Help me decide, OKW or Kadan with 1 and 2 year old

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
We will be going to Disney for 3 days , then Vero, then back to Disney AKL Jambo for a week.

Party of 5 is my Daughter, Two Grandsons 1 and 2 years old, their mommy, and me. We will stay in a Studio (not enough points for larger unit) and we are traveling a long way so we want to stay a long time.

Trying to decide if OKW or AKL Kadani is a good choice.

We will be spending the first 3 days at DHS, MK and maybe one more park.
May stay at resort the first day to rest from traveling.
What would the Pro and Cons be for staying at OKW or Kadani?

Please help me decide.

Tigger1

The OKW studios will have two queen beds - that might be appreciated since there are 3 adults in your group. The OKW studios are also larger than the other DVC resort studios. AKV studios will have one queen bed and a double sleep sofa. Both studios will have one portable crib similar to a Pac 'n Play to accommodate one of the children. You will be able to request another if you like, but may have trouble fitting two into the AKV room with the sleep sofa pulled out.

If you can get a savanna view at AKV, the children will be able to see animals from your balcony. That could come in handy (to entertain the little ones and adults) while one of the party is getting ready.

I know AKV-Kidani has a very nice water play area for little people, but maybe yours are still to young for that to matter much. Not sure what KW may have in that area.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts. Have fun deciding!

Good luck

OKW studios all have 2 queen beds. I would choose that over making anyone sleep on a sleeper sofa, especially an adult. Room is a little bigger too if you need to set up the pack n play.

Have fun!!

We will likely use just one pack and play. The bedding makes no difference as it seems all mattresses cause back pain by morning for myself, I sleep better on a couch or floor. Which brings a concern that I need to walk around sometimes at night to stretch my bones. Would I want to step outside at night at OKW or Kadani?

Concerns with OKw are what if I can not get a lower floor and have to climb stairs with the boys every morning and night? With Kadani, will my room . be miles away from the lobby.

The boys love to play in water. Which pool area would they enjoy the most.
Which resort has the best 1 and 2 yr old play place.

We wll be eating at DTD on arrival day and Departing day around checkout time. OKW would have a neat boat ride back to resort. I think orginal reservation is for hospitality house, which can still be a long walk with little ones.

So many pros and cons for each. I have not stayed at Kadani, so I have no idea how the pool area is. My oldest Daughter, (not going this time) did not like Kadani due to the long hallways. She is a Jambo fan (not available).

Concerns with OKw are what if I can not get a lower floor and have to climb stairs with the boys every morning and night? With Kadani, will my room . be miles away from the lobby.

The boys love to play in water. Which pool area would they enjoy the most.
Which resort has the best 1 and 2 yr old play place.

My wife and I were on the third floor of Building 35 last year. Every time we walked up the stairs I kept thinking of our nephew and his wife who have 1-year old twin boys. Carrying tired toddlers up one of two floors -- along with the diaper bags, souvenir bags, jackets, etc -- is not a fun way to end a long day of Park hopping. Plus, you have to deal with your stroller(s). I'd much rather push the toddlers in a stroller down an air conditioned hallway -- no matter how long that hallway may be.

Kidani has a great water play area that toddlers would love. And the pool has a zero entry area so the little ones can wade in and get their feet wet. Here are some photos of the kids' play area at Kidani:

DSCN5041.jpg

DSCN5040.jpg

DSCN5046.jpg

All things considered, I'd choose AKV Kidani over OKW if you are traveling with little toddlers.

Thanks so much wdrl. The pictures are so inviting. the only positive I can see for OKW is the boat to DTD. They are not going to be able to guarantee a first floor. those steps are not fun without children.

Tough choice! In my opinion, the room at OKW would be more suitable. We had my daughter, her 2yo daughter, and her girlfriend, in a studio at Kidani and it seemed tight to me with just the two adults and a pack n play for the little one. Granted they had the pullout open all the time and did not travel light, luggage-wise, but I thought it was a little uncomfortable. With 3 adults and 2 little ones, I think it would be just too much. Whereas, the OKW rooms, even studios, are pretty spacious. Although the water play area at Kidani would be better for the little ones, you'd be able to try that out later when you stay at AKV Jambo, anyway. Just my thoughts...good luck with your decision!

I think OKW is better for one and two year old children beacause there is a sand area for them to play in at the pool. The studios are so big you could set up two pack and plays. The bathroom is big like the type you have at home with more room around the tub.

I would choose OKW. Main resaon is you are already staying at Jambo after Vero. I also like to stay at different resorts.

I've stayed at both Kidani and OKW, I preferred OKW with all three children, I just thought OKW was more convenient for my family, here's several reasons why, OKW, has the 2 queen beds, loved that! More space, loved that! & Olivia's restaurant, loved that!...and the convenience to the car was great, just parked right outside our studio. We stayed in one of the elevator buildings, close to the Hospitality House (which had some of the most hospitable CMs I've ever encountered, they went over and beyond with making you feel welcome).
The pool area was just fine for the kids, they know Disney's pools can be awesome and they enjoyed this one just as much, even though I thought the themeing wasn't as extraordinary as other properties on-site. But I would imagine as a little kid looking up at a giant sandcastle would be quite fun. Also the lil kids' section with squirting dolphins seemed just the right size for a little one to fully enjoy. The Kidani pool was so large and so crowded, it made me nervous about losing the kids. Kidani's pool is also sectioned off so well & beautifully, with so much foliage it made it very hard to keep track of all my kids.
We also felt centrally located at OKW, it seemed as if we arrived to parks, other hotels, and DTD in no time when we used Disney transportation and our own vehicle, it did not seem as so during our stay at Kidani.

All that to stay I'd stay at OKW,( but my husband would stay at Kidani) either way, your at Disney so you really can't lose, have a fun, safe trip :) !!!

I think we are going to stay at OKW those first 3 days. We will be in the parks most of the time. DD misses OKW and wants to go back. DDiL has never been but thinks the stairs will not be to bad for a couple days. We will be eating at DTD several times so a boat ride will be nice. Does Saratoga have Elavators? That might also be a thought.

I would choose Kandani. We stayed at Kandani then OKW last year and our kids really liked Kandani better. The community center was a huge hit for our older boys (loved playing pool) and for our then 5 yr old. He did crafts and drew pictures. 1 & 2 yr old may be young but the staff was great and our youngest loved it. He got a wooden lizard that he drew on. They also had books to read. We did cookie decorating at Jambo house. Loved looking at animals from community room and from our room. OKW just seems dirty to me. Wouldn't want babies crawling on the floor there. The community center is also far below the level of Kandani to us. Again, not nearly as clean.

We will be going to Disney for 3 days , then Vero, then back to Disney AKL Jambo for a week.

Party of 5 is my Daughter, Two Grandsons 1 and 2 years old, their mommy, and me. We will stay in a Studio (not enough points for larger unit) and we are traveling a long way so we want to stay a long time.

Trying to decide if OKW or AKL Kadani is a good choice.

We will be spending the first 3 days at DHS, MK and maybe one more park.
May stay at resort the first day to rest from traveling.
What would the Pro and Cons be for staying at OKW or Kadani?

Please help me decide.

Tigger1
with kids it's a toss up, either resort is great w/kids
OKW has a cool kids playroom area & ping pong table by the pool and a little kid pool w/sand. the boat to dtd is fun and kids like it. okw has 2 queen beds in a studio vs a queen bed & pullout sofa. plus if you want to poolhop to ssr, their pools are very kid friendly and you can take the boat (get off at ssr instead of going to dtd)
AKV, lots of amazing animals, cool pools and slides w/ping pong pool side. great restauarants, campfires at kidani nightly w/stories. just walking around the resort is like being at a zoo and their are lots of cool kids activities every day (my kids decorated cookies at Boma, made jewerly in the kids room, etc) the kids water area is like a mini water park and there are video games etc in the kids rec room for rainy days
either way, you'll have lots to do.

I think we are going to stay at OKW those first 3 days. We will be in the parks most of the time. DD misses OKW and wants to go back. DDiL has never been but thinks the stairs will not be to bad for a couple days. We will be eating at DTD several times so a boat ride will be nice. Does Saratoga have Elavators? That might also be a thought.

hey if you have been at oKW before then you know it pluses! can you get a hH room - those are the ones near the pool, restuarants, sandy area, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter