Help me decide

abby

Abby's Mom
Ok, we went to DL in April of 05 and Jan of 06, me and dd 6 and stayed at DLH. Our last trip wasn't great because we both got sick and didn't really get to enjoy. So now I find a pretty good deal for the weekend of October 20-24. My kid is out of school the 23 and 24 (Oh yeah so I'd miss parent teacher conferences). I thought I was getting Disney'd out, but find myself wanting to go back. Also we could do MHT and my dd says halloween is her favorite holiday. This time we would stay off site at HOJO. Just can't decide if I should go for it or not.

JMO, but I say go for it! If you can afford to and are able to go, why not? DL is always fun. Plus like you said, it's her fav holiday. It's mine too, and I can't wait until I get to be there for Halloween. If you do, have fun!:thumbsup2

DO IT!!!! (please take into account this is coming from a mom of DD5 who will be going on her 4th trip and DS3 who will be going on his 3rd trip)

Tinkgirlbell said:
...If you can afford to and are able to go, why not?... :thumbsup2

Agreed. As long as you're having fun and not taking food off the table. ;)
Shoot, I hadn't thought of taking time off during parent teacher conference days. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I am not a bad mom if I miss Parent teacher conferences????? It is 1st grade. I just e-mailed the teacher to see if she would be willing to arrange a different time..........I'm not usually so implusive (our last trip I planned for 6 months....)
But work is nuts and mommy needs a vacation......

Bad mommy, taking your kiddie to DL, what would Mickey say??? I'm sure the teacher can let you know how things are going without you actually being there....just tell them you have a serious "mice" problem, and will have to leave the house for a few days to fix it!!!

Well you are talking to a parent who has taken her kids to Disneyland (several times), WDW (several times) and a Disney Cruise all in the past three years. It has gotten to be a refuge for fun and family time for us and we don't even bother to explain it to anyone anymore, including ourselves! Your kids are only young once. Before you know it impromptu trips are impossible given the schedules teens keep these days, so for sure go now while you can! As for missing the conference, I doubt you'll be the only one. With that time off of school for the kids, many other parents are probably planning trips as well. At least you called the teacher and talked with her about it. Many parents just blow off conferences even when they aren't out of town and don't bother to connect with the teacher to reschedule. Believe me, your teacher is probably thrilled you took the time to talk to her about this at all! And October is such a great time to go to Disneyland. Nice, still warm weather, lower crowds but still lots going on to enjoy. If you cancel think how you'll feel as you sit at work thinking you could be at Disneyland right then!

I'd go and miss parent teacher conferences. You can always talk to the teacher at another time. I think they'd rather you miss it than having DD miss school.

Hm m m this is a hard choice to make. On one hand I agree with Amy&Dan - your kids are only young once and I agree that family vacations and getting a break from "real life" is necessary. If you are missing the conference and the teacher is able to reschedule that is fine. But if you are taking your child out of school (and it appears you might be taking her out on Friday the 20th - but that is not clear in your OP) that is a different story. That is sending the message that school is not important when compared to vacations or DL - and that may not be the message you want to give to your children.

ANd . . . if you asking the teacher to reschedule a conference that she would now have to do on her own time (intead of the paid time set aside by the school for this purpose) - you are expecting a lot for your convenience. As a teacher myself - it gets a little frustrating when students (or parents) think we must be available to them 24/7. As a teacher it is frustrating when students take time off for things like vacations during the school year and then expect compensation and/or alternative assignments so their grade won't suffer (they do not seem to realize[or care] that this makes additional unplanned work for the teacher). The school schedule is given out well in advance - as is the time off schedule.

School is your child's "job" and IMO should be treated as if it is a very important job that will impact their life long career. Yes, your child is in first grade - but attitudes about education start early - and by treating educaiton casually we are sending a dangerous message. (And I am making general statements here)

As a parent, I see your point. As a teacher I disagree with your vacation during the school year.

I agree, if you are willing to skip the confrences and you can afford to go, then I say why not! You may kick yourself later. At least you know this will be money well spent. Especially if your taking your child who loves the halloween season.

Regarding what Minnietoo said, if your child is doing all right in school then one conference and one day off are not going to kill them. Going in Oct. is one of the best times of the year. Crowds are low and the parks look great. If my parents had never taken me out of school for a trip, I probably would not have had as great a childhood that I had.

disneyfansmandl said:
Regarding what Minnietoo said, if your child is doing all right in school then one conference and one day off are not going to kill them. Going in Oct. is one of the best times of the year. Crowds are low and the parks look great. If my parents had never taken me out of school for a trip, I probably would not have had as great a childhood that I had.

No one said it would kill them - nor did I even say it would imipact their grade. Read my post again - I responded from a teacher perspective of the impact on the teacher's time and the message you send a child when you pull them out of school during the school year.

go and have fun! when i was little my mom would just decide to skip work for a day or two and take me out of school and just head to disneyland (this is when i lived in san diego). back then my mom would give me a choice of whether to go to school or stay home. i usually chose to go to school, but once in a while i'd want to stay with her. i never had any problems with anything school related (and whenever we'd go my mom would at least let my teacher know what we were up to) and got good grades and such.

but it's so much fun in october. have fun!

Sorry , I take my boys out once a year to go to DL.......and never regreted it! It is so much nicer crowd and weather wise. If the boys were struggling at school , I would not do it but every one knows thier own child best. Every year we would go at Haloween time and have switched to May so we can use the pool , you are going to have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter