Heating oil price rise more YIKES!!!!!!!

peacefulgirl

DIS Veteran
I have been calling different places for plans. In July it was 2.14 gal, now it's 2.40... and it's not winter yet! I think I may throw up !!!!!!! :sick:

Tell me about it! I'm dreading the oil bills this winter. Our heater broke the end of last winter and my Husband decided the best thing to do was to stick with oil heat and get a new oil heater. He really believed that prices would never get out of control.

We are on the bugdet plan. The amount we pay has increased steadly. I think we will be using the fireplace allot this winter.

We had a second fuel tank installed 2 years ago.
We got our tanks filled for $1.95/gallon last month. My dad got his filled for $1.91 a few days after we did.
My brother just got his filled for $2.35.
I am hoping for a very mild winter. Sigh.

Changing a heating system in a home is no small job, but......has anyone thought of putting in off peak electric heat. We have radiant off peak electric heat and totally love it. It's clean, no hassle and affordable. We have a huge house. Maybe it's worth talking about with your local electric company. I wouldn't change our heating system for the world. Just my 2 cents.

My mother just filled her oil tanks at the beginning of August and paid $1.99 and I thought that was high. We leave outside of Pittsburgh PA.

I just filled up ours for 2.15 a gallon in Northeastern PA. The company we've been using does not offer a rate lock, but they are about .30 cheaper than all the other local cos. around here. I think we'll just ride it out, hope for the best, and wear a lot of layers!

I just got a letter from my propane company , the highest they will go this year is $1.84 a gallon , I am saving that letter like gold. But I plan on using my fireplace a lot more too....

Ugh, we just went thru this whole thing too.

Our oil co used to just price cap it if you were on their automatic fill program (they came when they thought you would need a refill) and last year the cap was at $2.11. This year they decided to switch to a prepay, fixed budget or price cap plan. Prepay was $2.14, fixed budget was $2.24 and the Price cap plan was maxed at $2.34. But you had to pay $70 for the price cap plan. Plus the just sprung this on us, they sent us a letter on 8/2 say we had until 8/1 to decide. Grrr. We would have gone for the prepay plan but we just couldn't afford to pay and extra $2300 right now.

What is off-peak electric? I recently added a dormer with bed/bath/office (open floor for bath/office end of house) and my dad who did the renovations convinced me to install electric heat. I am so glad I relented...

The bath has an electric heat blower that I put on when I wake, go downstairs and start the coffee pot. By the time I get back, the bath (maybe 9x9) is warm and I keep the heater running until I get out of the shower and then shut it off. THe room stays plenty warm while I do my "maintenance routine", 15-20 minutes.

THe bedroom has electric baseboard heat which I put on one hour before I go to bed (if it's under 40 degrees or if I'll be hanging out there watching television) and then shut it off when I get in bed.

The office is heated by the oil heat system on the first floor as it is wide open to that floor (like a loft plan). It did get cold there last winter so I'm thinking about buying an electric fireplace that we can put on for both warmth and ambience when we are up there, which is alot, that's where the computer is :flower:

I don't think my electric increased more than $20/month in the coldest months last year. Of course, it cost me almost double what it used to cost me to heat the rest of the house with oil, considering the additional room upstairs and the very, very cold weather we had last winter.

BTW, I got a pre-paid plan for $2.149, with a fillup at $1.99 to start. They still haven't come to fill me up which works for me. I think I've still got 1/4 tank and would just as soon they wait as long as possible -- hey every bit counts, at a 15 cents savings x 250 gallons, well, you do the math, I'm kinda tired. :rotfl:

I can't find anyone that will lock in here. My budget would be 275.00 month for 12 months!!!! They stop setting up new budget plans at the end of Aug so gotta decide! I hate this! WAAAAA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter