Hearing Aids

Lynda Hunter

Hisgrl7
This may seem like a silly question, but I am trying to help my MIL out for our trip in a couple of weeks. She has just gotten hearing aids and is concerned about losing them on the rides. Has anyone had an issue with this? Any tips?

My daughter has a behind the ear aid and has worn it on everything from Space Mountain to Rock 'n' Roller with no problems.

The only thing we pull it off for is water rides. I take a small Tupperware container to put it in my purse for water rides, or in case of a downpour.

Just be careful with wearing masks - don't know how many times my mom has snagged her hearing aids on the cord of her mask, and flung one across the room, etc. Would stink to have that happen at Disney!

that is the biggest problem my dad has with masks- they tangle with his aids

If you don't want to take the hearing aids out (safest way) of the ear for rides maybe using a headband would work; just make sure the ears are completely covered and get the widest ones you can get. Ear muffs would help keep them in, too but if you are going during hot weather that may not work too well.

No matter what you use you are taking a chance on rides if you don't take them out.

Maybe for the trip buy a cheap pair of hearing aids just for the parks; the over the counter type could work and if you lose them it's not as bad. Maybe, even get two sets just in case.

There really is no easy answer, here.

Last edited:

There’s also several videos on YouTube that show how to keep from launching or dropping hearing aids when removing a mask. I can’t remember the details, except it was quite clever.

One of my best friends is an audiologist; he’s said that if the device is fitted correctly it should stay in place even on the roughest roller coaster.

I have worn hearing aids for about seven years and have been to Disney World at least three times a year all that time. Mine have never fallen off or even partially out. I ride Big Thunder and Slinky but not Everest or RNR since I am a ride chicken. I don't even think about them any more. The only precaution I take is if it is pounding, blowing rain I take them off and put them in a little pouch in my purse. Usual rain doesn't get past my poncho and visor.

I wear a hearing aid on my right side with a custom full shell earmold and a cochlear implant processor on my left side. Hearing aid pretty much stays on during every ride. (Maybe not Kali or Splash). Implant will come off on any ride that is jerky or over a high area that would make it hard to retrieve (roller coasters mainly), since I don’t trust the magnet to hold that tight.

Even with the masks, I’ve not really had an issue with them pulling off either of my devices as my ear mold keeps my aid pretty much in place.

I could see it being an issue with the domes or the half shell ear molds since those aren’t as a tight of a fit as the full shell.

I have worn hearing aids for about seven years and have been to Disney World at least three times a year all that time. Mine have never fallen off or even partially out. I ride Big Thunder and Slinky but not Everest or RNR since I am a ride chicken. I don't even think about them any more. The only precaution I take is if it is pounding, blowing rain I take them off and put them in a little pouch in my purse. Usual rain doesn't get past my poncho and visor.
Kiddo has had her aid the same length of time, and she rides both Everest and RNR with no issues. A bucket hat protects hers from most rain, although we had her take it off it in August when we got monsooned in the back of Epcot after they shut the skyliner down. 😂 She's had both full shell and skeleton earmolds, and both types have stayed in without an issue.

I've got behind-the-ear aids and have also not had an issue with them falling off on rides. Masks can be annoying (not related to rides), but those ear-savers would be helpful.

And if course the kiddo announces today that her earmold is loose, with a disney trip in a month. Luckily, our local children's hospital said they can put a rush on a new one, and we are able to get in tomorrow. A loose earmold I wouldn't trust on a roller coaster.

And if course the kiddo announces today that her earmold is loose, with a disney trip in a month. Luckily, our local children's hospital said they can put a rush on a new one, and we are able to get in tomorrow. A loose earmold I wouldn't trust on a roller coaster.
Well it was better than telling you the day before 👍….

There’s also several videos on YouTube that show how to keep from launching or dropping hearing aids when removing a mask. I can’t remember the details, except it was quite clever.

So here’s the video I saw. It is specifically for people who also wear glasses.
Keeping hearing aids from getting lost while wearing a mask & glasses

My son has a behind-the-ear aid too and has worn it on every ride. It doesn't bother him, so I can suggest you try it. There are hearing aids on sale in the very good shop, where I always buy them for my kid. Maybe you'll find something for yours too.

My son has a behind-the-ear aid too and has worn it on every ride. It doesn't bother him, so I can suggest you try it. There are hearing aids on sale in the very good shop, where I always buy them for my kid. Maybe you'll find something for yours too.
Please elaborate. I’ve never heard of the very good shop, and Googling didn’t help.
Thanks.

I came across the same problem when my dad got hearing aids. To prevent them from falling off on rides, consider using special clips or bands designed for hearing aids. These accessories can provide extra security and peace of mind during the trip.

Did you find some good looking bands actually? When I was fitted for a hearing aid (back in the 80s) the technician poked my eardrum and I've had ringing ever since. That was in the days no one would consider filing a lawsuit. I didn't keep the hearing aid. Hated it. Now they appear much improved, but the cost is prohibited. Maybe there is a point to buy some used one as hearing aid repairs seem to be more affordable. What is your opinion on this one?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter