Help! I've been 'over-highlighted' and I so badly want it back to normal!!

#1 Disney Fan

DIS Veteran
Okay, help please!

I hate my hair! :sad2: I have long (past my shoulders), dark brown hair. Until my last haircut, I had never colored or highlighted my hair. The last time I had it cut, the stylist recommended a few highlights and I was up for it. She put in some subtle caramel-colored highlights, and I really liked it. The roots as they grew out still drove me nuts even though it was subtle, but nobody else could really notice.

Last night I had another haircut and she did highlights again. Problem… OMG this time I hate them! :( It was supposed to be the same (no more, no brighter), but with a few red ones mixed in on the underneath layers. I don’t actually like the red color because it doesn’t look natural, but they’re underneath and you can’t really see them, so I’m not worried about it. But the blonde! Holy cow! This time the ‘caramel’ is more bright brassy blonde, and it pretty much covers the whole surface, they’re wider, and there’s so many of them! Ack! You can already see the dark roots, it’ll be like a wall of ‘yellow’ growing out.

It’s not an awful dye job, and I’m sure it might look fine on someone else… but for me, it doesn’t suit my pale complexion, there’s way too many BRIGHT brassy blonde highlights and I really want it to just look more or less normal again. So far everyone I've seen has agreed with me, and that it was MUCH better last time.

So, I know I’m going to have to get off my complex of not wanting to have to go back to get it fixed… but I’m not sure what I should be hoping she does to fix it. I was hoping to be knowledgeable when she makes a suggestion. I’m a Google Fanatic so of course I’ve been searching, and found that you can add a rinse to tone the whole thing down, add in lowlights, etc… but I’m not sure what the best option is. I just want to hit the undo button…. and I certainly don’t want to make it worse….

Help please! :) How do I get this to look back to normal more or less, or maybe some SUBTLE highlights?? Thank you thank you thank you for any suggestions!!!!

try washing it a couple of times with dish soap (like dawn or Joy) and it should tone it down.

grinningghost said:
Any shade of "ash" should tone them down. :)

Thanks. Do you mean dye the whole thing 'ash' to tone it down... or somehow try to just apply it to the highlighted areas?

Do the toner rinse, it's a quick and easy fix. This happened to me once right before I went on vacation. I was way too blonde, so I went back to the stylist and she just did a toner rinse, and it helped out a lot. Took about 5 minutes. Only problem is that the toner doesn't last that long, but you can keep doing it until the highlights grow out. You have to be sure that your stylist isn't highlighting over old highlights. This will bleach out and permanently damage your hair. Good luck!

powellrj said:
try washing it a couple of times with dish soap (like dawn or Joy) and it should tone it down.

I think that only works if you went too dark, not too light.

To OP, this happened to me on my last highlights appt...she overboard on the highlights and chose the WRONG color. Go back and tell her its too blonde and she'll put a toner on it. It changed my platinum blonde highlights to caramel and they looked gorgeous!

ETA: It shouldn't cost you anything especially if it was her mistake.

Welcome to my world sister..

The only problem is, I don't WANT ash highlights. They look gray!

So I'm stuck with this horrible blonde until I bite the bullet and go back to my natural color.

I, too, am paralyzed with indecision. :teeth:

#1 Disney Fan said:
.....Help please! :) How do I get this to look back to normal more or less, or maybe some SUBTLE highlights?? Thank you thank you thank you for any suggestions!!!!
Lynne, Lynne, Lynne!! :magnify:

:idea: PM Buck.

Is it still cold up there?? :cold: :hyper:

I'm w/vettechick -- go back and tell her its too brassy....she'll use a professional toner to take out some of that brassiness. I've over-highlighted many times, and Clairol makes a great toner for blondes called winter wheat -- it has those ash tones that take the red/orange out. Since your hair is naturally darker, I'm not sure I would trust doing it myself -- go back to her, she should take care of it to your liking.

I had the same thing happen. Each time they touched up the roots, my hair become more blonde. I finally had to have the whole thing done with a darker color near my natural shade.

The last time I highlighted my own hair I overdid it and went too blonde for my liking (my natural color is light brownish). I bought a bottle of semipermanent color (30 or less washes) of the color that I wanted my highlights to be and did my whole head. Because it's only semi-permanent it will not lighten you "normal" hair at all, but will bring the highlights to a more manageable color. It should also "stick" to highlighted hair much longer than what the box says.

But, since you did have it done professionally, hopefully she will fix it for no extra charge.

If she's a reputable hair dresser, she will understand and be able to fix it to your liking. She knows that not everyone likes everything all the time. She needs to know that you didn't like her latest attempt, so she can get it right the next time. I have a great hairdresser. I don't complain often, but when I do, she's very happy to fix what I don't like. Good luck.

Sometimes when I get highlights, the first 3 days are scary. They look too blond, too brassy (I also have dark brown hair). But in a few days, they tone down on their own and everything is fine. This just happened on my last highlight and I was panicked. Then it all looked great. Same thing happened to my friend last week. Maybe you should wait a few days and then call her back if it doesn't improve.

Thanks for the info everyone. I still don't like my hair, but I'm feeling a bit more calm. Sounds like going back to her and having her put in some Toner is the way to go. (Hopefully in a good color choice!)

Well, IMO - one can never be "too blonde".... :goodvibes

Your hairdresser can and should correct the color on your hair. When was it done? A colorance toner should help correct the brightness of the blond streaks. Good luck!

Hi Lynne!! I got your PM and then had computer trouble yesterday (darn AOL. I think!)

Anyway, the suggestions you have gotten are correct. A toner will help. She has done too much and brought it up to the wrong color. It will not be hard to correct and she should do it for free. Did she weave it? Sounds to me like whichever technique she used, that she didn't do a good job getting it close enough to your scalp (big problem imo--you shouldn't feel like you already have roots) + with the highlights from last time still there --as your hair is long, it made you blonder still. A common problem--more must be better (eek! not always!!!)

Having the toner put on will help the brassiness, blend the roots and your natural color in with the lighter. You were due for a "beauty mishap" :lol be relieved it will be quickly fixed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter