• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help combining Disney and universal

Sb4

Earning My Ears
Has anyone found a great way to do a couple of days at both Disney and Universal studios without totally breaking the bank?

We were looking a the buy 2 get 1 free day at Universal, plus 2 days MYW at Disney. However, as I play with tickets, I see that we could spend 10 days at just Disney for less.:crazy2: We don't have 10 days to spend there, but it's the principle. I do understand that it's more costly to do both theme parks, but am hoping someone has found some way to make it a little more affordable.

Thanks!

Has anyone found a great way to do a couple of days at both Disney and Universal studios without totally breaking the bank?

We were looking a the buy 2 get 1 free day at Universal, plus 2 days MYW at Disney. However, as I play with tickets, I see that we could spend 10 days at just Disney for less.:crazy2: We don't have 10 days to spend there, but it's the principle. I do understand that it's more costly to do both theme parks, but am hoping someone has found some way to make it a little more affordable.

Thanks!
UndercoverTourist offers a discount for buying both Disney & Universal tickets in a single order. It's a $10 savings over just ordering the tickets separately.

Otherwise, I don't think that you're going to find any huge discounts on 2-day MYW tickets for Disney. The real discounts start with 4 or more days and increase dramatically if the tickets are hoppers.

It seems that there isn't much discount at all.

Both resorts are structured almost so that if you are in a budget frame of mind you have to pick one or the other.

I have a Disney annual pass so Disney is pretty much paid for on my next visit - my 3rd week on the annual pass.

Still, that said I'm having a difficult time justifying a Universal visit. I want to go see their newest attractions. I saw the first of the Harry Potter stuff but now they've added more.

It seems that there isn't much discount at all.

Both resorts are structured almost so that if you are in a budget frame of mind you have to pick one or the other.

I have a Disney annual pass so Disney is pretty much paid for on my next visit - my 3rd week on the annual pass.

Still, that said I'm having a difficult time justifying a Universal visit. I want to go see their newest attractions. I saw the first of the Harry Potter stuff but now they've added more.

Get a Universal annual pass of some type...it's by far the cheapest way to enjoy the attractions if you already plan to be in FL a lot anyway (with the Disney one)...

Get a Universal annual pass of some type...it's by far the cheapest way to enjoy the attractions if you already plan to be in FL a lot anyway (with the Disney one)...

My parents are Florida residents, and they are going with us. I know that season / annual pass holders can buy discount tickets to universal. I wonder if that includes buying discounted tickets for non-residents. Maybe I will just call universal. We have done Disney multiple times, but never universal.

I have priced out universal. If you buy one AP you can get discounts on rooms during certain times of year and you can buy discounted tickets for others in your party. If you stay deluxe you get unlimited front of line access. Is it cheap? Heavens no. But it seems to be a good value for your money. I will add that you have to pay to park even if you stay there.

We haven't made the trip yet but I still want to.

there is no budget way to do it... it's designed that way. It's cheaper to do just one or the other. I've done both, but it wasn't too budget lol.

We are also doing both and it definitely adds to the cost. The royal pacific hotel is less per night then our animal kingdom reservation, but the park tickets are the killer. We are thinking 3 days universal and then 5 at Disney.

I'm a local and Disney AP holder, I have a hook up for Universal as my BIL works there so we can get tickets when we want. So with that said, I first would decided are you looking at a split stay between WDW and UV, or are you going to stay at one and Uber or Lyft, or will you have your own car to go back and forth.

For a short trip, I personally would skip all the resort changing and make the most of your vacation time. For me I would only stay at one resort you have to take into consideration that moving resorts will take up some of your precious vacation time, So you check out at one at 11:00 then can't check in till 3 or 4... I am a unpack once kinda gal.

Disney's resorts will have a wider price range which can help the budget.

I helped some friends plan their trip which was this past April, they were here for 9 nights, here's how things shook out.

They decided on staying at POFQ, which they loved for the whole trip. This was their 1st time staying at a moderate resort. It saved them around 800.00 for 2 nights at UV, that includes tax and parking by staying at put at WDW for the whole trip.

Originally they were going to do the 2 day, 2 park ticket, plus upgrade to UV front of the line deal. I suggested that they start with a 1 day 2 park ticket, and see what the park was like before adding in the front of the line, also they could always add more days on their tickets if they wanted to. The day they went the park was not that busy, so they skipped the front of the line cost.

They used Uber as they planned on having some adult beverage at dinner time, and left the rental car in the parking lot at POFQ.

They got there when the park opened, and spent all day between the parks, had late dinner at Margaritaville at City walk, then grab a Uber back to POFQ. They decided not to go another day, as they got everything that they wanted to see and do done in one day. So I guess what I am trying to say start small then you can upgrade if you want to. They ended up saving quite a bit as with a family of 4 the extra cost of the 2 day tickets was I think around or a little over 400.00 dollars.

With the free day the went to the outlet mall and did some serious retail therapy shopping, then went back to spend the evening at the pool and Disney Springs.

Really you can only decide what's right for your family. Whatever you decide have a fun time planning and even more fun when you arrive...

We've had the same struggle this year. I'd always thought Disney tickets were expensive until trying to buy Universal! Undercover Tourist was definitely the cheapest option we could find, but still high (and no discount for one day P2P Universal tickets). We balanced the cost by staying offsite which was half the price of our usual onsite Disney hotel.

When we did this we stayed at AKL and just rented a car to drive to Universal Studios. This worked out good for us in that it also gave us a chance to drive around Orlando and hit a couple malls. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter