Help! Don't know Where to Stay

irishone1979

Loves all, Serves God
I figure that someone out on the board will be able to help me. I am taking my soon to be in laws and my sister in law and her daughter plus me, my FH and my Daughter to WDW next year in December 2003. There will be 7 of us (or 8 if my soon to be brother in law decides to come with his wife) and we all want to stay in the same place. Maybe a villa or suite or something. Anyway, do any of you have suggestions. Also, my MIL just had triple bypass surgery so we would probably want something close to the elevators and to the shuttle system. We will probably rent a wheelchair or something while we are there.

Thanks in advance.

Heather K (In 5 days will be Heather S)

You might want to look into any of the villas. There's Old Key West, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club villas. I think a 2 bedroom villa sleeps up to 8. I think location wise, you'd be best at Boardwalk or Beach Club.

I know OKW has 3 bd villas (not positive about the others) BUT unless you are a DVC member, you cannot book rooms at any of the villas until 6 months before your trip. They need to leave them open for the members. We had the same problem and decided to just get a bunch of hotel rooms instead.

I'd get a grand villa at OKW. Its a great resort thats quiet enough to give you a break from everything. It will give you the most privacy for everyone. two thumbs way up!

I would just keep in mind that even though you can get a 2bdrm villa, there isn't much private space with 8 people. I'd consider getting 3 rooms at one of the resorts. It's great to travel with family(we did it last year with 3 rooms at the Poly) We were quick to discover that we all needed to do things at our own pace and appreciated the space to take brakes from each other. We were all on the same floor so we could just go from 1 room to the next.

Maybe three rooms is the way to go. I am looking at the prices for the villas and all and I don't know that my FH and I can swing it considering we are going this year for our Honeymoon and spending a lot of money. I guess I will just have to see what everyone else says. I know that I want to get it set up in plenty of time because I don't want to wait and then be told there are no rooms avaiable at all.
Thanks for all the advice!

Heather K (Soon to be Heather S- In 5 days)

If you are interested in a 2 Br Villa of a Grand Villa (3 br) you might want to check out the DVC Rent/Trade Board. You can find someone to rent points from, secure a reservation at 11 months, and save a lot compared to the published Disney rates.

irishone - I'm partial to the BoardWalk since it's our home resort. It's close to EPCOT and you can take the Monorail from EPCOT to the Magic Kingdom. It's an enjoyable walk to MGM although it might be easier for your group to take the boats. There's plenty to do and the villas are wonderful! If you have time while you're there for your honeymoon, take a look around and see for yourself!

Just a quick note --

If you are interested in staying at one of the DVC resorts, renting pts for your stay from a DVC member may be the only way you can get a ressie no matter what size vacation home you are looking for at that time of the year. As for the Grand Villa's, they are usually in very high demand and booked quickly by members as there are not very many of them and December would not be an easy month to get a ressie for one because although it may be a slow time of the season for WDW in general (not around christmas week of course) it usually tends to be busy time of the season for DVC when the rest of WDW is slower.

I was just at WL over the weekend (2wks ago) on cash and was talking to a woman at the pool who was down with her whole family and staying at the regular WL hotel part (not the villa's at WL) and she said that it was cheapper to get 3 rooms there than to have gotten a 2bdrm at OKW so renting from a member would definetly be less expensive than a cash ressie from what I've heard.

Good luck on your decisions and hope you have a great trip no matter what you decide!

I will take a look around there. My FH is saying that maybe we should just get 3 seperate hotel rooms for the price that we would all pay for the Villa. He is thinking we should stay at the All Star resorts or something, which wouldn't be bad, but not my first choice.
I have never been to the Boardwalk and that should be a fun experience.
We are staying at the WL for our honeymoon and that is my second time in a Disney Resort. The first time (last year) I stayed at All Star Sports with my parents. It was my daughter's first time to disney.
Thanks for all the advice. I will just have to check everything out while we are there this coming week and see.

I believe that 3 rooms is the best way. Agree with previous post that you will want some privacy and space and resort rooms will provide that. I have spent vacation time in Disney with family - 14 of us and it was important to be able to separate when necessary and come together when ready. Being in the same resort and on the same floor did the trick!

One of the DVC villes would be good. The two bedroom which consist of one studio room one Queen bed, maybe a double size sofa, bathroom. connected with a privated door to the one bedroomside. Which consisit of one room king bed, other room queen sizs sofa bed, kitchen and bathroom. This is good for a family of 8. You might want to have one extra studio and a two bedroom one. This would give more privacy to all. You can rent a skooter from off site that can be used 24 hrs a day. Lot of walking even from the BCV or the BWV's. Good luck have a great time.
:p :bounce: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :wave:
MickeyMinnie.gif

A 2 bedroom is too cozy for that many adults! And you want to stay close to your in-laws, right? ;)

There were lots of great deals this year for the Animal Kingdom lodge. Maybe there will be something for your dates. It's a beautiful resort, and the bus transportation is excellent. The busses are not shared with any other hotel, so you always have an empty bus at pick up, and you go directly back on the way home. The pool there is very nice & there are other activities if you want a break from the parks.

I agree with AKL.

they have had some good codes this year ($109).The bus transportation is VERY good and it really is a quiet, beautiful resort.

I've also heard good things about POFQ, if you are looking for a small resort. With 8 adults I would get 4 rooms at the AStars. It is a great value and if you spend lot of time at the parks, it is the way to go. The buses are very good .

If you want to be in the middle of the action and spend a little more, the Contemporary might not be a bad choice.

Congratualtions!!!!!

This is of the beaten path but look into renting 2 cabins @ Ft. Wilderness.You would be right next to each other,each have your needed space & privacy and they have a nice deck to socailize on in the evening without the worry of someone in the next room.Nothing is more peacfull than the porch of the cabins after a full day at "the world".I prefer them to the hotels.They also have small kitchens so you can save on some meals.....something to think about..good luck!

Tony

Thanks everyone. I don't mind my inlaws- they are really sweet people :) My sister in law is coming without her husband because he hates to travel anywhere if it doesn't involve rugby or golf tournaments. Go figure.
It's going to be 5 adults and 2 children. My daughter went to Disney last year and we stayed at All Star Sports. She didn't care what the room looked like :) She didn't sleep much anyway. I will have to look into the AKL. We are staying at the WL for my honeymoon in 4 days, so maybe I can check out other resorts then to see what would best work for all of us and then let the inlaws know :) They are all excited to go, but none of them are great at planning things so that is why I am doing it.
Thanks for all the advice and ideas!

Heather K (soon to be Heather S)

Heather -

Don't forget to calculate in the extra charge per room , per night for every adult over two in the room.

All Stars-$10
Mods- $15
Deluxe- $25

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter