Help me decide whether a Wii is worth it for weight loss & fitness?

gk90

Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!
So I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs and DH really needs to lose at least 20 lbs--not just for looks but for health reasons too, has a family history of heart disease and diabetes. We used to have cheap memberships at the Bally's near us, less than $99/yr but the gym closed and DH was only going there once a month anyway :mad:

I've been wondering about getting a Wii ever since DS asked for an XBox and I looked it up and saw that the games looked too violent for my taste, specially for a 9 yr old. The Wii looks more family friendly and DH and I could use it for fitness too so I've been pricing it, looking at the different games and thinking that if we used the games like Gold's Gym and/or Wii Active that don't need the balance board, those games are just $15 or $ 45 on Amazon vs $100 for the Wii Fit Plus bundle.

So today I was in Costco and saw the very last new Wii bundle (in black) for $195 and just couldn't resist. Maybe having it will motivate me to put some of the stuff in my attic on eBay...

I'm not opening it yet, though, so that I can return it if enough people tell me it's not worth it...I've already found articles that say it doesnt help that much with weight loss. Any ideas would be welcome!

There are better fitness games than Wii Fit - the EA Active and EA Active More Workouts will each give you more cardio. Wii Fit is pretty low key. You could start there and work your way up, but it is not a long term solution as you will quickly "master" it physically.

Very low key. You'd do just as well jogging and stretching on your own. I know ours hasn't been used in over a year! Very easy workout and it does progress some but not a lot. There are better things you can get for the same price especially if you don't already have a Wii.

If the main use for the Wii is fitness, I'd say return it. DH bought a Wii the first day it came out, he's a video game junkie. I bought a Wii Fit for my birthday last year thinking it would help get me active. There's really no cardio on it at all, and that's what you need for weight loss. They have very very simple step aerobics and jogging in place. There are some good things for toning, yoga, etc. I got bored very quickly. Now we only use the balance board for a scale. You'd be better off to return it, buy yourselves some good running shoes and hit the pavement.

My motivation is the Disney Half Marathon. I started really slow, training for the Princess Half. Then had an emergency appendectomy and had to stop running a month before the race. So now I'm fighting to get my butt in gear and get active again. It's really hard, I know. The Wii never enters my mind when it comes to fitness, you just don't get a good workout like running.

You could also try looking for a used treadmill on craigslist. Good luck!!

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I love the Wii, just not for fitness. If you decide to keep it for your DS, try Mario Kart. Very family friendly and tons of fun!

I don't think you'll be happy with the results if you rely on the Wii for your sole fitness and weight loss solution. That said, games like golds gym, my fitness coach, biggest loser, dance dance revolution and Wii active can be good workouts. Like many other fitness things it's what you put into it that matters. If you just "play" and do everything on easy for a short period of time, it won't help. But if you do the exercises on the hardest setting you can safely stand and you do it for an hour, you'll see at least some results.

I have all the games mentioned above, plus a few more. I really enjoy using the fitness aspect of my Wii. For me, it's more for days when I can't go outside and run, or when I'm not feeling up to something really strenuous but I know I should still get active. It's also a good way to bring a little more activity into my daily life b/c it's fun and I want to do it. I sometimes Wii even on days when I have a run, just for giggles.

I'm a walker/runner who does marathons and half marathons so certainly the Wii isn't all of my fitness work. But it is a fun, light, easy way to get in a light workout while having some fun. If you do the Wii in addition to walking, biking, running, or some aerobic DVD's you should see results. I just wouldn't rely on it as your only fitness option.

Last year I used my EA Active 3 times a week and did Weight Watchers and I lost 17 pounds in about 2 months. Then I got sick and gained it back. I hate having asthma. I definitely think it's worth it. I have regular games that are just as much of a workout as any of the fitness games. It's great.

I use my wii fit plus, my ea active, and my treadmill and lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. To bad I stopped using it again and gained most of it back.

If you use it, it works. I never wanted any game things in my home for fear my boys turning into drones. First, the Wii keeps them moving, although for DS7 he hops around using my sisters PS3 too! Even with the regular games or like sports resort, you are moving around. As DH said, we're moving more than sitting on our butts watching tv :happytv:. But I did get the Wii because I wanted the Fit. The Fit Plus is ten times better since you can make a routine and it goes through it instead of having to stop and choose your next thing, but the yoga is more of a work out than people think... as is the stepping. I HATE sweating, therefore HATE exercising. You don't have to have cardio to lose weight. Combined with better eating (which ANY exercise program will say that) you will lose weight. I did this along with Weight Watchers (loosely), from Sept last year till now I've lost 25 lbs. :banana: I'm very happy. I was just shy of my goal weight, which was probably a bit too much anyway, and it's been 2 months and I'm still the same. I don't use my Wii Fit as much right now, allergies keep me so tired, but I'm not gaining weight back.
I think it was the best $300 ever spent for my health and I'd do it again any day.

KEEP IT!!!! I have Wii fit plus and dancing,and love it! it's family friendly, we can all play games together and taking turns,and I can use it to stretch,be active,and work up a dancing sweat whenever I want!
The dance game can really work up a sweat,and the cycling and running wear me out,usually I walk 2-3 miles daily,but the wii gets me sweating,and it sure beats sitting on my butt instead..... for $200 you can have a workout whenever you want,totally worth it. Will you be an olympian? nope- but you will be active!

I LOVED my WiiFit till it broke, and really want to get a new one because I miss it so much. I lost 25 pounds on it in about 6 months. I did it an hour a day at least Monday thru Friday. We had Wii anyway but now that I know I think I would buy the Wii just for the WiiFit, I really like it!

ETA- I would do 30 minutes of Super Hula Hoop and 30 minutes of Advanced Boxing.

I do not like it for the fitness aspect. It is not really much of a work out IMO. To give you an idea when I use my wii I barely break a sweat if I do at all versus my treadmill where I dont have any problem. The treadmill I got used for 75 bucks too. Is it fun? Yeah so I guess it could help get you motivated but only for working out I would say no.

Keep it. The Wii Fit is a good workout tool. You can do more of the intensive workout items plus tougher yoga to get in a near-cardio workout.

For more aerobic workout, EA Active is a great addition to the Wii.

Good luck with your fitness improvement and weight loss.

I'd go with the EA Wii Active. It really gets the heart going. You can set it on easy, med, or hard. Medium really gets you working hard. I do the 30 day challenge. It sets up a schedule of exercise. Each day you do mainly upper body, lower, or a combination. I've lost 20 pounds since christmas.

I'm with the others that say get the EA Active. Without doing anything else I lost 11lbs using it. Once I started counting calories and doing a variety of fitness games (EA Active, More Workouts, Biggest Loser, Gold's Gym) I am down 31lbs and steadily losing. I now use them for 'light' work outs in between hitting the elliptical and Jillian Micheals. Sometimes I'll do two workouts in a row.

For me the Wii is a lifesaver because hauling two little ones to the gym is not an easy task and 8 out of 10 times I'd skip rather then go through all the prep to take them just to get my hour in. The Wii is designed to get people moving when they otherwise wouldn't have. It wasn't designed for hardcore, devoted fitness buffs but more for the average person who isn't getting any movement in their lives. If you are not a regular exerciser then this will help you get motivated to do other things.

I have not lost any weight on it but I love my Wii Fit. We got our Wii a few years ago for Christmas, that tax season I got the Wii Fit, when the Plus was added I got that too and love it!!!! We don't have a ton of games for it but we do have the Just Dance and man that works up a sweat in no time!!! I love using the Fit to track my progress but just doing the Fit did not help me lose weight, it did help me to tone up and work on my balance but to do a good workout that helps lose weight and tone you FAST I do the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred. That is super effective.....so if you will use the Wii then keep it, my BFF has the EA sports game and she loves it.

I've been doing wii ea more active since December and it is definitely a work-out plus there are 3 fit levels. I had some tighter fit bands that I use as well. I definitely say it helps along with my calorie counting and treadmill.

Thanks everyone, I showed DH a couple of Youtube previews for EA Active and Gold's Gym. He really liked the EA active and I found it on ebay for $31.50 including shipping :banana: The kids are excited about having a wii and so am I--I've been looking for games at a good price and figure that I can always sell it on ebay if it turns out that we don't use it. I hope we do, though--we need something that will work for weight loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter