Help me find the perfect crossbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeyoreland

DIS Veteran
I feel like I've tried them all and by mid-afternoon they start to feel heavy and my shoulder is sore. I don't carry a lot so what I'm carrying really isn't heavy. I'm not sure if I'm just not using one with the right kind of strap. Anyone else have this problem and can recommend something? Not really a "theme park attraction or strategy," but I see others post about bags and shoes, so hopefully this is okay.

For me, the key is having the right width strap. I have a one inch wide strap and never have a problem with fatigue or pain (I do have some rubbing depending on the shirt. Before I retired, I carried a gun in my purse every day (not at Disney but my personal life) so add almost two pounds over what most carry. Also, being tall, I found that strap length was important. The bag needs to land squarely on my hip or the small of my back. Anything higher would annoy me. It is not always easy finding a strap that is both wide enough and long enough. The brand named bags may be cute but I have had the best luck with my off the rack Walmart bags.

Maybe I don't feel fatigued because I am so used to carrying my bag this way every day and, like I said, it used to be heaver. When I have tried to go baggless, I feel like something is missing and I spend the day patting my hip looking for my bag.

Following along..I am looking for one for my May trip. I see one on the Disney Parks Shopping App that is TAG brand and the reviews are good but I also saw a Patagonia one where the straps looked a little more sturdy. Hoping others chime in...

Go to Amazon and look at the UTG tactical messenger bag. It's a little "tactical" looking, but it has tons of pockets and a wide shoulder strap with a cushion, water bottle holder etc...
I have one that I hike with because I don't like backpacks. It's awesome. I go really minimalist at Disney now and only a small travel wallet and my MB. But once our grandkids get old enough to start coming with us, I plan to carry the UTG.

IMG_5210.jpg This is a hot topic on the Dis. A few threads in this topic at the moment.
My 2 cents: this is the bag I've used for about 5 years. I love it not a care in the world with it for me. It has an adjustable should pad that slides where you want it. Hold just enough without being bulky. It's leather and waterproof. Looks nearly new after a dozen trips to WDW.

I bought this shoulder pack just before Xmas on amazon (also works as a crossbody). Tried it in Feb (instead of my usual backpack) and it worked great! Very lightweight, holds smartphone in the (front) strap, and water bottle in the side mesh pocket. Also didn't have to constantly slip both arms in/out of the straps, as I did with the old backpack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PPY5SDU

I use a lesportsac bag. They have a few different crossbody options and the bags themselves are very lightweight. This is the bag I have and they even have a few different Disney prints. https://www.lesportsac.com/Classic_Hobo

Currently they have Bambi and Moana. I have a tinkerbell bag from a few years ago and they get different Minnie and Mickey prints from time to time as well.

My mom uses a Travelon Anti-Theft Crossbody bag. They have a few different styles and colors. Its nylon so easy to clean, she finds it lightweight and comfortable, and there are theft deterrents on it which is a bonus (slash proof, zippers can lock together and hide in a pocket, RFID blocking, etc.)

I've been liking the Lug brand bags for use in the parks lately. Carousel style is great and I also like the "hopper" style when I want a spot for a water bottle. (And the owner/designer is a big fan of the Disney parks -- she mentions it often on QVC!)

I like the Vera Bradley Hipster...(not the mini). The strap is wider, and the length is adjustable. Bonus that they come in Disney prints too.

7501055880443.jpg

I've had the Lug brand crossbody and found it lightweight, but for some reason not very wide so it seemed like my stuff was a tight fit and hard to get in and out even though I didn't think I carried that much. Also the zipper broke pretty quickly and the magnetic flap holding the water bottle part closed stopped working pretty quickly and the flapping got annoying.

I have the Travelon anti-theft crossbody and find it VERY heavy compared to the Lug. All that anti-theft stuff like the metal in the strap make it much heavier.

My go-to most of the time is this baggallini pouch which holds my smartphone, id, cc, cash, chapstick, and even my small point and shoot camera on occasion. I've had this for quite awhile and seem to keep going back to it. It doesn't hold much, but the advantage to that is I don't really feel it at all which makes it easy to carry all day. My one issue with it is that it doesn't hold a water bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E96NXLO/ref=twister_B00E96NSTQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use a lesportsac bag. They have a few different crossbody options and the bags themselves are very lightweight. This is the bag I have and they even have a few different Disney prints. https://www.lesportsac.com/Classic_Hobo

Currently they have Bambi and Moana. I have a tinkerbell bag from a few years ago and they get different Minnie and Mickey prints from time to time as well.

I'm a big lesportsac fan as well! I have several Cleo's. They're very comfortable, durable and you can even put them in the wash! I love them because they can't get ruined in the rain, either. Very light, very comfortable.

I saw another poster mention the Kavu rope sling. I second that, as well as the Patagonia atom sling. I used a cross body purse for years but it always put strain on my neck by the end of a day, regardless of what kind of strap it had or how little was in the bag. I switched to the atom sling and I hardly notice I even have a bag on. Because the bag sits much higher than a cross body purse the weight is distributed differently and I find it much more comfortable. Even when I went in January and had it loaded down with my jacket during the day it was comfortable to carry. It's easy to carry, easy to swing it around to get to your stuff and easy to swing it around and keep it on during many rides. This style of bag is now my go-to style for all theme park visits.

While I like Vera Bradley at home. I find the Lesportsac is more versatile. You don't have to worry about it getting wet and soaking through, at least not as quickly. I do like that Vera can go in the washing machine. While traveling though, I can just wipe down a Lesportsac with a Clorox wipe, or soap and water if needed. I prefer the Kylie for the parks. It holds a phone, chapstick, personal care items, coins for pressed pennies, and the like without a problem. It's slim and doesn't feel at all in the way. I've used one for many trips and never had a problem with it hurting my shoulders. We're sun up to way past sun down kind of park goers.
You can find them on the lesporsac site, amazon, or try a place like ebags. I'm sure you can find some on ebay too.

I saw another poster mention the Kavu rope sling. I second that, as well as the Patagonia atom sling. I used a cross body purse for years but it always put strain on my neck by the end of a day, regardless of what kind of strap it had or how little was in the bag. I switched to the atom sling and I hardly notice I even have a bag on. Because the bag sits much higher than a cross body purse the weight is distributed differently and I find it much more comfortable. Even when I went in January and had it loaded down with my jacket during the day it was comfortable to carry. It's easy to carry, easy to swing it around to get to your stuff and easy to swing it around and keep it on during many rides. This style of bag is now my go-to style for all theme park visits.

I use the Patagonia atom sling. I bought in 2013 specifically for a WDW trip, and it now is my go to bag for theme park, beach, water park trips and I've started using it as my purse on flights. I love it! Holds way more than you think. And it has held up exceptionally well.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/at...=luggage-messenger-bags#tile-2=&start=1&sz=24

I use a Donner from Overland Equipment. Tons of pockets and storage but still very small and lightweight. It's durable, washable, and quick drying. I had a pen blow up inside it and was able to wash out most of the ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter