Help me decide on new SUV - Decision made

I have decided that the time is finally right to purchase a new SUV.

After a lot of thought I've narrowed it down to 3:

Toyota Rav4
Nissan Juke
Kia Sportage

Comments on which one to purchase would be very helpful :goodvibes

My friend really, really likes her Toyota Rav4. They do lots of hiking, biking, skiing, camping, and other outdoor adventuring. She drives about 30 miles on back roads to work, and it handles well in winter. We were talking cars the other day because my '97 Chevy Malibu probably needs replacing in a year or two. We'd like a small SUV because we do a lot of traveling and volunteer work and need cargo room. Hence her recommendation of the Rav 4.

I have a 2008 Rav4 and I love it. Handles great in the snow, fun to drive, tons of cargo space. I'm very happy with it.

I know it's not on your list, but I love my Jeep Liberty. I'm almost at 160,000 miles and it's still going strong.

I just got a Rav 4 a couple of months ago, and we've been very pleased with it. It is very comfy, and lots of cargo space. We just took a trip to Disney in it and it held all our stuff for 4 and we were able to get the doors shut! I am averaging about 25 mpg driving to work--mix of city and suburban driving. Can't help with the snow driving but it handles well in rain.

My DSisIL had a Rav 4 and love dit. She got a company so she sold it to her friend. Now her friend loves it!;)

I've also got the Rav4 Limited. Really like it and it's a record. I've kept it over 2 years!

I have a friend who had a Rav 4 and loved it... until she got rearended. The entire back of the car crumpled. The spare tire (on the tail gate) was in the back seat.

All are good, I'd look closely at the Ford Escape too.

Sportage is about $4,000 cheaper than the Toyota but smaller,, the Juke $3,000 cheaper but smaller, and the Escape $1,000 cheaper and about the same size.

I have a friend who had a Rav 4 and loved it... until she got rearended. The entire back of the car crumpled. The spare tire (on the tail gate) was in the back seat.

:scared1: I hope your friend is alright.

Lots of love for the Rav - my original choice but hard to find around here used - trying to stay under 20k

Concerned about resale value and maintain issues on the Kia - anyone with experience on these :confused3

Liberty - I dont like the boxy style of the newer ones and no older ones for sale here without a boat load of miles

Juke - 2011 new product so I'd be buying my first new car ever. Cons it's brand new so we wonder about potential unknown problems

I drive a compact car and want a small SUV so smaller size is a pluss for me. Only mandatory requirement I have is AWD or 4x4. Any suggestions comment would be great :goodvibes

Yikes that had to be scary :scared1: hope she is okay :wizard:

I got a Nissan Juke about 7 weeks ago and when it is just me, I love driving it. It handles really well and I like the drive mode options for normal, sport or economy driving. But, and this is a big one.... it's just too small for my family. My 7 year old is fine in the back seat, but my 11 year old was cramped when we took it 2 1/2 hours to Disney over Thanksgiving. If you put a couple of folding chairs (in a bag) in the back there is no room for a cooler or backpack. Luggage for 5 days at Disney was a challenge.
I'm not sure what your needs are, but think about it before getting the Juke. If it's just you going to and from work most of the time you'll love it, but if you drive a family around it might not be right for you. They say the Juke is a "sport crossover" but I can't think of it as an SUV.
Have you considered the Nissan Rogue? If I had it to do over that is what I would get...

I have a 2011 KIA Sportage.
I had a 2008 Sportage and was looking for a new car only because my Sportage was a 4 cyl and didn't have enough power when accelerating up hills and onto entrance ramps on I-95. Once it got up to speed it was great but I didn't like the noisy engine with acceleration.
I tested Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, 2 different Ford models, a Volkswagon, Suburu Outback and Forrester, and Kia Sportage, and Rio.
The new Sportage is totally different from the older model, and for the better. It looks more like a van than an SUV. It has so much more power even though they are all 4 cyl. now. It does have smaller windows but not anything you would notice unless you drove the older model.
I had my sportage for 2 years (bought leftover when the 2009 models came out) and I don't drive much (had 32,000 miles on car) but I got $12,000 as a trade in for my new Sportage.
I did check on Kelly Blue book and it was about $500 more than what they recommended for my car with low miles in excellent condition.
I did go to 3 different KIA dealers in CT and wound up getting an EX with all the bells and whistles for $600 less than what the dealer close to me was offering me for an LX with nothing but the basics.

:scared1: I hope your friend is alright.

Yikes that had to be scary :scared1: hope she is okay :wizard:

Thanks. She's fine, but she is really really glad she didn't have the dogs in the back end of the car at the time. Now they get to ride up in the back seat of her new car.

I have a Ford Escape and really like it. Though, it doesn't have the 3rd row, which I would really like... (but not if my kids were going to get squished in a car accident.)

We have a Rav4 and love it!!! Took it to Disney this summer and we were all comfy with all our stuff in there and it's a LONG drive from Texas!

I got a Nissan Juke about 7 weeks ago and when it is just me, I love driving it. It handles really well and I like the drive mode options for normal, sport or economy driving. But, and this is a big one.... it's just too small for my family. My 7 year old is fine in the back seat, but my 11 year old was cramped when we took it 2 1/2 hours to Disney over Thanksgiving. If you put a couple of folding chairs (in a bag) in the back there is no room for a cooler or backpack. Luggage for 5 days at Disney was a challenge.
I'm not sure what your needs are, but think about it before getting the Juke. If it's just you going to and from work most of the time you'll love it, but if you drive a family around it might not be right for you. They say the Juke is a "sport crossover" but I can't think of it as an SUV.
Have you considered the Nissan Rogue? If I had it to do over that is what I would get...

:love::love: I LOVE MY ROGUE!!! I flipped my first one last January, end over end 3 times off a 10 foot drop off the side of the road, and landed on the top. I crawled out my window. My ONLY injury was a 1/4 inch piece of glass from the window in my knee and some bumps and bruises. I totaled it. It did great in a wreck.
My new Rogue, we drove from Tennessee last May to WDW. We stayed 7 nights and had plenty of room. I think the Juke is cute, but I would take a serious look at the Rogue over the Rav4. JMO...

Thank u for an owners view on this vehicle! As it is so new I haven't found much on it yet. The size might be a good thing in my case... I prefer small vehicles and this will most of the time be used as my work car.

Mickey527 - thanks for the Kia info.... DF really prefers that i take this one off the list. At least we've narrowed it down to 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter