HELP! Can you Iron satin material?

The Dark Dancer

DIS Veteran
Help please! :guilty:

My Mom wants to know if you can iron satin material. My Valentines Dance Dress is red satin and we really need to iron it or something. Can y'all help? :scratchin

Thanks alot! Ya'll are the best!!! :grouphug:

I have ironed satin before...no steam, low heat...but usually, I bring it to the dry cleaners just to be safe.

I think I would be a little worried about ironing it. What does the care label say? And I think a dry cleaner is a good idea.

Okay, thank y'all. I really need to do the quickest thing because, the dance is tommorrow night! :hourglass

All the care label says is: "Professional Dry Clean only" :confused3

We don't have a cleaners anywhere near by though. :guilty:

Thanks! :grouphug:

Anyone else tried it? :confused3

If you have to iron it yourself, try to do it inside out with a towel over the fabric. I had to iron a skirt of DD's that was "coated linen" - when I tried to iron it the regular way, the iron stuck, but doing it inside out it worked fine. And putting a thin towel between the iron and the fabric (not a thick bath towel) should help, too - the heat will still get to the fabric, but the iron won't stick and melt anything.

Another option is to steam it - hang it on the back of the bathroom door and run a hot shower - see if that will help anything (obviously, don't get the dress wet!!!)

Have fun - even if you have a few wrinkles!!! Remember, everyone will be wrinkled and sweaty an hour after the dance begins!!

DVCLiz said:
If you have to iron it yourself, try to do it inside out with a towel over the fabric. I had to iron a skirt of DD's that was "coated linen" - when I tried to iron it the regular way, the iron stuck, but doing it inside out it worked fine. And putting a thin towel between the iron and the fabric (not a thick bath towel) should help, too - the heat will still get to the fabric, but the iron won't stick and melt anything.

Another option is to steam it - hang it on the back of the bathroom door and run a hot shower - see if that will help anything (obviously, don't get the dress wet!!!)

Have fun - even if you have a few wrinkles!!! Remember, everyone will be wrinkled and sweaty an hour after the dance begins!!

i agree with this method. i've ironed satin materials before and they've come out looking fine. test a small patch on the bottom though first to make sure that it doesn't do anything bad. inside out is usually the best, since it's usually the rougher side of the satin and won't lose luster if you iron over it. steam is really the way to go if you can buy one of those small hand held steam irons, that would really be the best, but if you can't use a low setting on the iron. the cooler the better for satin really.

http://www.cyberpathway.com/cgi-bin/imgart/print.pl?article=37

I used to work in a small bridal shop that also sold prom gowns and better dresses. Our formals often came in wrinkly. We steamed the wrinkles out. Do you know any friends with steamers? They sell them pretty cheaply now, they are a quick and easy alternative to irons, especially for things like formal dresses and curtains :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter