Help me choose - just stay at Universal or Universal & cruise?

MeeskaMooskaMickey

Mouseketeer
we have holidayed at WDW in past but not seen the rest of what Florida has to offer so have made the decision NOT to go to WDW at all on our next trip! It was a tough decision but we've made it now and it will allow us more money to spend on other things. We have two children, a teen and a tween.
We've also decided that the main thing we all want to do is go to Universal and stay at Cabana Bay. So that's two definite decisions which is good going for us! We are going for 12 nights next year.
So what are your recommendations for our stay? I'm now tempted by staying half the time at Universal, the other half on a cruise (Carnival Sunshine) but my family think getting to the port would be a hassle as we are not hiring a car. They also think this would not give us enough time in Orlando. However we love cruising and have never been to the Caribbean.
The other option is to base ourselves at the Cabana Bay for the whole trip. As well as the Universal parks we could go to the shopping malls, maybe Seaworld, also perhaps do some excursions like Clearwater or Everglades. This would be cheaper than the cruise. Would we get bored here for the whole time and run out of things to do or would it be ok? Would it be easy to get excursions from here? Thanks for any advice!

Hello! I felt the need to chime in here because my family (5 of us, two teens and a tween) made the same decision as you during our last trip to Orlando. We didn't set foot in a Disney park and that was really hard! And we have no regrets at all. It was a wonderful trip. We did Universal (stayed on-site) for three days and did the parks inside-out. We thoroughly enjoyed Universal. We did the Blue Man Group show and took advantage of the mini-golf and meal deal which was great. I bought annual passes to Sea World (even though we wouldn't be returning to Orlando that year) because it reduced the cost of Discovery Cove. We popped in and out of Sea World as we pleased and visited Aquatica twice. It is really fun. The highlight of the trip, though, was Discovery Cove. It is an all inclusive day (food and alcohol) and we did the dolphin swim and the Sea Venture (walk underwater). It goes down in our family history of the 'best day ever'. With the money you aren't spending on Disney or the cruise, if you choose to make this an Orlando designated trip, you can spend on Discovery Cove. The Disney-less vacation was more laid-back than we're used to and it was such a nice change. Remember, you can pool hop at Universal. Those resort pools are a vacation in themselves!

I wonder why they feel getting to the port would be difficult, but are fine with Clearwater and the Everglades?

The port is easy. An hour on a nearly straight road and you're there. :)

I personally would be more interested in a cruise than the other non universal things in FL. I think I would do the combo of Uni (not the other FL stuff) and a cruise.

I stay two weeks at rpr each fall and never go offsite.

Depends on how you do vacations.

I do not rush or live my days by the clock.
Start my day when I wake up...

Eat when I am hungry, and don't usually plan anything in advance.
Since I have been staying onsite for years, do each vacation a tad different each time.

Have down time exploring all the hotels lobbies and grounds.
Use the water taxi, or pedicabs or walking paths.

There are 5 hotels you can check out and explore.
Water taxi only available direct from City Walk dock to all hotels except Cbay.
Busses available for all onsite hotels.

Spend partial days at City Walk during my stay, hit the outdoor live entertainment on the weekends.

I do take in a movie or mini golf meal deal once during my stay.

Take my time in the parks and watch all street entertaiment, do the rides and indoor shows.

I've done Blue Man Group three times now and will take a pass.

If you want to do offsite adventures, do a day car rental from the hotel or use uber/lynx to reach your destination
You can book a seat on the hotel bus that will take you from your onsite hotel to Sea World and spend the day there.
No costs involved for you, free transportation.

Thank you. Yes it's been a difficult decision not to do Disney as we love it but it's the right one. One aspect of Disney we didn't like was the rushing and planing ahead. Universal doesn't sound like that. Also we don't like full days in theme parks and are hoping that at Universal it will take much less time to pop back to our hotel to chill by the pool in the afternoon, and then pop back to the park in the evening. At Disney just getting back to our onsite hotel took forever.
However still concerned that our trip is 12 nights and there are other threads where posters are saying that a week is too much. Still wondering if a mini cruise would be the way to go?
In answer to bumbershoot's question we would do an organised coach excursion to Everglades etc. thats why it would be an easy option. Anyway, nice problem to have..!

we have holidayed at WDW in past but not seen the rest of what Florida has to offer so have made the decision NOT to go to WDW at all on our next trip! It was a tough decision but we've made it now and it will allow us more money to spend on other things. We have two children, a teen and a tween.
We've also decided that the main thing we all want to do is go to Universal and stay at Cabana Bay. So that's two definite decisions which is good going for us! We are going for 12 nights next year.
So what are your recommendations for our stay? I'm now tempted by staying half the time at Universal, the other half on a cruise (Carnival Sunshine) but my family think getting to the port would be a hassle as we are not hiring a car. They also think this would not give us enough time in Orlando. However we love cruising and have never been to the Caribbean.
The other option is to base ourselves at the Cabana Bay for the whole trip. As well as the Universal parks we could go to the shopping malls, maybe Seaworld, also perhaps do some excursions like Clearwater or Everglades. This would be cheaper than the cruise. Would we get bored here for the whole time and run out of things to do or would it be ok? Would it be easy to get excursions from here? Thanks for any advice!

I'm likely in minority here but 12 nights @ Universal (or WDW) is too long for me...especially since there is so much more to explore in central florida. :)

Another option but pricey is booking Discovery Cove, which includes Sea World/Aquatica passes for several days. You used to be able to add in Busch Gardens/free shuttle. If you decide upon SW, check out all the different tix options. They have a Black Friday sale that in the past offered BOGO APs and other goodies. Last year's sale not that great, fingers crossed it reverts again this year.

Have you cruised CCL in the past? We've enjoyed the Sunshine (Destiny) 4 times over the years. A nice ship but does have flow issues with the extra decks they added. If you can work in a Half Moon Cay stop, all the better :)

As for getting to the port without renting a car, you have several options. assume you'd start or end your trip with a cruise

*One day car rental, dropping @ Port Canaveral. I'm lazy, we park the car @ the port but many say the shuttle system to the offsite rental sites there are easy & quick.

*private towncar service, prices vary, check around.

*Uber to airport, then take shuttle service from MCO to port. CCL offers but many other private options that are highly rated and less expensive. You do need reservations. Google it or cruise critic has lots of information and recommendations.

Good. Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter