Help! First time with toddler @ MK

andreap82

Earning My Ears
1st thank you for opening this thread and taking the time to read. My husband and I have been to MK several times prior to our son being born. We were the couple that would get to the park for rope drop, run to the first 2-3 rides, have a list of the order of attractions, have many of the things we wanted to do done by 1-2pm. Go back to the room, freshen up and go back for dinner and more fun until we got tired.
Now that we will have a 2.5 year old, when we go 2 weeks before Christmas, for just one day, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and slightly anxious as I am VERY excited to be bringing my son there. Call it corny but I've always dreamt of doing this, taking my children to MK.
He is almost potty trained. He is doing very well now and I think he will be 99% trained by next month. He has met Mickey and friends on past trips to character dining and a trip to AK this past May. He can be a little shy when meeting for the first time. He is fairly easy going and pretty well behaved. When we went to AK in May we were in the car at 6am and he didn't have a meltdown until 3pm. The meltdown lasted 5 mins and he fell asleep in his stoller.
This trip we will be staying at the Wyndham Garden near Disney springs, arriving the day before with reservations at rainforest café in DS, driving to MK for reservations at Crystal Palace for 8am. EMH begin at 8am. I plan to bring snacks and drinks for him and us. Lunch will likely be QS and I think the park closes at 6pm for the Christmas party. It will be my mother, my husband and my son. My mom will be utilizing a scooter in the park.

Our fast pass day opens in a couple days and I want to be on ASAP.

These are the rides I definitely want to take him on:
I very much want to go see Mickey (I think in the town square??)
1. Dumbo
2.Winnie the Pooh
3. Teacups
4. tiki room
5. monster's inc laugh floor
6. Pirates of the Caribbean (my personal favorite)
7. haunted mansion (my husband thinks my son will be ok? )

My mom wants to go on small world...it's a long ride and it's something my husband and I don't really care for. I don't know if he will get bored on that. We may not go on this.

Other rides we are all interested in Peter Pan, magic carpets, philharmagic, jungle cruise, buzz lightyear space ranger spin, enchanted tales with belle

Rides my hubby and I want to ride on while Grandma is with my son:
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain

Am I right that we don't need a fastpass for the characters in the circus tent-daisy, goofy, Minnie and Donald??

We haven't been since they instituted the new fast pass system so I'm hoping you can give me some pointers.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

On our first family trip, my youngest was one. He stayed busy and happy in the little Frontierland play area ( right under SM or BTMRR?) while others rode the big rides....might make things easy for Grandma. Maybe someone can confirm whether or not it is still there....

I don't have enough experience to really help with your FP strategy...will suggest you may want to consider which rides are a tough same day FP find (Peter Pan) vs ones that are usually obtainable as same day FP if you get through your first 3 early enough. If I had a list of "must-dos" and "really wants" to fit into one day, I would be on Touring Plans website experimenting with different scenarios and checking their predicted wait times.

I'll try to respond to some of your points and questions in your quoted message below. I've taken ODD at almost 2, almost 3 and annually after that. YDD has gone in utero, 3 mo, 4.5 mo, and 21 months. We generally are big fans of the midday break but if you're staying offsite and the park closes at 6, I'd probably suggest a modified commando day instead. First things first - as you know with a toddler, you can have the best laid plans and teething, a meltdown or just randomness can really mess with your plans. I would definitely have a plan, but be prepared to follow his lead of necessary. Our girls, especially our oldest, loves WDW but can get overstimulated, so finding some quiet-isn rides and times were important for us. Especially at MK, which I never realized was so loud until I had kids.

1st thank you for opening this thread and taking the time to read. My husband and I have been to MK several times prior to our son being born. We were the couple that would get to the park for rope drop, run to the first 2-3 rides, have a list of the order of attractions, have many of the things we wanted to do done by 1-2pm. Go back to the room, freshen up and go back for dinner and more fun until we got tired.
Now that we will have a 2.5 year old, when we go 2 weeks before Christmas, for just one day, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and slightly anxious as I am VERY excited to be bringing my son there. Call it corny but I've always dreamt of doing this, taking my children to MK.
He is almost potty trained. He is doing very well now and I think he will be 99% trained by next month. He has met Mickey and friends on past trips to character dining and a trip to AK this past May. He can be a little shy when meeting for the first time. He is fairly easy going and pretty well behaved. When we went to AK in May we were in the car at 6am and he didn't have a meltdown until 3pm. The meltdown lasted 5 mins and he fell asleep in his stoller.
This trip we will be staying at the Wyndham Garden near Disney springs, arriving the day before with reservations at rainforest café in DS, driving to MK for reservations at Crystal Palace for 8am. EMH begin at 8am. I plan to bring snacks and drinks for him and us. Lunch will likely be QS and I think the park closes at 6pm for the Christmas party. It will be my mother, my husband and my son. My mom will be utilizing a scooter in the park.

Our fast pass day opens in a couple days and I want to be on ASAP.

These are the rides I definitely want to take him on:
I very much want to go see Mickey (I think in the town square??) [You may need a FP for this]
1. Dumbo [FP probably not necessary. Also the indoor play area he can stay in as long as he likes]
2.Winnie the Pooh [FP necessary unless you get on within the first hour of park open]
3. Teacups [FP not necessary]
4. tiki room [ditto]
5. monster's inc laugh floor [ditto]
6. Pirates of the Caribbean (my personal favorite) [Probably want a FP]
7. haunted mansion (my husband thinks my son will be ok? ) [I would play this one by ear - go if the line is short, but don't bother if the wait's too long. Because some kids are ok and some are not, and you don't want to be in the stretching room with a crying kid, having to take the chicken exit, and have burned a FP on that. Our ODD was ok the first time, but she buried her head in our laps for most of the ride.]

My mom wants to go on small world...it's a long ride and it's something my husband and I don't really care for. I don't know if he will get bored on that. We may not go on this. [Little kids love this. I am not sure why, but now we usually have to go on this multiple times... sigh. Our girls are 6 and 2. Maybe grandma can take your son while you ride some grownup rides? I also was not a big fan, but seeing how much my kids like it is part of the fun.]

Other rides we are all interested in Peter Pan [NEED FP!!!!], magic carpets, philharmagic, jungle cruise [usually need FP], buzz lightyear space ranger spin [need FP!!!!!], enchanted tales with belle [FP not usually necessary]

Rides my hubby and I want to ride on while Grandma is with my son:
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
[Have you considered 7 dwarves mine train? It's very short, but a lot more fun IMO than either of these "mountains"]

Am I right that we don't need a fastpass for the characters in the circus tent-daisy, goofy, Minnie and Donald?? [Correct]

We haven't been since they instituted the new fast pass system so I'm hoping you can give me some pointers. [I'm not sure w staying offsite - do you get MBs still, and scan them? Maybe someone else can answer this. But basically you should get the My Disney Experience app, link your tickets and you're good to go. Since you can't add another FP until after you've used all 3 or the windows have passed for all 3, I'd suggest you get 3 FP for the first half of the day so you can have a chance for later FP before the park closes.]

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I know the "first time" can seem like such a big deal, especially for longtime Disney fans like us, but rest assured that your son will have a great time no matter what you do! He won't know what he's missing, and you do want to give him time to absorb some of the little touches that we grownups may not have noticed. Our kids loved Small World, and also there was one trip that ODD just wanted the carousel ALL. THE. TIME. Some other unexpectedly magical and memorable moments: the time ODD at 3yo got selected to play the Beast, that time both our kids (and me, since the baby was on my lap) ended up as "characters" in the same Monsters, Inc. show - 6yo loved it and was thrilled, 2yo was "Boo" and was oblivious), letting our ODD spin the buzz lightyear vehicle while DH and I shot at the targets - made for a VERY random game. Also the shows and parades are a big hit and you may find yourself having to stop and dance along or watch something that you hadn't planned on watching. You will have a great time seeing it through your child's eyes for the first time, and even if you don't get to all the things you listed, you and he will have a wonderful time!

I personally would not skip IASW. My kids love it. I’ve brought my DD on at 12 months, 15 months (that time was at Disneyland) and 2.5yo.Every time she was mesmerized. I wasn’t sure what she would think this time at 2.5 - she LOVED it ans she begged to go on it again and again. So if you don’t like it, beware. Your kid may love it! I love it, so I didn’t mind going on over and over.

We took DS on right when he turned one and he is the same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter