that matters. I am currently wanting to do WDW and it may be solo, but I was in DLR in November.

Don't overthink it - it won't be your last trip. You'll have fun no matter which one you choose. Enjoy!

My family went to DLR in February. We stayed at Disneyland Hotel. Fantastic hotel. Nice pool. Two park days with hoppers. We used Genie+ and it worked really well there. Had a great time. The only thing that wasn't great was the lack of dining options/reservation availability. But I find the QS options to be better at DLR anyway.

We went to WDW just about two weeks ago. We stayed at Fort Wilderness in our RV. We've been there many times, it is what it is. Four park days with hoppers. Genie+ is a waste and infuriating at WDW. I got food poisoning. The food was noticeable worse in both sit down and QS locations. Stuff was dirty or in disrepair. A lot of street life is still absent. Still some closed shops/experiences here and there. Folks have been complaining about spring break crowds, but I only found HS to be unbearably crowded.

If I had to choose between DLR or WDW, I'd go with DLR again. But I'm choosing to go to Universal next November and I'm skipping Disney properties altogether in 2023. My February trip will be Great Wolf Lodge. My April trip will be Florida beaches, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Gatorland zoo and every other random non-Disney tourist trap I can find.

My family went to DLR in February. We stayed at Disneyland Hotel. Fantastic hotel. Nice pool. Two park days with hoppers. We used Genie+ and it worked really well there. Had a great time. The only thing that wasn't great was the lack of dining options/reservation availability. But I find the QS options to be better at DLR anyway.

We went to WDW just about two weeks ago. We stayed at Fort Wilderness in our RV. We've been there many times, it is what it is. Four park days with hoppers. Genie+ is a waste and infuriating at WDW. I got food poisoning. The food was noticeable worse in both sit down and QS locations. Stuff was dirty or in disrepair. A lot of street life is still absent. Still some closed shops/experiences here and there. Folks have been complaining about spring break crowds, but I only found HS to be unbearably crowded.

If I had to choose between DLR or WDW, I'd go with DLR again. But I'm choosing to go to Universal next November and I'm skipping Disney properties altogether in 2023. My February trip will be Great Wolf Lodge. My April trip will be Florida beaches, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Gatorland zoo and every other random non-Disney tourist trap I can find.
I'm sorry your last WDW wasn't the best and you got food poisoning! That is the absolute worst! I definitely have thought that Genie+ would be better at DLR than WDW, considering that in my decision making as well.

That's always the eternal debate. DLR is great, but so is WDW. I would say though that DLR ha smore going on right now, with the return of MSEP and the nighttime spectaculars. WDW has Enchantment and HarmonioUS, but that's it. If you are interested in Avengers Campus, tehn maybe DLR will be the choice, though honestly I found WEB Slingers to be just okay. I usually find DLR to be a little more solo freiendly since a lot of locals jsut drop in - they don't look at you as weird, ha ha! Not that that matters. I am currently wanting to do WDW and it may be solo, but I was in DLR in November.

Don't overthink it - it won't be your last trip. You'll have fun no matter which one you choose. Enjoy!

I didn't even consider the aspect that DLR would be more solo friendly because of all the locals! But you are so right, it won't be my last disney trip. :)

Hi fellow DISers!

I'm planning on a Disney trip at the end of September. I'll have one week to get away. I originally was planning on going to WDW. BUT with Avengers Campus opening and just missing DL (I was last there in Dec 2015), I'm starting to think maybe I should make the trip out to Disneyland instead! I'm really torn now (because honestly, I want to do both) and I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions. A friend might join me, but since they won't know until closer to the dates, I'm going to start plannning as a solo traveler.

Any thoughts? Anyone else having similar thoughts about planning an upcoming trip?
Consider that WDW is having its 50th Anniversary celebration now, making it a once in a lifetime trip as opposed to the usual WDW trip. Disneyland can be done in 3 days though, giving you time to explore Southern California as well. I would compare closely your options for both, considering these two factors, and decide that way. I am personally doing both this year. I live a short flight from Orlando, so that's an easy trip for me, plus I have Disneyland tickets from a canceled trip(and a pass for Knotts Berry Farm), so plan to do my first Cali trip this year.

Where do you live? Airfare is outrageous right now so you might factor that in. Also accommodations. Those 2 things would probably make the decision for me. Weather will be much nicer in SoCal. I'm a DL local and frequent WDW visitor, both solo and with family...love them both.

Personally, I could not spend a week at DLR. I would do WDW and if you wanted something new from there, spend a day or two at Universal Orlando.

IMO Disneyland only takes 4 days to see pretty much everything, or at least everything you want to. 2 days in DL, 1 in DCA, and 1 at your favorite park or hopping. There is definitely other stuff to do in southern California, but I would research a few other things to do. Knott's, Universal Hollywood, and if you like roller coasters then Six Flags Magic Mountain are all good choices.

World obviously has plenty to do for a week, and you can even include resort days with a longer trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter