Help Deciding Where to Stay

LynnTH

DIS Veteran
So, DH and I and kids (19DD and 21DS) had planned on going to Cabo for Spring Break (March 6-13th) but cancelled that with the new CDC restrictions. So decided we will go to Florida instead. This is not going to be a Disney Trip (doing that in May) mostly a Resort/Beach/Shopping - maybe Universal or Seaworld for a day or so.

Been looking at tons of options from Orlando and even Daytona, Cocoa Beach, Ft Lauderdale etc.. Looking for some place that has plenty that is open to do. Haven't decided on a car yet but will probably make sense to rent one or we will Uber/Lyft.

Here are the places in Orlando I have considered:
Margaritaville Orlando
Sheraton Vistana Resort
Wyndam Bonnet Creek
Orange Lake Resort

I have Chase Points I can use for any of these or looking at any other options. All but Margaritaville would most likely be 2 Bedroom Units (was way more to rent the cottages at Margaritaville and didn't have extended cancellation policy)

Can anyone who has been to any of these lately tell me what is all open at these places. Tried to look on Trip Advisor and got some info but seems to change quite a bit. Any other suggestions are welcome. Maybe something by Disney Springs?? I am so confused. Normally when we come to Florida it is for Disney (and stay at BWV) or it is before a Cruise (which I have had 3 cancelled..._)

Thanks in advance for any info!!

A lot of great information and discussion on this thread related to SVR:

The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1) | Page 112 | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

If you are more interested in Universal, SVV (V= Villages) is closer to Universal/Sea World.

I haven't been to SVR lately but I have enjoyed 3-4 trips there over the last 6-8 years.

I know WBC has a lot of fans on the boards also but I haven't tried any of the other resorts you mentioned (I tend to go for Marriotts and Sheraton 2BR villas)...

In All honesty Why go to Florida when you are going again in May ?

I have no idea where you live But Go and visit a different State in USA

And Explore .

I am Not from U.S.A. or from Canada ( live in Ireland ) But we do fly to Seattle & hire a car and drive to

The Grand Coulee Dam ...... Spokane & Priests River

Mt. Rainier, Yakima , Ellensburg are worth passing through to see the rivers & Scenery.

I have stayed in all these except Margaritaville, but I have driven past it so at least I know the area.

First, I would rent a car. It is going to be so much easier as for a non-parks trip you will want to drive all over.

For a non-Disney trip, the most central location is Vistana. That is a nice resort with more of an apartment complex feel. It is a bit more dated than Bonnet Creek, but still fine.

The resort with the most stuff around it is Bonnet Creek, but it is all Disney stuff. This can be good if you want to explore resorts, Disney Springs and the like. Some people don't like having a Disney theme-park view when they can't go, however.

The drive from Orange Lake and Margaritaville to anywhere is longer than Vistana, so I wouldn't favor those.

To me, it is between Vistana and WBC.

I'll add that in Florida, pretty much everything is open right now. There are no restrictions unless the resort has them.

In All honesty Why go to Florida when you are going again in May ?

I have no idea where you live But Go and visit a different State in USA

And Explore .

I am Not from U.S.A. or from Canada ( live in Ireland ) But we do fly to Seattle & hire a car and drive to

The Grand Coulee Dam ...... Spokane & Priests River

Mt. Rainier, Yakima , Ellensburg are worth passing through to see the rivers & Scenery.
We are from Minnesota, so want to go somewhere warm. And flights into Orlando are really cheap. We have had to cancel 4 trips this past year and just want to get away for a bit and soak up the sun. (Hopefully)

I have stayed in all these except Margaritaville, but I have driven past it so at least I know the area.

First, I would rent a car. It is going to be so much easier as for a non-parks trip you will want to drive all over.

For a non-Disney trip, the most central location is Vistana. That is a nice resort with more of an apartment complex feel. It is a bit more dated than Bonnet Creek, but still fine.

The resort with the most stuff around it is Bonnet Creek, but it is all Disney stuff. This can be good if you want to explore resorts, Disney Springs and the like. Some people don't like having a Disney theme-park view when they can't go, however.

The drive from Orange Lake and Margaritaville to anywhere is longer than Vistana, so I wouldn't favor those.

To me, it is between Vistana and WBC.
Thanks for that info. That helps.

I'll add that in Florida, pretty much everything is open right now. There are no restrictions unless the resort has them.
[/QUOTE
Just kind of wondering at stuff at the resorts. I know lots of activities may be closed but wondering about all the pools and restaurants. Some resorts dont have everything open so seeing what resort may have the most open. Would even consider a resort on the ocean- but that just confuses me even more. So many options.

I know at Wyndham Bonnet Creek everything is open now except for the hot tubs.

For a specific resort I would call ahead, but most likely all the pools will be open and at least some of the restaurants.

If you live somewhere where lots of things are shut down, it is not that way in Florida.

As for the beach, how much you enjoy that can really depend on the weather. Where you stay at the beach obviously makes a huge difference. Destin isn't the same as Miami.

That is Bike Week in Daytona, so that area will be packed.

No matter where you go in Florida, despite the pandemic, March is still "the season" with snowbirds, so there will be people around.

I know at Wyndham Bonnet Creek everything is open now except for the hot tubs.

For a specific resort I would call ahead, but most likely all the pools will be open and at least some of the restaurants.

If you live somewhere where lots of things are shut down, it is not that way in Florida.

As for the beach, how much you enjoy that can really depend on the weather. Where you stay at the beach obviously makes a huge difference. Destin isn't the same as Miami.

That is Bike Week in Daytona, so that area will be packed.

No matter where you go in Florida, despite the pandemic, March is still "the season" with snowbirds, so there will be people around.
Didnt realize it was bike week. Will definitely stay away from Daytona. As much as I would love the beach. I feel there is just more to do in Orlando. I can only be in the sun so long. At as you said. It all depends on the weather.

I’ve been loving some of the houses at Windsor Hills-and they are very reasonable.

I’ve been loving some of the houses at Windsor Hills-and they are very reasonable.

I am starting to lean this way. I just looked online at my Chase Travel and there are houses I am able to book with points. Would be nice to have a house with a pool and then can get groceries and not have to eat out all the time.

Was also looking at Reunion- but after reading a bunch, seems it is more out of the way and very spread out.

Off to look more at the Windsor Hills options...

I can't say enough about Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We often go there for vacation we don't even do the parks we just enjoy the resort and relax its perfect. I have never been to windsor hills. I have considered it but I worry that it won't feel vacationy enough for me to really relax. WBC is paradise in my eyes

Have you considered going to Aquatica? If you get annual passes you can go again on hot days in May. Vistana is the closest of the four you mentioned.

I would rent a car to make takeout dining easier.

There are two Sheraton Vistana resorts. One is fine, the other gets consistently bad reviews. I stayed in the one with bad reviews once (on accident) and will never, ever do it again. I much prefer the Marriott Vacation Club properties. It's worth the time reading reviews on Trip Advisor before making a decision.
I know you're considering Orlando area, but I am looking for somewhere for my family to go during an upcoming break. In addition to Orlando, I am considering the following:
The Tampa-Clearwater/St. Pete area may be a good option. I have been looking at vacation rentals on Anna Maria Island. Also consider the middle Keys--Hawks Cay Resort looks appealing. I am considering it for an upcoming break.

There are two Sheraton Vistana resorts. One is fine, the other gets consistently bad reviews. I stayed in the one with bad reviews once (on accident) and will never, ever do it again. I much prefer the Marriott Vacation Club properties. It's worth the time reading reviews on Trip Advisor before making a decision.
I know you're considering Orlando area, but I am looking for somewhere for my family to go during an upcoming break. In addition to Orlando, I am considering the following:
The Tampa-Clearwater/St. Pete area may be a good option. I have been looking at vacation rentals on Anna Maria Island. Also consider the middle Keys--Hawks Cay Resort looks appealing. I am considering it for an upcoming break.

Yeah - now DH says he does not want to go to Orlando. (He is not a Disney/Theme Park person - me and the kids go without him on those trips). So, I have started looking more for beach vacations and am getting totally overwhelmed. It's hard looking at the accommodations and seeing the price for a standard room the same as I can get a 2-3 Bedroom at a Orlando Resort or a 5 Bedroom House. Ughhh!!! Let me know if you come up with any good options. My brain is fried from looking at so many different options - also want somewhere that we can do more than lay on the beach.

I so feel you. We have Bahamas booked but scared of the testing requirements to come home. We just did a trip at Windsor Hills during Xmas break and I am itching to go back - staying off site and exploring was amazing! But hubby most likely will not want to go back so soon and I get it. I could move there tomorrow! I’m hitting the research train hard Bc the thought of being stuck at home during spring break is making me so bummed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter