Help! Homewood Suites in Kissimmee is no more

drncb

Earning My Ears
I'm in such a panic. This is a long story, but I just have to vent.

I made a reservation in May through the Hilton Web site for Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. I received an e-mail confirmation back. I just called today to reconfirm my reservation and extend my trip by one day. When I called the Hilton reservations site I was told my reservation didn't exist and that there wasn't a Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. I couldn't believe it! She kept asking me questions, checking whatever, and putting me on hold. In the end, because she didn't know what to tell me I guess, she transferred me without telling me and an answering system told me to call back during normal business hours. I was so angry I was shaking. I only have two weeks before my trip and she's telling me my reservation doesn't exist. I promptly called Hilton back and asked to speak with a manager. Lillian, the Hilton rep, offered to help me instead. She took my reservation number again and, like the first agent, told me that my reservation didn't exist and there wasn't a Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. I assured her that I made the reservation through the Hilton site and that as of May when I booked my reservation there was a Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. She went back and forth asking me questions and putting me on hold, all the while my blood pressure was rising. I insisted on speaking with a manager, but I was told there wasn't one to speak to, only supervisors who don't speak with customers. She finally asked me to look on my confirmation e-mail and tell her what the phone number for the Homewood Suites was. When I gave it to her, she called the number and told me the phone number was for the Palms Hotel and Villas in Kissimmee. They had my reservation. This is really where I flipped. How could I have a reservation at a place I've never heard of and get this reservation by going through the Hilton Web site? She didn't know. She didn't care. She told me to deal with the Palms and there was nothing she could do for me. When I brought up that Hilton must have sold Homewood Suites to this Palms Hotel, she speculated that it was possible. She still couldn't help me though, she told me. It wasn't Hilton's responsibility to tell customers if they sell a property. It's the responsibility of the new management. When I again asked to speak with a manager or be given a complaint number for Hilton she obliged. When I called the number, however, it was bogus. I then called Palms Hotel and Villas. They confirmed to me that as of last month they went from a Homewood Suites by Hilton to the Palms Hotel and Villas. When I complained about not being notified of the change, the Palms rep said they received a letter from Hilton stating that they would handle it. Now, what do I do? I wanted to stay at a Hilton. I am a Hilton Honors member. I've been trying to accrue points for a free stay. Do I cancel my reservations at the Palms Hotel? I don't know anything about the place. The only upside is that they're honoring the original Homewood Suites rate I received in May ($71.10/night for a family of five). Or, do I cancel my reservations at the Palms and try to book another Homewood Suites in the area? I'm not going to get the great price I got in May. Plus, the way I've been treated I'm considering boycotting Hiltons altogether. I only have two weeks before I go on vacation. What should I do? Where should I stay?

drncb said:
I'm in such a panic. This is a long story, but I just have to vent.

I made a reservation in May through the Hilton Web site for Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. I received an e-mail confirmation back. I just called today to reconfirm my reservation and extend my trip by one day. When I called the Hilton reservations site I was told my reservation didn't exist and that there wasn't a Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. I couldn't believe it! She kept asking me questions, checking whatever, and putting me on hold. In the end, because she didn't know what to tell me I guess, she transferred me without telling me and an answering system told me to call back during normal business hours. I was so angry I was shaking. I only have two weeks before my trip and she's telling me my reservation doesn't exist. I promptly called Hilton back and asked to speak with a manager. Lillian, the Hilton rep, offered to help me instead. She took my reservation number again and, like the first agent, told me that my reservation didn't exist and there wasn't a Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. I assured her that I made the reservation through the Hilton site and that as of May when I booked my reservation there was a Homewood Suites in Kissimmee. She went back and forth asking me questions and putting me on hold, all the while my blood pressure was rising. I insisted on speaking with a manager, but I was told there wasn't one to speak to, only supervisors who don't speak with customers. She finally asked me to look on my confirmation e-mail and tell her what the phone number for the Homewood Suites was. When I gave it to her, she called the number and told me the phone number was for the Palms Hotel and Villas in Kissimmee. They had my reservation. This is really where I flipped. How could I have a reservation at a place I've never heard of and get this reservation by going through the Hilton Web site? She didn't know. She didn't care. She told me to deal with the Palms and there was nothing she could do for me. When I brought up that Hilton must have sold Homewood Suites to this Palms Hotel, she speculated that it was possible. She still couldn't help me though, she told me. It wasn't Hilton's responsibility to tell customers if they sell a property. It's the responsibility of the new management. When I again asked to speak with a manager or be given a complaint number for Hilton she obliged. When I called the number, however, it was bogus. I then called Palms Hotel and Villas. They confirmed to me that as of last month they went from a Homewood Suites by Hilton to the Palms Hotel and Villas. When I complained about not being notified of the change, the Palms rep said they received a letter from Hilton stating that they would handle it. Now, what do I do? I wanted to stay at a Hilton. I am a Hilton Honors member. I've been trying to accrue points for a free stay. Do I cancel my reservations at the Palms Hotel? I don't know anything about the place. The only upside is that they're honoring the original Homewood Suites rate I received in May ($71.10/night for a family of five). Or, do I cancel my reservations at the Palms and try to book another Homewood Suites in the area? I'm not going to get the great price I got in May. Plus, the way I've been treated I'm considering boycotting Hiltons altogether. I only have two weeks before I go on vacation. What should I do? Where should I stay?

The hotel and staff probably are the same. Its not their fault they were sold and life goes on. If your happy with your rate and the hotel - I would fight to get my points. If you call and be 'polite but persistant' you are bound to find one sympathetic ear willing to throw you a bone.

Just my opinion.

I would keep your reservation if the hotel was only sold a month ago I am sure they haven't made any changes yet othe then the breakfast and afternoon reception. I however would make sure hilton know how mad I was about the way this was handled and I am not sure I would want to be a hilton honors member anymore unless you are really close to that free stay I think there point system sucks.

I would suggest visiting www.flyertalk.com Go to miles and points and then go to the hotel programs. They have someone from Hilton corporate that always posts on there. They may be able to offer some suggestions.

The property may not have been sold, Hilton doesn't actually own most of the hotels. My concern would be that Hilton dropped this location because it didn't meet their standards.

I don't see any way you'd get points for staying in a non-Hilton property.

I'd call back and see if one of the other Homewood Suites would honor your rate. Call Hilton first then call the other Homewood Suites directly. There is one near Lake Buena Vista on one off International Drive.

Thanks for the help and advice. I'm still considering all my options. I will call Hilton again and visit flyertalk as suggested, though. I just think it's rotten the way Hilton handled this situation. I'm sure there are people who have reservations with the Kissimmee Homewood Suites and still don't know it has changed hands. It seems like it should be illegal, if not at least unethical, in light of so much credit card fraud for Hilton to have passed along my reservation (including credit card info) to this "new" hotel.

Well, at least part (if not a lot) of the blame goes to the Palms Hotel and Villas. What normally happens when a hotel leaves a program is that the reservations are transferred to the new hotel. (And this is no different then when you made the Hilton reservation.. Hilton probably NEVER owned this hotel so the information has always been in the hands of this third party. So it's not illegal or unethical. The hotel industry works that way, most hotels are owned by franchisees, when you make your Holiday Inn reservation, the info is sent to XYZ corp who is a Holiday Inn franchise usually using the same system, but I have been to some places where they don't use the same system.) The new hotel normally contacts the customers to advise them of the name change so they don't drive around for hours looking for the Homewood Suites...It would be good customer service and would result in fewer customers who want to kill the desk clerk because they have been driving up and down 192 looking for them!

I have been contacted by hotels in the past when they changed brands. (Some hotels contact lots of past customers to assit them in finding them!)

Carol is, of course, correct. Your reservation is booked with a particular property not with Hilton itself. The hotel itself should have contacted you. Many guests book a hotel based on location and amenitites. They'd be happy staying in the same hotel with a different brand. In some cases the property may have been upgraded their affiliation and you'll benefit with a lower rate.

It sounds like you booked the hotel based on it's affiliation with Hilton. You'd be a lot happier if you called Hilton and even the other Homwood properties directly, and see if they'd honor your rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter