Healthy Meals @ Restaurants

Kpulle

Earning My Ears
We are traveling to DL Dec 9-16, 2006 for the first time and I need to know the restaurants that serve the healthiest foods. I'm mostly interested in low fat, low sugar items. We want to eat at the sit down restaurants and not just the service counters that may offer fresh fruits, ect. Thanks for the help.

I really enjoyed the Carnation Cafe when we went in August. They had fresh sandwiches, salads, and soups.

I'd definitely recommend going to allearsnet.com and check out their menus. They have fairly detailed menus for the venues in DL.

We typically bring in some veggies and fruit/fruit cups because we don't get any of those things at DL/WDW, really. Oh, and water, as it's so expensive to buy there!

Sorry I wasn't more helpful, I've only been to a handful of the restaurants that are in DL now.

Took a quick peek at allears and Bengal BBQ seems to have grilled meat skewers, French market has soups and salads, as I recall most of the larger counter service offered salad (including fruit salads) and grilled chix and other non-fried sandwich options, Clarabelles offers frozen yogurt, and then there's the infamous Dole Whips.

I'd imagine any of the sit down restaurants will have a number of options available to you. And, if you call ahead, or while you're making reservations, they will be able to accomodate just about any dietary request. They may have you contact the restaurant directly before going. I've heard of them making complete no wheat cakes at WDW restaurant before to accomotate a little girl's bday. You can always ask for things without sauce, butter, etc., too.

I'm sure if you play around in the men

When you get your park map, look for the little "apples". The apples will help show you which locations have healthy options.

Red Rockets in Tomorrowland have nice salads. I went there a few times during my recent trip

We just got back, and were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to eat healthy while there. DH is on a medically-restricted very low fat diet, so we were a bit worried about eating in the park. As it was we ate almost all our lunches and dinners there, and had no trouble at all. We ate turkey or chicken sandwiches, fruit plates, side salads, big salads, chicken salads, baked chicken, barbeque chicken, grilled chicken, pasta with marinara.

DH was very happy that he wasn't stuck eating greens all day long. It was a lot of chicken, but because of the variety in preparations, it didn't get old.

Edited to add: There are only 3 full-service restaurants at DL. One of them is Carnation Cafe on Main St. I believe Blue Bayou is another, but I can't remember the third... So unless you are willing to only go to these three, you'll be doing some counter service.

There are a lot of healthy choices at both the counter and sit down restaurants. My favorite is the Portobello Mushrooms and cous cous at the Blue Bayou.

You will not have a hard time finding healthly food at DLR. There are fruit and veggies food stands throughout DL and DCA. I always get a fruit plate to share with my girls in the morning and a veggie platter in the afternoon. It does take a little planning so make sure you get PS at the sit-down restaurants in DL and DCA. One of our favorite places is the Carnation Cafe. Good salads as well as healthly choices for kids' meals. I have found if I don't plan ahead, we end up eating what is quick--fast food! Red Rocket Pizza Port is another good healthy place to eat. We really enjoy the salads, grilled chicken and milk!

I am on a low glycemic index diet and have had no problems finding healthy foods to eat. I use the internet and plan my meals every day so I know what to eat and when. Then there are no surprises or last minute buys that raise the ole blood sugar! Oh, and we avoid the buffet character meals--we eat at Lilo and Stitch for breakfast meal. You can order off the menu and not pig out at the buffet!

The Plaza Inn at lunch and dinner has very nice side salads. They are not made with iceberg lettuce but rather a nice, leafy variety. They will also give you a side of green beans if you ask for it. They have a fried chicken meal that comes with green beans but you can just get the beans and skip the fried food! Also, there are various fruit stands around the park. Storytellers has a nice breakfast buffet in a nice atmosphere. I ate very healthy there, I got oatmeal, fruit and asked for an egg white omlette which they were more than happy to make. I also did well at Goofy's, again sticking to the salads and they had a roast pork tenderloin that was very good as well as salmon. The counter service places will generally substitute carrots for fries. Taste Pilots Grill in DCA has a nice grilled chicken sandwich on a wheat bun. They have a nice fixings bar with fresh tomato slices and big romaine lettuce leaves. They will substitute carrots there for fries (at least they did for me). I also enjoy Carnation Cafe, they have some nice sandwiches and will sub a side salad for chips. Hope that helps! I did very well on my Weight Watchers program at Disneyland in June and between the healthy options and the walking I didn't gain a pound the whole week!

Thanks for all the great info. I'm not as worried now that it looks like I won't be eating salad all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter