• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP!! I can't decide on a deluxe!!

DeeCeeSW

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
Waiting for the new codes to come out so that I can hopefully experience a Disney deluxe hotel for part of my planned visit in November. I already have ressies for POR, but DH thinks that we can try to swing a deluxe for 4 of the 7 nights of our trip if the codes are good and we stay off-site for the first 3 nights of the trip. Only problem is, I can't decide which deluxe I want to stay in!!!! We will be celebrating our 5th Wedding Anniversary and will be bringing our 22-month-old DS with us. I have narrowed it down to the Poly (garden view), Yacht Club (standard view), and the Contemporary (tower view).

My question is: If you had to make a choice between these three for your first deluxe experience, which would it be? This will be a huge expense for us and it will be a long while before we can consider going deluxe again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dawn
NJ

I suggest the Poly, because you are bringing your young child. I am sure you will frequent the MK with him. Staying at the Poly is an ideal location!

Make sure you request a room with a patio or a balcony (some 2nd floor rooms at the Poly do not have balconies).

Have a great time and happy anniversary!!

Hi Dawn,

Just my opinion, but I'd rather stay the whole 7 nights in a Disney moderate than 3 nights off site & 4 nights at a deluxe.

Lisa

I'd actually try to go for 3 nights at one of the All-Star Resorts (I've stayed there before - for the price, they are an excellent value - and they are worth staying at over a Days Inn or something similar off-site) and then 4 nights at the Contemporary Tower. I stayed at the Contemporary Tower (on the Club Level) over the New Year holiday, and I have to say that the Contemporary is a great resort!!! We've also stayed at the other Magic Kingdom Resorts (GF/Poly/WL) and I think that the Contemporary is truly the best "Disney" resort (though I do still love the luxury of the Floridian - it's only around $5 a night more than a room at the CR Tower, so you could keep that as an option, too).

I agree with Cali, that you should stay at the AS's for the first 3 nights, as oposed to staying off site. there are often codes out for the AS's as well, you should probably be able to get a great rate.
as for a deluxe, my favorite is the Yacht Club. the location and theming, I just love. plus they are getting a complete rehab job starting July 1st, and they will be finished by November (and then working on the BC)
there is so much to do at the YC, walk to epcot and mgm, or take a boat. the bus to MK is only 10 - 15 minutes. very convenient. having the boardwalk there to walk around and play games is so much fun. also you have a tom of dining options all within walking distance. the pool at the YC is amazing, a mini water park, with a sandy beach kiddie pool for your little one to make sandcastles right at the pool! it is great.

however, the polynesian is a very nice relaxing tropical theme to, convenient to MK, take the monorail, or my favorite- the little ferry boat.

I dont particularly like the theming of the Contemporary.

let us know what you decide

also, I sent you a PM.

Laura :)

hi: i have another thought for you-if the wine and food festival is still running at epcot during the time of your visit, you may want to consider the yc for its proximity to epcot. we've stayed at the contemporary in the tower many times and the polynesian once over the years, but we prefer the epcot resorts area. also, your little one may like the pool at yc. stormalong bay has something for everyone from toddlers to older kids. if you'll be spending a lot of time at the mk, the boat from the polynesian makes it a very simple trip. the contemporary has a lot to offer as well-a short walk to the mk if you don't want to ride the monorail as well as chef mickey's. i think the idea of spending the first three nights in an all-stars is a good one as well. have a wonderful trip!

I would say either the Poly or the Contempo because they are a great distance away from the MK and they are both great resorts!

Hi all,
Thank you for your suggestions! You have all given me a lot to think about and I would love to hear more about each resort from others!

Regarding staying at an off-site place, we thought we'd try Homewood Suites or Hawthorn Suites in LBV by Downtown Disney for the first 3 nights. A suite will give us more room with DS, and I may be able to get a room for under $70 each night, which would save us a lot of $$$. I appreciate the suggestion to try one of the All Star resorts, however, I have read many posts regarding noise levels in the rooms (meaning you can hear people from other rooms) and I am sensitive to noise (plus my DS can be a light sleeper!). In fact, were we to keep our ressies at POR, I was planning on faxing a request for a top floor in the Mansions section so that we could at the least avoid hearing people walking above us.

Dawn
NJ

i'd go with 3 nights at AS and 4 nights at Poly . I just don't like staying of sight !!!!!!

Are you planning a dinner for just the two of you? If so, I would decide on the restaurant and then pick the resort closest to it if I were you. When our children were young, the few times we left them with sitters while on vacation I felt much better being close. So if you're dining at the California Grill , pick the Contemporary. If you pick a GF restaurant, stay at the Poly which is a short walk or launch ride away. If your choice is an Epcot or Boardwalk or Y&BC restaurant, stay at the YC.
If you're not planning on such a dinner, then I would vote for the Poly:D .

Out of your choices I would go with Yacht Club, my personal favorite is Beach Club which is attached to Yacht Club, the decor is just done up in lighter colors at the Beach Club. Either one would be great though, our kids our 4 and 6 and have been to the Y & B Club several times, they loved making sand castles at the kiddie portion of the sand bottom pool, storm along bay. Being able to walk over to Epcot and MGM is wonderful and sitting on the beach looking over at the Boardwalk is breathtaking.

The Polynesian is my favorite for our family:cool: I really like all of the resorts and hope to try them, but we just can't leave the Polynesian. We have young kids (7,3,1) and this will be our 4th visit. I think it appeals to families because of the great laid back atmosphere. I love the GCH, I think it's one of the best lobbies. I think the pool is the best for little kids. It has a zero-entry. I can sit with my youngest while she plays in the water. I know many people like SAB and we were going to give it a try but we decided against it because of the BCV opening. You only have one child to keep track of so it might be easier for you than it would me.
The Polynesian has great the transportation to the MK or Epcot. It's great to be able to walk right onto the monorail with a stroller. The boat ride is very peaceful.
It's hard to decide when I think each deluxe offers something unique;)
BTW we never travel without our sound machine. We stayed at ASMO and for the price I think it is a great deal. The toliets are loud but I don't remember people being loud. In fact I think the kids running down the halls at the Polynesian is louder!

Another vote here for the YC! Just remember, location, location, location. All of the Boardwalk area resorts have the convenience of the best location in WDW, IMHO. :D So close to so many things, and great theming to boot!:):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I agree. The noise level did not bother me at all at All Star Sports and I'm a VERY light sleeper. If there is any noise at all I cannot sleep. I think that the air conditioner helped drown out the noise at the All Star Sports----but we were right across from the pool (EXCELLENT ROOM!) where everything was going on -- and we had no trouble with noise.

The Polynesian was a different story! We could hear the kids running up and down the halls and asking people for "change for a dollar" at midnight! Just because you are at a deluxe does not mean that it's quieter or that the kids are more well-behaved. We also heard water and toilet noise from the next door neighbors. We could hear them come in at night as well.

Christina

I vote for the Polynesian. Rolling the stroller on and off the monorail is a huge convenience. The new volcano pool's zero entry is great with little guys. The theming is nice and relaxing and alot less frenetic than the Contemporary.

Have a fun trip wherever you stay! Oh and watch out for "cheap" off-site places - you truly get what you pay for at most of them. But I would probably stay at one of the "official hotels" by the Marketplace / Downtown Disney. The Marriott had some good deals.

Aloha!

when i took my two DS to wdw in 2000 (2 yrs and 4 yers) and in 2001 (3 yrs and 5 yrs), we stayed in the contemporary because we planned to spend most of our park time in mk. if you plan on being in mk a lot, you cannot beat the poly or the CR because of the MONORAIL (which many kids seem to think of as another "ride")...it is invaluable with a small child (when you're leaving the park at the end of the day with a tired child, i would rather take a 3 min monorail ride than deal with a bus) and you can roll a stroller on/off the monorail with ease. our kids loved the CR (chef mickey's, food and fun center), but the poly is great too (with a better theme). in addition, tour ds would probable like the electrical water float parade at night, which is only available at GF, Poly, CR and WL.

ps - even though the cr does not have an official "theme", boys really seem to love the idea of the monorail driving right through the middle of the hotel. my boys really love it there!

would be for the Yacht Club. You cannot beat the Epcot Resort Area. Another reason: Stormalong Bay - best pool on property. Or anywhere I've ever been actually. We've stayed at YC, BC, Grand Floridian and Contemporary as far as deluxe resorts go and hands down the YC/BC is our favorite.

Now, we don't have kids and you do but I honestly think you'll enjoy the experience. Stormalong Bay has a great section for little kids. With sand and all!

What do we like about Epcot Resort Area? Location to Epcot and MGM, the restaurants along the boardwalk, Fantasia Minature Golf, Beaches & Cream (I know...I know it's just a soda shoppe but we love it), and the entertainment, boating, and bike rentals along the boardwalk. Can't beat it.

PamNC

I would go with the Poly because of the monorail access, the new pool and the general layout of the property. Although I love the CT Tower, you have a little one and those balconies are very high and dangerous to that age child (not to say you would not be watching him every second :D ). Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!!!!!!
Once the codes come out (fingers crossed that the discounts will be good) I think I will inquire about the Yacht Club first (I assume that the Beach Club will be the same price?) and the Poly second. I think I'll save CR for when he's older (if we can afford it!).

Regarding the offsite part of my trip, I found out that I MAY be able to get a free 3-night stay somewhere using my HiltonHHonors points (not counting on it, though). I will also look into the DD hotels. I wish we could still stay at PO-R then move over to a deluxe. However, we need a lower rate than $133 plus tax for the first three nights if we're going to be able to afford a deluxe! I'm still thinking about the All Stars.

Thanks again!

Dawn
NJ

Just read that there will be construction going on at the YC during the time we would like to stay there (11/12-16). Apparently, the work will be done on the first floor. I guess I should just be looking into the Beach Club and The Poly??? What a disappointment.

Dawn
NJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter