Help! Leaving in 5 days for WDW!

Belle7

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I have been reading information on this webiste for a few weeks now and it has been so helpful!! We are leaving on January 17th and we will be there for 4 days. I am so overwhelmed. This will be the first trip for my daughter who is 5 and it has been over 11 years since I have been there. Needless to say I am having trouble figuring out what are the "must" dos and what are the "don't waste your time" attractions. Since we will not be able to do everything I want to make the most of it. Plus based on the weather forecast on the weather channel website it looks like we could get rain, which really has me bummed out. If anyone can give me some tips on what shows, rides, character meals my daughter would enjoy the most I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Well, I may be of some help since my daughter is 5 and we went in December. Alot of this depends on how brave your daughter is, and ours is pretty much a chicken.

I would suggest cindarellas breakfast, great for a little girl, but you may not have time to book it.

As for not to misses, that is kind of hard to say since that would depend on you and your child, but I will make my suggestions to what my daughter liked.

Magic Kingdom:

Small World, Buzz Lightyear, Winney the Pooh Ride, carousel of progress (she loved this), the Merry go round, tomorrowland speedway, getting her face painted at toontown, country bear jamboree, teacups

Epcot:

Spaceship Earth, Listen to the land boatride, Imagionation with figment,

MGM

Playhouse disney show, great movie ride (except for the scene from aliens, it will be scary for a little one) Beauty and the Beast show (which is covered I think)

Animal Kingdom:

The Safari, and the animal trails.

All in all, my daughter likes a bunch more things at the Magic Kingdom and she liked Epcot. I hope this helps out a little, and I hope you have a great trip.

My daughter is the same age also and on our last trip she also loved:

Magic Kingdom: Dumbo
Peter Pan
Aladin's Magic Carpet

MGM: Ariel Show
Muppet 3-D Vision

Have a great time!!!

If you are worried about rain, pack some ponchos and an extra pair of shoes for each person. Most attractions are indoors and most of the outdoor ones run even in fairly heavy rain. Lightning is the only reason that most outdoor attractions will close, and that isn't very common at all in the winter months. Be prepared, but worrying about rain is a silly thing to do (what does worrying help?)

There are so many things to see and do at WDW, that if you polled 50 people on their must-do/don't bother lists -do a search.. there are hundreds of threads like that here- you would get lots of contradicting answers. Everyone is different, and you might not agree with the answers you get.
Since you have a 5-year old, there are some attractions that you may want to do that a family with older children might completely avoid.
Some attractions that might be more enjoyable for a family with a young child include:
Magic Kingdom
~Mickey's Country House and Minnie's Country House in Mickey's Toontown Fair.
~It's a Small World
~Cinderella's Golden Carousel
~Storytime with Belle (show)
~Liberty Belle Riverboat
~The Country Bear Jamboree
~The WDW Railroad
~The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
~Share a Dream Come True Parade
~Cinderella's Surprise Celebration
~Mickey's PhilharMagic
Epcot
~The Living Seas (meet Nemo, see fish swim in a giant aquarium)
~Journey into Imagination with Figment
~Kidcot mask stations in the World Showcase
~Dragon Legend Acrobats (China)
~Miyuki (candy artist in Japan)
Disney/MGM Studios
~Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
~Voyage of the Little Mermaid
~Playhouse Disney Live
~Drawn to Animation (show featuring Mushu from Mulan)
~Animation Academy (learn to draw a Disney character)
~Muppet*Vision 3-D
~Disney Stars and MotorCars Parade
~Character Greetings with Lilo and Stitch, Toy Story Characters, and Mike and Sully (Monsters Inc.)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
~The Boneyard (playground)
~Tarzan Rocks (a bit loud, but an exciting show)
~Maharajah Jungle Trek (Nature Walk with Asian animals)
~Flights of Wonder (bird show)
~Rafiki's Planet Watch (short train ride, meet Stanley, petting zoo, small animal demonstrations, interactive exhibits)
~Kilamonjaro Safaris (a bit bumpy, can be slightly scary)
~Pangani Forest Exploration Trail (African nature walk)
~Festival of the Lion King show
~Pocahontas and her forest friends (Mom and Dad might find the training session more interesting than the show, but that's just my opinion)
~It's Tough to be a Bug (can be slightly scary)
~Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade
~There are also locations throughout the park with activities geared towards younger children, hosted by FamilyFun Magazine.

If your child is outgoing, she may enjoy pin-trading (you might too)
Pin-trading starter kits are available with a lanyard and 4 pins at a lower price than just purchasing 4 pins, and you can trade the starter pins with Cast Members all over property.
It's not a bad way to help teach social interaction, manners (please and thank-you), and decision making. I'm sure there are other threads on this topic as well.

Have fun!

The top three things that helped me plan our itinerary:
1. Tour Guide Mike Costs about 20 bucks and some folks might not like it, but I found the ability to enter info and have attractions outlined very helpful. Also liked his info on everything from strollers to room requests.

2. The Unofficial Guide This baby is FILLED with great info on attractions, restraunts etc etc etc. The writing is very entertaining, but this resource is so large that you may find it a bit daunting. However, there is a tour plan called something like "Dumbo do or die" for parents who want their trip to be ALL about the kids in your midst. (old and young ;) )

3. This site!!! So much info.

However, if I only had 4-5 days to plan I would go with Tour Guide Mike. Some folks will undoubtably disagree with me, but I feel pretty well prepared (she says in an very hopeful and foolish voice)

Good Luck!
Anne

Fantasmic at MGM is great if the weather isn't too bad. Also Peter Pan ride at MK is a real favorite. Don't try to pack too much to do or see during your trip. You'll get frazzled and miss the magic of it all. Remember there is always next year. :wave2:

I don't have a bit of advice about touring the parks with a little one, but we're leaving cold Virginia in 5 days, too, to go to WDW! Maybe we'll see you there! Have fun.

I am 25 and when I enter WDW, I feel 5 again. If Spectromagic is showing any night when you are there it is a must see!!! Please arrive early and find a curbside seat. Then send someone for munchies or a fast food dinner while you wait. To get an idea of the parade you can download the video at

www.spectromagic.com

but it is not a great as being there!!! Have a great time!!!

We'll be down from the 15th thru the 19th (soccer tournament) and it supposed to rain on Sunday. Weather should be high 60s and low 70s. Have a blast!!!

I really think it depends on your child. We were there with our extended family this past Oct. My cousins DD (5 1/2) loved things I couldn't believe. She did Mission Space and Test Track. Which I actually didn't think she'd even be big enough for. However, she was and she loved them. So I guess it will really depend on if your child is a thrill seeker or more timid. However, I personally don't think you can ever go wrong with the parades and character dining. As far as rides. I think Buzz is usually a big hit with young and old. Use FP and you should be fine. Especially since the crowds should be low You may get more accomplished than you expect. Most of all-- HAVE FUN!!!

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts..I have some really good ideas now. I have scheduled a different character meal for each day that we are there. 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella on Sat night for dinner ( I was not able to get ressies at the castle for breakfast), Dinner at the Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends on Sunday, The Princess Breakfast in Norway on Monday morning, and Chef Mickeys for dinner on Tuesday night. I figure this will give her plenty of Character interaction. Thanks again and I hope everyone that is getting ready to go has a great time!:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter