Help me choose! AKL, Riviera, or old faithful, POR?!

amilli12

Disney Lover!
I need help!

I'm taking my kids (12/11/6) this fall. We do long trips, 11 nights this time around. I booked this year's trip for AKL on the bounceback offer last fall for free dining. I am just a hair nervous about the solo bus stop at AKL. I have some friends staying at the Riviera right now and am rather tempted to see if it's available for our dates, the multiple modes of transportation are so appealing. I also have POR in the back of my head because we've stayed there 5 or 6 times now, my kids love it, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Any feedback about busses at AKL? Riviera?

I have only stayed at AKL once, and did not have any issues with transportation. The only thing was that I had to remind myself that it was going to take longer to get to certain parks (mainly MK), so just make sure you plan your timing accordingly!

We did AKL two summers ago for the first time and only had one day out of eight where we waited for 20 extra minutes as the app kept changing the bus arrival time. We lucked out and had a partial savanna view which was fabulous in the morning when we had our coffee. We have also stayed a few times at POR and liked it too. However, we would return to AKL for free dining, especially since you get the full dining plan, and we like doing some character dining which wouldn’t be included in the quick service dining plan that you get with free dining at POR.

We've stayed at AKL for several years. It is great for kids!! Lots of pool activities, places to see the animals, food choices. As for the busses, they have been pretty reasonable. We go in early June, and have never had a problem. One time, and I'll never forget it, we did have a snafu that was entirely my fault. We returned to the bus stop after a busy day at MK, got on the bus. Lo and behold it arrived at Animal Kingdom Park. We had gotten on the wrong bus. Just saw the words, Animal Kingdom, and didn't pay close enough attention.

Anyway, POR is nice too, also great for kids. Haven't stayed at Riviera, so can't help there. Have a wonderful trip!

We have only stayed at AKL once for two days. Went to both AK and MK. AK is super close. MK took about 20 mins. As for the bus, we only waited for a few minutes for both parks. We get standard studio with partial savanna view. The resort was gorgeous and very relaxing. Only complain is the room is a bit small. Not a big deal as there is so much to do in the resorts. DH and Mom love Boma!

I need help!

I am just a hair nervous about the solo bus stop at AKL. I have some friends staying at the Riviera right now and am rather tempted to see if it's available for our dates, the multiple modes of transportation are so appealing. I also have POR in the back of my head because we've stayed there 5 or 6 times now, my kids love it, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

We found bus service at AKL to be just fine. Think about it this way, at the end of the night, WDW can increase the number of buses running, that can't be said for the monorail. AKL is a very fun resort, easily the best value of the deluxes if you have kiddos that enjoy that sort of thing.

I haven't seen the Riviera up close but from what I have seen it looks ... nice. But like a really lower-case n, nice. Kinda bland, or not bland but just not quite Disney enough. Like if they set bedrooms up inside the California Grill. A wonderfully magical Disney restaurant but I wouldn't want to sleep there.

POR is my go-to resort. It's always a safe bet. But if you enjoy the dining plan, sometimes factoring in the cost of upgrading it, the price difference between POR and AKL is small enough to make the decision that much tougher.

I have stayed at AKL 4 times. Loved it. The bus stops are covered with benches. Cut through the gift shop as a short cut. AK bus is like a 5 minute ride. The longest bus ride is MK but it’s still around 20 to 30 minutes. Coming back from the parks, the buses stop at Kidani first then Jambo.

It’s a beautiful resort with lots of activities plus the animals. With Boma and Jiko as Table Service at Jambo and Sanaa at Kidani- all 3 are great restaurants plus the Mara is a nice QS restaurant. The close distance to AK makes it’s super easy to back to hotel after hitting AK in morning, take a nap then hit another park later in the day.

I've stayed at all three resorts and the transportation at AKL is what makes me hesitant to stay there for a long period of time. We stayed at RIV in December and the Skyliner was fantastic. Super quick trip to EP and also quite fast to DHS. For such a long trip, maybe consider a split stay? We are splitting Poly and AKL on our next trip and designing our park touring based on where we are staying each night.

I vote for AKL as first choice! I absolutely loved staying there and had no problem with the buses. But Port Orleans is nice, too, if you want to save money. My favorite areas are French Quarter and Alligator Bayou.

We've stayed at AKL a bunch, the entire distance thing is ridiculous.
1) No bus ride is further than 10 minutes to anywhere other than MK, which is about 15 to 20 minutes max.
2) The MK resorts are just as far from AK as any of the others are from MK and they are all about the same distance to EPCOT and HS.
3) Honestly, is saving 10 minutes really a deal breaker considering the parks are open for 12 hours per day? Ha Plus most of the Epcot resorts are more expensive and just not as nice IOO.
We've stayed during free dining the last 2 years and it's been great. They have the best restaurants and the resort is the nicest on property IOO when you add the new rooms, the best restaurants and a zoo.
Plus, they just remodeled the rooms, which are great.
Uber is available, so we don't fuss over the bus if we are in a hurry.

Last edited:
The only thing I don’t like about AKL is the lack of walking and running areas. I have found the buses to be very good there- better for example than Beach Club/ Boardwalk, and Contemporary.

I was considering POR as well. Which side is better? I’m worried about long walks back to room after parks though. Also is it a noisy resort when you are trying to sleep at night?

I was considering POR as well. Which side is better? I’m worried about long walks back to room after parks though. Also is it a noisy resort when you are trying to sleep at night?
French quarter would be your best bet than. Riverside is very very large and unless you book preferred you will have a decent walk. Also FQ has 1 bus stop while Riverside has 4?. We were always last stop and it kinda stunk(preferred room).

I need help!

I'm taking my kids (12/11/6) this fall. We do long trips, 11 nights this time around. I booked this year's trip for AKL on the bounceback offer last fall for free dining. I am just a hair nervous about the solo bus stop at AKL. I have some friends staying at the Riviera right now and am rather tempted to see if it's available for our dates, the multiple modes of transportation are so appealing. I also have POR in the back of my head because we've stayed there 5 or 6 times now, my kids love it, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

POR for sure. I’ve stayed at AKL, but POR is still my favorite.

AKL one bedroom villas has been a game changer for us. 2 bathrooms and a kitchen make it relaxing for 4 of us. BLT one bedroom also has 2 bathrooms. There is also a washer and dryer, so we pack a lot less. Just a thought.

We have stayed at AKL multiple times and never had an issue with buses. I think you will be fine, and i don't think you will find a better deal at Riviera. You will likely be paying a lot more. No way would I give up AKL for POR unless I really needed room in my budget and it save a significant amount.

I have stayed at POR and AKL but never Riviera. Riviera is so expensive that it's hard to justify. Perhaps staying on DVC points would be more affordable, but I doubt many owners are renting out points yet. We are going to AKL for our upcoming trip, and I was torn between AKL and POR. AKL was $675 more that POR but we aren't visiting AK this trip so I thought it would be nice to be able to see the animals and the dining is far superior at AKL. Also, I feel like AKL is Disney theming at its finest. IMO, AKL is the most impressive, exquisite lobby and the details all around the resort are impressive to say the least. POR is great, but for us on this occasion, we picked AKL. It's been 17 years since I last stayed there and my husband has never been. We are looking forward to it!

I need help!

my home base for DVC is akl jambo house and we love it. We have had only 1 trip with bus issues but we had bus issues that whole trip everywhere. It was just bad luck I swear.
My buddy stays at okw and we always time each other meeting up at the parks. I always beat him cause of all the stops okw has.
Before DVC we stayed all the time at por. We loved it. Always good bus situations but that was years ago. Totally diff park life then. Bit man we love those beniets. Lol Sorry I misspelled that.
Akl is awesome especially for a long trip. But we are bias. Bit we also bought there cause we loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter