Help me estimate my daily spend?

staceychev

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone - I know that this could vary wildly in different families, but I'm trying to get a sense of my daily spend for my four day trip that starts this Saturday. I want to head out to Target and buy some gift cards with my Red Card, but because I don't buy Disney merch, and won't be returning to Disney at least for several years, I don't want to have anything left over at the end. What would be a good amount of gift cards to buy?

Us: 2 adults, 2 daughters aged 16 and 11
Food: no table seating, but plan to sample some of the Food and Wine Festival, as well as adult beverages
Souvenirs: none planned - kids will buy their own

First I'd look at the menus. If you can decide what you may be eating based on what sounds good to your right now you can easily add that up.

But in general I'd count on at least $18 per person per quick service meal.
Anywhere from $6-$10 for a snack.
Food and Wine I'd count on $5-$12 per sample.
Alcoholic beverages count on $15 minimum if its a full sized drink.

I know that a lot of people see the value in buying "discounted" gift cards.
I do not. Saving 5% on a $500 gift card is $25. Yes its something but not worth it if you don't want anything left over.

Maybe if you add up what you think you want to get to eat so you have a rough estimate then buy a gift card for a bit less than that total and you may save a bit and not have anything left over and then just put a little bit on your credit card. I think that's better than over estimating and having money left over on the gift card that you will not use.

Maybe if you add up what you think you want to get to eat so you have a rough estimate then buy a gift card for a bit less than that total and you may save a bit and not have anything left over and then just put a little bit on your credit card. I think that's better than over estimating and having money left over on the gift card that you will not use.
Totally! That's what I was figuring that I'd do. Honestly, it's not the end of the world if I don't do the gift cards.

Don't buy gift cards. They are a real pain to use with mobile order.

Budget about $100 per day, with a cushion of an extra $50 per day. Those food booths add up quickly.
Thanks - that's really good to know about mobile orders. I think I'm just going to use my regular plastic.

As someone who is a fan of gift cards (particularly as I was getting up to 9% off), I would agree with others and say don't do it. For me it worked because I had a one-night room to pay (came in earlier than planned for a DVC rental) and was paying for all my food, etc (and knew I'd go back in a few months and/or I occasionally buy from ShopDisney - so it was okay if I had extra, which I didn't). That said, my style was more 1 TS (enjoy breakfast out) and 1 QS, and usually 1 snack. I bought a couple of souvenirs but I did it using my Disney Visa Debit, where the 10% was better than the 5-9 of the gift card. That said, my general estimate/spending was:

Day 1 - Epcot (Space 220 Lounge, 2 F&W purchases, Regal Eagle kids meal) - 80
Day 2 - DHS (3 snacks, no meal, no extras) - 18 (I also ended up renting a wheelchair, which wouldn't really add up for you all)
Day 3 - DAK during day and MK for Boo Bash (Rainforest Cafe and Yak and Yeti, both 0 via Landry's Select Rewards, 1 soda at DAK, 0 extra at MK as I used the included drinks, etc) - 4.50

102.50 for food for me (for 3 days). Since you said no souvenirs, I didn't include mine. So, if you did the Gift Card at 5% off, that would net you 5 dollars. If you end up under-spending, however, it's just a wash at best. That said, based on what you said and my experience, I'd venture 150/day for food for the four of you (~32 pp for 4 people, plus a little more for snacks/adult drinks) - making 600 a decent average. Maybe just plan to get 500 in case you share meals, aren't as hungry, etc?

(And then on the other hand, I didn't see if you planned to do things like G+/ILLS. Any extras you might get at the last second, etc. - but if you want to be as conservative as possible while still getting some discount - I'd aim for 4/500).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter